[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where the fuck do I start reading if I want to learn about ancient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: tmp_9074-map_canaan-1687406032.jpg (58 KB, 388x540) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9074-map_canaan-1687406032.jpg
58 KB, 388x540
Where the fuck do I start reading if I want to learn about ancient Canaan?

The internet seems to have few resources.
>>
>>1065113
what do you mean by Ancient Canaan? Like pre-biblical? Before Judea popped up in there?
>>
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1355285
>>
>>1065118
>Before Judea popped up in there?
Yeah. Particularly interested in culture, mythos and religion.
>>
>>1065113
Anthropology is the best place to start. View timelines and so forth. Pay close attention to the summarians.
>>
just a bunch of creepy ass sand cracka neanderthal cave beasts
>>
There were/is theory that mythic Israel were located in Yemen/SArabia border.
>>
>>1065113
>>1065168

Bullshit baka, OP the first thing you need to learn about ancient canaanites is that they was as black as ash.
>>
>>1065185
WE
>>
File: image.jpg (833 KB, 1500x1264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
833 KB, 1500x1264
They were big guys
For Jew
>>
>>1065199
Was it a part of your plan to get conquered?
>>
The Bible Unearthed is great for an archaeological overview of the transition from late Canaanite to Hebrew civilization, though since the concentration is on the Hebrews it doesn't go into much detail about the earlier Canaanites or the Phoenicians.

Most of its arguments are summed up here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_Unearthed#Content but the actual book goes into a lot more detail about the archaeology of the region.
>>
http://www.penn.museum/sites/Canaan/Bibliography.html
>>
>>1065607
>Bible Unearthed
this book. i had to read some for history class. great material
>>
>>1065607
This. It's a bit generalized for a popular audience, but Finkelstein is a legitimate scholar, and he does a great job of summing up the archaeology of the area.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.