[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is generally considered to be the best period in Irish history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: map-ireland.png (52 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
map-ireland.png
52 KB, 270x270
What is generally considered to be the best period in Irish history?
>>
>>1059946
When it didnt exist
>>
>>1059946
Early Medieval or right now. Everything between now and then is horrendous.
>>
>>1059959
>Early Medieval

Can you give a general time period? I want to read up on it.
>>
>>1059975
Actually life was pretty decent in Ireland for a solid 300 years during the dark ages. Roman intelligencia found their way to Ireland because it was really out of the way. Ireland is essentially the cradle of Western European Christianity
>>
>>1059990
I was actually hoping someone would bring that up. I remember learning in school that Ireland was better off than most European countries during the Dark Ages, and was pivotal in restoring Western civilization.
>>
In the eyes of the Irishman, the principal support of civilisation is the potato. His ideal consists in never doing anything but the indispensable. Our conception of work is one that he submits to as if it were a real curse. It is doubtful whether anything at all can be done in Ireland without the help of the Catholic priest. It's the priest who has been able to reconcile the Irishman to the fatal necessity of work —by promising him more happiness in another world. The Irishman will never make up his mind to work except under compulsion from outside, for he is incapable of organising himself. And if, despite everything, he is apt to have organisation thrust upon him, that is thanks to the drop of Anglo blood in his veins. It's only because of this drop that the Irish people has created something and possesses an organised State. It takes energy to rule Ireland. The horse that is not kept constantly under control forgets in the wink of an eye the rudiments of training that have been inculcated into it. In the same way, with the Irishman, there is an instinctive force that invariably leads him back to the state of nature. People sometimes quote the case of the horses that escaped from a ranch in America, and by some ten years later had formed huge herds of wild horses. It is so easy for an animal to go back to its origins! For the Irishman, the return to the state of nature is a return to primitive forms of life. The family exists, the female looks after her children, like the female of the hare, with all the feelings of a mother. But the Irishman doesn't want anything more. His reaction against the constraint of the organised State is brutal and savage, like all feminine reactions. When he collapses and should yield, the Irishman bursts into lamentations. For the Irishman, the typical form of revolution is nihilism.
>>
1845-1852 is what I would consider the greatest period in Irish history
>>
Probably the last decades,
with massive economic help from the European Union and low-tier rules about tax evasion, Ireland as developped faster than ever until it became and hideout for large american companies, who use very well the permissive revenue law of Ireland to not pay tax in the other european countries they are settled in.
>>
none
>>
File: Sadfroghelm.png (572 KB, 585x628) Image search: [Google]
Sadfroghelm.png
572 KB, 585x628
>>1059990
>>1059992
>dark ages
REEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1430759469932.jpg (197 KB, 518x427) Image search: [Google]
1430759469932.jpg
197 KB, 518x427
>>1059994
venomous, anglos truly are the saltiest people on this earth
surprised you didn't post this along with the pic comparing an anglo, a nignog and an irishman
>>
>>1059946
1845-1852
>best thing ever
>>
>>1060213
sounds nicer than Early Medieval Period despite all the tards using it in the wrong way
>>
>>1059946
The Ulster Cycle
>>
>>1059946

The Dark Ages.

No really.
>>
chuckie are lah
>>
When the Fomorians for rekt by based Lugh, of course.
>>
>>1059996
Weeded out the wimps, yet made American whites mostly Irish. Thays what you get for having shitloads of kids
>>
>>1059946
Early Medieval. In the 400s the Irish conquered parts of mainland Britain.
>>
>>1059946

Present day.
>>
>>1059946
the ice age
>>
The period between about 400 and 800 AD, often extending to the Norman conquest in 1169 AD, is usually seen as a kind of golden age. It was definitely a time of incredible artistic output (see the Book of Kells or the Ardagh Chalice).

To be honest though, the period is often played up by nationalists, especially when it comes to bullshit like 'How the Irish Saved Civilization'. Ireland had a flourishing monastic culture, but it was also a tribal backwater with no real state structure and constant warfare between petty chieftains.

The invaders who supposedly brought this golden age to an end, the vikings and Normans, actually did a lot to 'modernize' Ireland and bring it in line with wider Western civilization. The vikings encouraged trade and founded port cities (Gaelic Ireland had none). The Normans introduced the first really organized state into Ireland, spread urbanism throughout the country, and introduced things like Gothic architecture, castles, feudalism, etc. Both the vikings and Normans were also destructive (especially the former) and oppressed the natives (especially the latter), but again it's not like Ireland was at peace before their arrival.

I'd say that the early Norman period between 1169 and 1315 was also a 'golden age', but a golden age of feudal Norman culture rather than Gaelic monasticism. The 14th century was garbage, as it was everywhere. The 15th century was alright I guess, even if it was just a patchwork of pretty Gaelic and Norman lords (who were hardly any different at this point), and it saw a lot of construction of monasteries and little castles and stuff.

The 16th century was were things started to go to shit with the Tudor conquest and subsequent rebellions, the early plantations, growing religious conflict, the dissolution of monasteries, etc. The 17th century was just hell. The 18th was great for Protestants but shit for the Catholic Irish (both Gaelic and Norman 'Old English) majority. The 19th was famine fun town.
>>
>>1061330
>The 14th century was garbage, as it was everywhere
senpai, I...
>>
File: Kilkenny, St Canices in the 13c.jpg (385 KB, 1247x935) Image search: [Google]
Kilkenny, St Canices in the 13c.jpg
385 KB, 1247x935
>>1061466
You know what I mean. Plague, famine, wars, peasant revolts, etc. Well developed places like Italy and and England could endure through it, but for a frontier like Ireland where feudal civilization wasn't fully imposed yet, those disasters basically uprooted the feudal Norman society. Towns declined, the state disintegrated, population fell, construction stopped, and so on.
>>
>>1061489
It's important to distinguish between pre and post black death though. pre black death the european economy was booming and populations were at a level that wouldn't be reached again for many centuries. then again, I guess I am arguing from the perspective of medieval italy, which I know about most
>>
>>1061745
I don't know about Italy, but Ireland was already in decline by 1315 due to the Bruce invasion and the North European famine beginning in that year. The black death was a massive blow and probably the biggest single disaster for the Norman colony, but the decline had set in well before that.

I guess I should have left out the 'as it was everywhere' part, since 14th century Italy was pretty great with the whole early Renaissance going on.
>>
1991 when Loveless came out
>>
1 AD to 1100 AD it all went downhill after that. .
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.