[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Korean history. How did they manage to be independent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (49 KB, 952x682) Image search: [Google]
image.png
49 KB, 952x682
Redpill me on Korean history. How did they manage to be independent for so long and not get raped like the Vietnamese and other tributary nations? It's geographically in the worst possible position as they are right between Asian greatest powers: China and Japan. How did they survive and preserve their culture and language for that long instead of being raped and assimilated like the other cultures and civilizations surrounding Han?
>>
>>1058414
How did Korea get 'raped' less than Vietnam? They were both tributary nations to China and both managed to maintain their culture
>>
>le redpill me
>>
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Korea was conquered and attacked *repeatedly* by various rulers of China for centuries before being annexed by Japan for a few decades years later.
>>
>>1058488
they only got annexed by japan after 1910 and thats when japan modernize and got western technology before that they were repeatly BTFOed by koreans and chinese. basically were contained power in their containment island for 2000+ years until the introduction of western technology.
>>
>>1058414
>redpill

Anyway the Goguryeo, Joseon, etc kingdoms throughout history were actually quite strong and easily defendable. China usually preferred not to pursue campaigns that would result in heavy losses, when they could just make them an honorary vassal state.

>Asian greatest powers
>Japan
A literally who until the 16th century.
>>
Po' lil gook boy: Zhongguo & Nippon anal devastation tag team edition
>>
>>1058414
>Japan
>Asian great power
When will this meme end
>>
They got assfucked by Japan what do you mean lol?

I'm living in Korea now and that's one of the top things koreans complain about. "Fucking Shilla" "Fucking Japan "

Their culture is an imitation of japan and chinese traditions.
>>
>>1058459
Vietnam was conquered and occupied by China for a long time. Korea wasn't. And paying tribute, which was basically the ancient Asian form of trade and diplomacy, doesn't equate to rape at all.
>>
>>1058488
You're either baiting or you're very ignorant
>>
I don't know enough about Vietnamese history to make a proper comparison, but I know Korea was mostly happy to pay their tribute to China and acknowledge the emperor as head honcho of the universe, so China was mostly happy to leave them be. And had Japan tried anything, the Chinese would have fucked their shit.
>>
>>1058879
Because samurai can cut a tank in half. Seriously though, Goguryeo demolished Japanese armies multiple times. And Unified Silla laid waste to Japanese navy and made them become a hermit (not talking about baekgang). Goryeo's diplomacy was to bully Japan to try get them to open up trade. Joseon received tribute from daimyos for hundreds of years. Only after 1592 did Japan get the upperhand. But people never bother to study Korean history and prefer memes and think "Derp Japan conquered Korea for 2000 years"
>>
>>1058414
Korea was divided in several kingdoms and that empress the Chinese had bet for one of them, which unified Korea and became tributary of China.
But everybody had to be tributary of China to had deals with China. European powers had to also, until the Opium Wars.
>>
>>1059133
>weeaboo opinions matter
>>
File: image.png (173 KB, 620x411) Image search: [Google]
image.png
173 KB, 620x411
>>1059133
Sui invaded Goguryeo with 2million and got literally BTFOed by an army of just under 100,000.
>>
>>1058414
Despite the fact that absolutely nobody outside Korea wants to admit, Korean kingdoms up to early Choson were strong and not to be messed with.

Before attacking Koguryo, Tang Taizong's advisor pleaded the emperor to not attack Koguryo, citing Sui's massive defeat. After his failed campaign, lying in bed from sickness he was said to regret badly not listening to his advisor.

Even in Yuan records, Kublai Khan was like "Holy shit, we just beat Ko(gu)ryo that even Tang Taizong couldn't beat."

Even a stranded Korean envoy in China during Ming (who wrote about his travels) was asked by a Chinese diplomat, "How the heck did you guys manage to defeat both Sui and Tang?"

In the past, China and Korea fought many times and eventually neither side wanted to fight anymore. And later Korean kingdoms respected and looked up to China anyway, so there was no need to fight and they enjoyed an amiable big bro little bro relationship.
>>
>>1059170
No they didnt. This is myth the Tang made up to discredit the Sui. If you go back more than a thousand years and see military numbers in the millions, you can be sure they're exaggerated claims, even for China
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.