[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people find religion when in prison? I wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 300x198
Why do so many people find religion when in prison? I wouldn't have thought criminal types were the sort to get churchy.
>>
it's never too late to find the light, anon
>>
>lowest point in their lives
>facing isolation from everyone they knew
>feel guilty about letting their life get to that point, maybe even about their crimes too
>desperately seek meaning and acceptance

Makes sense to me.
>>
>>1057245
This basically. It is not hard to imagine or understand.
>>
Prisons exist to put people in the position of not committing further crimes, possibly changing them for good.

Religions claim to have comparable objectives, which are achieved by setting people on the correct path, and intentionally target the bottom of the social ladder.

Supply and demand.
>>
>>1057203
I figure if you make a big show about being a born again christian and pretend to be a pious it would help your odds for parole
>>
>>1057203
also there's a lot of churches that will go into prisons to talk to prisoners sort of as counselors, organize church services which generally could break up some of the monotony of prison life, help prisoners borrow books from libraries, etc. My high school geometry teacher would go with his church to prisons about once a month
>>
When you're at the lowest point in your life, the idea of being loved and forgiven by an absolute being looks appealing

I'm not complaining, lots of guys would devolve into barely sapient monsters without Christianity/Islam/Paganism

t. Fedora CO
>>
>>1057203
Captive audience
>>
>>1057313
this, though I don't find it sinister despite not being a believer. I would bet that most of the people in prison already believed in God before they entered but the isolated conditions lead them to latch onto something to keep their minds occupied, whether that is making tattoos or reading the bible and becoming more involved in their faith
>>
>>1057203

Why is it so easy to pass out parachutes after the plane catches on fire?

Why were Jesus' closest followers prostitutes, thieves, tax collectors, and sinners?
>>
File: Decline In Religiousity.png (29 KB, 1860x198) Image search: [Google]
Decline In Religiousity.png
29 KB, 1860x198
>>
>>1057383

You are now aware that many religions gain converts in prison, not just Christainity.
>>
>>1057399
Well duh, Valmiki was a bandit and a murderer before becoming a Hindu sage
>>
>>1057203
Religions prey on people at their lowest.
>>
>>1057203
This
>>1057245

It also explains why the turn to drugs and get involved with gangs
>>
Another factor that I don't think has been brought up is that prison gives you a shitload of time to think and reflect upon your life, which often leads to religion as it's a fairly effective answer to a bunch of common questions relating to one's life.
>>
>>1057203
They're spoon-fed a belief system that basically says that no matter what they do they'll be fine in the next life; why the fuck do you think so many prisoners turn to religion?
>>
>>1057203
Nothing better to do desu
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.