[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kept Sisyphus from just saying "fuck that, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: sisyphus.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sisyphus.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
What kept Sisyphus from just saying "fuck that, I'm not rolling that stone anymore, I'll just sit down and do nothing for eternity"
>>
>>1062463
Autism.
>>
>>1062463
he was happy
>>
>>1062463
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus
>>
>>1062463
Same thing that keeps us all pushing rocks uphill. The fear that the consequences of not doing so could be worse.
>>
Fate
>>
To my knowledge if he ever got done he would be let go to Elysium. He never would but fate and hope kept him going.
>>
>>1062463
He got bored and decided to try again
>>
>>1062463
Stone rolling is a great workout and he has literally nothing better to do
>>
>>1062665
>/fit/ heaven
>>
>>1062463

something to do with him being dead and basicaly in hell
>>
>>1062463
Because it's the Ancient Greek version of "fffffff just one more try" at a game of Flappy Bird.
>>
>>1062463
4chan hadnt been invented yet
>>
>>1062463
he doesn't want to lose his gains
>>
>history
>>
>>1062463
It was a condition of his punishment to be compelled into doing it.
>>
>>1062463
He lives in 2D flatworld
>>
>>1062463
It made him happy in his revolt against meaning
>>
>>1062498
This. Zeus took the forked lightning and altered existence such that he pushes the boulder. Get out with your philosophizing you impious sophists.
>>
He was punished for hubris. Zeus told him he could live again if he gets the boulder to the top. He is blind to his fate because he thinks he can beat the gods at their game. It's an ironic hell, he keeps playing into the gods hands because he thinks he's better than them. If he ever swallowed his pride and realized he wasn't above the gods then he could stop rolling the stone and end his torment, but he never will because he is too arrogant.
>>
>>1062502
We can take comfort in that if he ever did succeed, it would eventually lead to boredom. There is no true lasting satisfaction. His eternal striving will give him purpose.

Plus he'd have to deal with that fucker Socrates asking pedantic questions about justice, so Sisyphus got a pretty good afterlife.
>>
>>1062466
First post best post
>>
>>1063238

zeus has nothing to do with faith, faith rules zeus just as all other beings
>>
>>1062670
yeah I was actually thinking this too. Shoving a heavy boulder up a steep hill over and over again would probably be the best workout ever you would turn into a giant stone yourself. Sounds like fun.
>>
If I remember correctly he eventually used the stone to btfo of Cronus and escape the underworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-EJhnst6Kk
>>
File: 1441702151925.jpg (374 KB, 1140x1567) Image search: [Google]
1441702151925.jpg
374 KB, 1140x1567
>>1062463
good question. it is called hedonism. He thinks that what he thinks and feel matter so much that he take what he feels and thinks for personal and choose to act according to them. of course, he knows that it is stupid, since he does not even like the situation, but sill choose to continue. why? because he does not see the solution of putting all of this junk aside to better detach himself from what he thinks is personal and permanent.
>>
File: GreaterGood.jpg (94 KB, 1026x768) Image search: [Google]
GreaterGood.jpg
94 KB, 1026x768
>>1062463
>Sisyphus
Salmoneus and his brother Sisyphus hated each other. Sisyphus found out from an oracle that if he married Tyro, she would bear him children who would kill Salmoneus. At first, Tyro submitted to Sisyphus, married him, and bore him a son. When Tyro found out what the child would do to Salmoneus, she killed the boy. It was soon after this that Tyro lay with Poseidon and bore him Pelias and Neleus.

Salmoneus' subjects were ordered to worship him under the name of Zeus. He built a bridge of brass, over which he drove at full speed in his chariot to imitate thunder, the effect being heightened by dried skins and cauldrons trailing behind while torches were thrown into the air to represent lightning. For this sin of hubris, Zeus eventually struck him down with his thunderbolt and destroyed the town
>>
>>1062463
Didn't you ever read "the myth of Sisyphus" by Camus?
Basically, he's living in spite of the gods and his punishment. A big middle finger to them and their sentencing. Take away the negativity and discomfort in a punishment and it is no longer a punishment.

He beat them, he won. They're plan of eternally torturing him didn't work because he said "fuck it, give me more"

This is also why suicide is unfavorable. Live in spite of life and normies, fight for your place.
>>
>>1062670
But it's in Tartarus.
>>
>>1062463
It was his punishment.
>tfw music soothes punishments
>>
>>1063390
Okay. FATE
>>
>>1062463
losing dem gainz breh
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.