[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rule over?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: 1455304736535.jpg (312 KB, 1440x1162) Image search: [Google]
1455304736535.jpg
312 KB, 1440x1162
>26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

What did he mean by this?
>>
What did he mean by "our"?
>>
What about Aquatic mammals such as Whales and Dolphins, they're don't fall into any category as they're not land based, and they live in the sea but they're not fish
>>
>>1059500
GOD CONFIRMED FOR HEAD OF A PANTHEON.

MONOTHEISTS BTFO
>>
>>1059500
the royal 'we'

>>1059505
why take a generalization literally. He's saying 'every beast' This isn't harry potter, when you have power you don't need to verbally state everything you are doing in its entirety. might as well ask why he didn't take the time to specify the rock-eating bacteria that live in caves miles beneath the ground. Besides, it's a human distinction that an aquatic mammal can't be a fish, why would he follow it
>>
>>1059517
Ancient Hebrew had a royal we?
>>
>>1059522
it's not an isolated concept. The Hebrew God refers to himself in the plural many times due to his trinitarian nature (which some would contest) and at the very least to include Jesus Christ, or the aspect of himself known as Christ, or perhaps due to his timelessness and wide breadth of self.

Either way referring to one's self as 'we' is natural when the one speaking claims to represent many or a larger concept. Such as a judge saying "we the people of the united states finds so&so guilty" or a foreign ambassador thanking someone on behalf of their nation
>>
>>1059526
Trinity is a newer concept so it really doesn't have much bearing on the old testament and even so much the new testament.
>Which some would contest
I feel like you're downplaying the fact that only the Christian faith of the three main abrahamic religions supports that interpretation and even then probably not all sects (Counting dead and live sects of Christianity in this context).

Since you are also clearly disparaging the use of "we" to refer to many gods, you are implying that it is used to refer to a larger concept.
In which case I must ask the obvious question:
What is a larger concept than god in this case?
>>
>>1059531
I mentioned the trinity because - should it be true - it would have been equally true thousands of years ago. The Christians believe this and Jesus himself in the texts said that he was with his father in the time of Abraham. I'd look up the verse too but it's 4 am. Not bashing the other Abrahamics, I just don't know them as well.

The 'larger concept' I'm saying is that in the context of humanity God represents an outside, greater concept. Remember in the book 'Flatland' when the main character gets taken to the universe without dimension, the being there comprised all that existed in that universe, and it referred to itself as 'we' due to its scope? It's like that. You have to realize that if there is an omnipotent God it comprises all that exists. We can refer to it as a singular indivisible being but in creating, maintaining, and BEING all that is, it may also refer to itself as a /sum of all that is/, if you understand what I'm saying.
>>
>>1059517
>when you have power you don't need to verbally state everything
No but when telling people to write a book that's going still need to hold up in 2000+ years you should.
>>
>>1059500
>>1059510
>>1059531
http://hebrewsyntax.org/hebrew_resources/Beckman%20JC%202013%20%28Pluralis%20Majestatis%20BH%29%20EHLL.pdf
>>
>>1059531
>What is a larger concept than god in this case?
Ein Sof.
>>
>>1059496
IIRC Thomas Aquinas thought that animals before the Fall were tame towards humans.
>>
>>1059496
Do you see any mammoths around mate?
>>
>>1060482
They all went extinct when the air got to thin for them to breath after the big flood.
>>
>>1060712
apparently the air wasn't too thin for elephants which would need about just as much oxygen
>>
>>1060726
God gave them the Oxygen they needed to survive.
>>
>>1059496
God was made by humans, so it makes sense that God would place humans above the other animals
>>
>>1059496
It means that humans aren't supposed to be degenerate and disgusting like quite a lot of them are nowadays. Think of intelligent life which we can't compare to. We were supposed to be that at this point in time. The Epitome of evolution and flawless in nearly everyway, shape and form. Basically being able to keep this planet spinning with no fights/wars etc etc whatsoever.
>>
>>1059496
>rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
>we don't even interact with the majority of animals in existence
>>
>>1059496
>imo
"take care of/care for with love and wisdom in knowing that they themselves consist of and depend on it"
>>
>>1060482
>Do you see any mammoths around mate?
Not yet.
It's not like it ain't our fault.
That and climate change and for smaller subspecies, possible competition with... wait for it... moose.
>>
>>1059496

We were created to house the Holy Spirit of God in us, so that when God looks at us, He can see Himself.

Adam and Eve lost that.

We have to regain that by being born again in the Spirit.

God
Angels
Humans
Animals
Plants

Is pretty much the pecking order.
>>
aliens.
>>
>>1059496
"He" didn't mean anything. The bible was written by a bunch of jews for control.
>>
>>1063294
>"He" didn't mean anything.

Fathers are by definition male, don't get so caught up on semantics.
>>
>>1059496
in the Greek version it didn't say Rule but something closer to "have dominion" and implied a sort of stewardship over the earth
>>
>>1059583
if you believe the bible the christian god is an asshole. he doesn't even take the time to give people a manual or even a playable tutorial until way the fuck after they've been alive
>>
>>1059496
basically, what we do now: husbandry and taming.
>>
>>1062113
So Venus flytraps, pitcher plants, etc. are sinful?
>>
>>1064212
Not him, but sin comes as a running away from the responsibility of moral thinking or, as some would say, God's words. Plants and animals can't even comprehend God's words, and as so, they do not bear the weight of sin.
>>
>>1059496
It means the world is ours and we have to care for it
>>
File: pepefinger.gif (443 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pepefinger.gif
443 KB, 800x600
>>1059496
God's talking about fractals. We aren't made in his literal likeness, but rather in the likeness of the random pattern generator, which is what God is.

The patterns (similar to pater, father) he makes with matter (mother) results in abstract constructions serving as the means of communication between the larger and smaller spheres of the universe. For example, the bifurcating pattern found in mountains, rivers, trees, and our blood is a result of God's bifurcation.

His image is bifurcation, and we are made in it. So is true for other abstract, largely mathematical phenomena governing His universe.

Pic related. It is how God has made us in his image.
>>
>>1067349
uh huh. but this is specifically man being made in God's image. God walks in the garden. God uses male pronouns. most gods surrounding israel were human including other gods they worshipped before going monotheistic. God is afraid that the humans eating from the tree of life after eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil will make them like him. God is a dude
>>
>>1067349
t. your ass
>>
File: slavoj.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
slavoj.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
>>1067397
What is this t. people say?
>>
>>1067429
it means "regards", as in the letter closing
>>
>>1059496
> "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you.

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1440477677987.jpg (71 KB, 354x416) Image search: [Google]
1440477677987.jpg
71 KB, 354x416
>>1059526
God means we because he's got multiple personality disorder. This is most obvious in the way the universe is one entity but has many localized points of self-conscious awareness. Every sentient entity is God struggling with himself.

Moreover, every /I/ is also a /We/ because /We/ are multiorganisms. We have cells. Pic related. God is a collective.
>>
File: EarlyMan.jpg (22 KB, 360x242) Image search: [Google]
EarlyMan.jpg
22 KB, 360x242
>>1067435
In that case, yes. I did pull it from my ass. Where else am I to store my precious manuscripts of filosofickal thought? A bookshelf? I think not.
>>
>>1059496
he meant the bronze age was there.
>>
File: thoth.jpg (40 KB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
thoth.jpg
40 KB, 900x598
>>1067448
Who knows? ;)
>>
>>1067448
He means your internal and external surface area.

In other words, your bacteria will precede you.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.