[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are all modern academic philosophers just sophists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: plato.jpg (66 KB, 412x462) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
66 KB, 412x462
Are all modern academic philosophers just sophists?
>>
>>1065384

Probably. how you say something has always been more important than what you say.
>>
Sounds to me like you think sophism is a bad thing.
Ides become popular because they are presented through ascribing them to methodologies of truth.
This is this way and this way cause current methodolgy(scientific method these days) is what is truth.
The universe expanded 13 billion years ago cause our current method of truth finding says so..
Sophists, even back then, knew there was no truth. What is is one's ability to present a reality by latching onto the day's authoritative people, methodologies, techniques..
>>
>>1065880
As a stepping stone to convince people to invest time and thinking into your ideas, thus understanding them, interpreting them and making them their own.
>>
File: 1461847233867.jpg (20 KB, 720x533) Image search: [Google]
1461847233867.jpg
20 KB, 720x533
Not all of them. Most of them are. Academia breeds sophistry.
>>1065880
Pic related
>>
>>1065893
See? This guy is doing it right now. He is using memes and a work of art to elicit humor.
Its catchy, short, concise. He has done a better job than me in using this place's tools and accepted techniques of information delivery and persuasion.
>>
File: 1462057567691.png (429 KB, 399x614) Image search: [Google]
1462057567691.png
429 KB, 399x614
>>1066002
That isn't an argument, though
The presence of memes not not negate the validity of an argument
You fucking idiot
Not that I need to make an argument, when I'm asking you to make one in support of a point you've already made
You fucking idiot
>>
I don't think that is entirely accurate, as most current academic philosophers would be more than pleased to discuss their ideas with you without monetary compensation.

Though, due to the more recent developments of the education system, by outwards appearance all would seem to be streamlined behind a paywall.
>>
File: stef.jpg (32 KB, 750x400) Image search: [Google]
stef.jpg
32 KB, 750x400
>Are all modern academic philosophers just sophists?
not an argument
>>
Sophists were just people paid for teaching any number of things, philosophy being one of them. So yes, if you consider that bad, modern academics are sophists.

Of course, so was Aristotle, despite his apparent dislike of sophistry. What's pretty clear is that if you want to spend your life thinking and writing you'll need some way to buy bread.

The snarl word "sophist" today is just carrying on Plato's resentment.
>>
>>1068247
>The snarl word "sophist" today is just carrying on Plato's resentment.
>>1068207
>>1068069
>>
>Modern Philosophers

Just makes me cringe thinking of someone introducing themselves as one
>>
>>1071530
>Guten morgen, I'm Gottfried Wilhelm Liebnitz, modern philosopher.
>>
>>1065880
Its really too bad that no one lives this way....
Its also too bad that everyone who claims this is true is in the end tautologically fucking themselves over.
>>
>>1065384

Fuck this board. How the fuck is Stuff-in Mah-Lil'-Noo more talked about than motherfucking Plato.
>>
>>1073536
this board is filled to the brim with aristotle babbies anyway
they cease any chance they get to derail threads about our boy
>>
>>1075291
This board is actually full of French idiots.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.