[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Philip II really King of England or was he just king consort?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Was Philip II really King of England or was he just king consort?
>>
The marriage treaty made it clear that neither him nor don carlos had claim, and that he was only ceremonial. He had no power over privy council or paliament.

However, he did have a council of state. It is unknown how much power he really had under the table, but officially he had little power.
>>
File: wiki.png (41 KB, 841x252) Image search: [Google]
wiki.png
41 KB, 841x252
Wikipedia doesn't mention that he was consort, does it mean he was the real king?
>>
>>1062809
He was king, but he had no real power
>>
>>1062815

It's pretty hard to believe that the guy that ruled over 50% of the world had no real power in a place he was king...
>>
>>1062834
Well like I said here
>>1062800

According to the marriage treaty he had no power in law, and his preexisting heir had no ability to inherit. However, he had his own council of state, and mary seems to have loved him to pieces. He also paid the english gentry and nobility large sums of money.

So, to summarise, in theory he had no power. However, reality was different
>>
>>1062789
like others mentioned, the marriage contract specified that only mary had the right to actually rule the country and he couldn't inherit it on her death. HOWEVER, had the two produced an heir then his family may well have inherited the throne and england would have been brought into the catholic camp. Mary was a sickly queen and she was relatively old, so she wasn't able to conceive. She miscarried once and then she convinced herself and the people around her that she was pregnant until people started to realize that she was cray
>>
>>1063008
Actually, she couldn't get pregnant because she had uterine cancer.

Also, any child of them would inherit England, Ireland AND the Netherlands.
>>
>>1063038
>uterine cancer
haven't heard this before. most scholars suggest she died of the influenza outbreak in the late 1550s
>>
>>1063129
Thats not what I read. I read she died of stomach cancer
>>
>>1062789
NOSOTROS
>>
>>1064468
ERAMOS
>>
>>1063038
So Beautiful, Imagine it.

Spain, It's colonies, England, Scotland and Ireland, and the Netherlands.

Then imagine it turning protestant.

Then imagine it becoming a Protectorate Style Republic.

So beautiful.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.