[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some /his/ approved films? What historical film would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 25
File: v1.jpg (259 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
v1.jpg
259 KB, 800x1200
What are some /his/ approved films?
What historical film would you love to see created?
>>
File: wolfenstein_3D_hitler.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wolfenstein_3D_hitler.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ZteD0LaIc
>>
Master and Faggot at the far side of the Gay more like it
>>
>>1053598
/tv/ permanently ruined any discussion of this (pretty great) movie. I would love an updated version of Napoleon's Italian campaigns. It could have all the challenges of a young new general dealing with challenge after challenge. It would show flashes of some megalomania, but overall he'd act admirably.
>>
>>1053626
Frog detected.
>>
>>1053631
Horatio Hornblower was another fantastic Napoleonic film. I'd agree that an Italian campaign would be great, although one regarding the Egyptian campaign would be awesome as well.
>>
>>1053598
> What historical film would you love to see created?

Not a film, but a 'Band of Brothers' style series following a Wehrmacht unit on the eastern front.
>>
>>1053598
This film is just so damn great. It's a shame really that Gladiator started a new age of historical movies getting made, and along came gems like this one. It was ironic then that Ridley Scott who brought back an interest in historic epics would proceed to churn out shittier movies the more they went on and now we have it all culminate in Exodus which sucked donkeydick.
>>
>>1053636
I'm French and like this movie desu. Historically really fine. I might get very butthurt at the incoming "Dunkirk" though
>>
File: ConstantineXIIannisNikou.jpg (58 KB, 425x600) Image search: [Google]
ConstantineXIIannisNikou.jpg
58 KB, 425x600
>>1053598
>What historical film would you love to see created?
I think the answer is obvious
>>
>>1053759
Gotcha familia
>>
>>1054723
In the books this was the Surprise chasing an American (historically accurate for the period), it was changed to French so it wouldn't trigger Americans.
>>
>>1054747
As a navy enthousiast I really don't care if one more movie makes fun of the French, if it is one of the very few that faithfully depict 19th century's life at sea. Good acting, nice plot, beautiful, and not disrespectfull.
>>
Come and See
Marketa Lazarova
Das Boot
>>
>>1053598
a good movie about Napoleon's early years. Not a shitty french one, nor a -very- biased brit one.
>>
>>1054766
>it is one of the very few that faithfully depict 19th century's life at sea.

except everyone would be very very unhealthy looking. But I guess that's difficult to do on film.
>>
>>1053598
The longest day
The right stuff
La Grande Illusion
M.A.S.H.
Tora tora tora
das boat already brought up
>>
>>1054776
Disease would flare up yes, but if you left port with no infectious diseases on board how would you acquire them while at sea? And they did know how to deal with scurvy etc.
>>
Bot a film but Boardwalk empire is very much /his/ approved
>>
>>1054726
how good is this fampai? on a scale of 1 to band of brothers
>>
>>1054723
I'm not French, but I imagine unfortunately that the upcoming Dunkirk film will likely focus solely on the British role in the battle.
>>
>>1054723
I think Nolan is kind of a francaboo
>>
File: who cares.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
who cares.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>1055086
>>1055087
>Another wwii film
Out of all the historical settings he could have picked. Hell, a proper WWI movie would even be really welcome at this point. Also it's a shame to waste Nolan on such a standard movie. He's the only one making blockbuster movies with interesting plots.
>>
>>1053598
A biography about washington, must include:
>The cherry tree
>French and Indian War
>Washington's failures as a commander
>Valley Forge
>Yorktown

Washington is probably my favorite person in American history.
>>
>>1055130
>Washington is probably the only person in American history
>>
>>1055130
> accurate biography
> cherry tree myth

Pick one.
>>
>>1055135
nah dude
>franklin
>adams
>hamilton
>John Brown
>Jackson
>Lewis/Clark
>Lincoln
>Lee
>Grant
>Carnegie
>Rockefeller
>Edison
>Sam Houston
many many more my man
>>
>>1055147
exclude it then
>I still like the story
>>
File: 145282229386.gif (735 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
145282229386.gif
735 KB, 500x375
braveheart was pretty neat even though it may include historical inconsistencies like cars charging along with horses but that happened in age of empires and no one seemed to care

also, mel gibson always did some cool movies about historical events, like that one about the american revolution

both easy mode movies but still entertaining
>>
File: dearleader.jpg (89 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
dearleader.jpg
89 KB, 700x525
>>1055152
>Didn't pick accuracy for the biography of the historical figure he is most interested in.

Anon is the one with the yellow helmet.
>>
>>1055081
I'm going to guess it's Violence-is-unconditionally-bad-mkay out of German Guilt.
>>
Did /his/ like this movie?
>>
>>1053598
I watched it with my gf once
She didnt undetstand it
>>
>>1055130
Never happening
Americans wont ruin their national heroe by showing how he started a world war out of sheer incompetence (the same war that later became the reason why the taxes were raised, leading to the rebellion) and surrendered like a bitch at Fort Necessity
>>
>>1055473
My GF asks to watch it regularly and she actually enjoys it. She asked me to teach her about Nelson, Wellington and Napoleon yesterday.
God i love her
>>
>>1055442
would've been better had it been about catherine the great
>>
>>1055483
>Washington started a war
The amount of wrong information in one post is astonishing
Its fine if you dont like Washington bud, but if you think it was Washington who started the revolution youve got to do some serious reading.
>>
>>1055511
Are you dense?
Washintong started the Seven Years War
No one said he started the revolution
>>
>>1055086
That's the issue
In reality, Dunkirk was basically Brits sitting on the beach and evacuating while French defended them from the Germans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY

Of course they're not gonna show it like that, you can expect a lot of revisionism to make the Brits appear heroic
>>
If we ignore the supernatural elements, is Passion of the Christ /his/-approved?

I would argue that it isn't, as the Sanhedrin were not Pharisee-controlled. In fact the Pharisee weren't even particularly powerful during Jesus's life
>>
one on robert e lee that paints the southern cause as a noble lost cause. one that depicts the devastation and heartbreak when Lee finally surrenders.
>>
>>1055492
shes secretly getting off to russel crowe mate.
>>
>>1055560

>Watch Jesus get tortured for 2 hours - The movie

Yeah, nah.
>>
>>1055150

Is that hbo show about John Adams good?
>>
>>1054726
reminded me of this

For most of us it's not really historical, but its great for insight on U.S. army and modern warfare in general
>>
What are some other good naval films? I've only seen Master and Commander and Das Boot.
>>
>>1055641
Hornblower series are pretty good despite been from the point of view of the objective bad guys
>>
>>1055674

I'll check it out thank you.
>>
>>1055674
It's a bit silly compared to the two mentioned but it is good.
>>
Zulu.
>>
>>1055586
>Quoting South Park verbatim - The post
>>
File: 5004569727_0de5d0d2af_z.jpg (209 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
5004569727_0de5d0d2af_z.jpg
209 KB, 640x427
There aren't many good movies set in the 16th/17th century. There's never been a movie made about the 80 years war.
>>
>>1055226
Don't think it laid it on too thick but its been a while since I watched it
>>
>>1055557
Too be fair, they could have all been blown to bits on the beach if Hitler wanted to anyway
>>
Seen an ad for a movie call Our Honour was Loyalty or something similer. Anyone know anything about it?
>>
They should make a trilogy about the years of the four, five and six emperors.
>>
>>1056028
One would thought the Dutch would made a bunch.
>>
>>1055560
Kind of pissing me off that it aims for linguistic accuracy yet the Roman soldiers in Judea speak Latin instead of Greek.
>>
>>1056028
>>1056112
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_films_and_TV_specials#Eighty_Years.27_War_.281568.E2.80.931648.29
>>
>>1056051
That's a false myth, dumb naziboo
The German stopped their advance because of overextended supply lines.
But when they went back at advancing, they did in full force, and had the French not slowed them, the entire BEF would have been captured
>>
What's the best reconquista movie out there. Spanish and English language films accepted PREFERABLY with a qt Isabella
>>
It's one of those movies I repeatedly end up watching with a friend when we're hanging out and don't know what to do. Suddenly master and commander is on while we fuck around with warhammer and what not.

It's such a comfy music.
>>
Hornblower
Sharpe
The Spanish Musketeer ( A pretty dank movie about a Spanish soldier in the 17th century = terico pike squares.)
War and Peace

A movie about the Battle of Hastings would be pretty awesome or a biopic of Augustus Caesar.
>>
>>1056130
1. Old
2. Complete shit
3. Comedy
>>
>>1053598

There are no /his/ approved films. Some autist always comes along screaming that the belt buckles are two decades too late or the trees have moss on the wrong side.

Pic related.
>>
File: leopard2.png (2 MB, 1600x726) Image search: [Google]
leopard2.png
2 MB, 1600x726
The Leopard

its about Italy during unification
specifically a Sicilian noble family
>>
>>1056343
I don't know about the film, but the book is GREAT. One of the best books I have ever read. Very short also.
>>
Biopic about William Jennings Bryan with Bill Murray in the lead role
>>
>>1056384
the film is a really close retelling of the book, and it looks fantastic, there is an English and Italian version

since Burt Lancaster didn;t speak Italian the English version has his voice with the Italian cast dubbed over, while the Italian version has him dubbed over

I've only seen the Italian one but its still very good, idk how the English compares.
>>
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (2010 version)
>>
>>1056166
Post some sources if youre going to make claims, im sick of reading everybody's personal interpretation of History on this fucking board without evidence to support it. Garbage
>>
loads of great /his/ films but everyone only ever names the same handful of action films from the last 20 years

here's a few good ones I've seen relatively recently

>Ashes and Diamonds
About late/post war Poland and the resistance fighting the Soviets
>The Ruling Class
British aristocrat thinks he's the messiah, is "cured" but then slowly dives back into insanity
>Battle of Algiers
shot documentary style about the Algerian revolution, the best war film ever made easily.
>Naked Prey
safari guide and the white men who hired him get assaulted by Africans and taken hostage, the guide escapes but with nothing but his underwear and has to survive like a wild animal.
>Yojimbo
Samurai comes into a small town and plays local strongmen off one another for gold
>Fitzcarraldo
Man buys a plot of land in Brazil hoping to collect rubber and bring it back, drags a steamboat over a mountain to do it. there is a documentary about the making of this film which is equally fantastic
>Kagemusha
poor criminal is an exact lookalike of a powerful Japanese lord, hired as a body-double until the lord is killed and he basically has to pretend to be him all the time.
>Khartoum
about a British commander sent to defend Egypt against the armies of the self proclaimed Muslim messiah or Mahdi
>>
>>1056454
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dunkirk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_evacuation
>>
>>1055630
>U.S Army
Say that to a Marine IRL and see what happens.
>>
>>1055226
>>1055081
Pretty good, there's some German guilt but it's put into a decently crafted perspective. It also shows the partisans as subhuman dogs which they were for the most part.
>>
>>1053598
I want to find a good WW1 movie that came out after the 70's or see something new released.

Even the old movies fail to capture the true horror and pandemonium invoked in me by reading in depth accounts on the war with no visual medium at all. I mean, I'd like a straight up psychological horror film with grand scale action scenes present, but more or less on the side.
>>
>>1056454
Says the one who proposed his own uncited claim at the outset
>>
>>1057986
>Even the old movies fail to capture the true horror
you just don't watch good movies
>>
>>1057986
Literally the only recent WWI movie I know of, Passchendaele, was really disappointing considering what I was expecting, probably because I was hoping for what you were looking for as well. Instead it's mostly a love drama with little bits of gore and shock violence scattered through it.

It has been a while since I've seen it though, I'm honestly wondering if I'd think different about it since I've grown a bit.
>>
Is blood diamond approved?
>>
File: barbarians.png (596 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
barbarians.png
596 KB, 500x680
-Constantine I, Milvio bridge
-Battle of Adrianopolis
-Battle of Carrhas
-Battle of Cannae
-The big balls Diocletianus had, maybe for a tv series better
-Siege of Jerusalem 70 AD
-Glorious Godfrey of Bouillon returning our glory
-Justinian & Belisarii adventures around the Mediterranean trying badly to Rome 2.0

Theres plenty of real events more amusin that the ones hollywod invent from shit novels...
>>
>>1053598
This movie is lame.
Master and Commander is inspired of a real story, lived by Robert Surcouf from Saint-Malo on a boat, pursued by two american boats.
>>
My favorites:
Black robe
12 years a slave
Casablanca
Schindlers List
The grapes of wrath
Aguirre The Wrath Of God
The burmese harp
Nobi: fires on the plain
Mongol: The Rise Of Genghis Khan
Che
La Commune (Paris, 1871)
Pasqualino Settebellezze
Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
Ivan's Childhood
Anything by Dziga Vertov, Mikhail Kalatozov, Sergei Eisenstein and Vsevolod Pudovkin
Shame (1968)
The Virgin Spring
The seventh seal
>>
File: war.jpg (21 KB, 480x282) Image search: [Google]
war.jpg
21 KB, 480x282
Enrolment of people from Bretagne by the french army during the WW1 would make a great movie. At this time people from Bretagne (Brittany) were very few to speak french, most used to speak only breizh language. So they were considered undermen as their fellas froms the colonies, and were fighting in first rank betweend the Senegalian and the Maghrebian, as a multi-color/multi-cultural/multi-language low-respected brotherhood
>>
>>1060513

Fink´s biography of Marc Bloch notes how during the WWI one of his men, a merry Breton who hardly spoke any French died cause he was unable to explain what he was suffering.

A couple of years ago, during the Centenary of the WWI, I did read that special hospitals were made to Basques after some influent dude meet hundred of Basques who spoke no French dying in the regular hospitals.

>"Tourangeaux, Picards, Béarnais,
>Quel que soit le nom qu'on vous donne
>L'armée est la grande patrone
>Qui vous baptise tous français".

>"Heidu girenean, denborak eginik
>Bazterrak ikusirik, frantsesa jakinik".
>>
>>1055505
pfft
>>
>>1060563
thanks for this reference anon, i gotta read it.
For the story the father of my grandfather used to speak breizhoneg, french and english. He entered the US army as an interprete during WW1
>>
>>1056191
Haven't seen it in at least 6 or 7 years and I still get the cello/violin duet at the end stuck in my head on a regular basis.
>>
Lawrence of Arabia is probably my favorite historical film, though M&C is up there too. I've been meaning to watch Zulu because I've heard that's great, and Michael Caine.

One I would really love to see get made would be something about Hannibal. Not like a biopic, I don't give a shit about his background, but a film focusing on his major military exploits.
>>
>>1057986

Paths of Glory is quite good. The film focuses quite a lot on a court martial, but the scenes set in the trenches are the closest I've seen a film come to capturing the chaos and horror. It's very much focused on the strain the trenches put on men even in the second half.
>>
>>1055081
band of brothers^2
>>
>>1060794
>>
File: leopard.gif (919 KB, 380x216) Image search: [Google]
leopard.gif
919 KB, 380x216
>ctrl+f
>Russian Ark
>restuls = 0
common, /his/

>>1056343
Screw history. Claudia Cardinale at the peak of her beauty is enough to make the film worth watching.
>>
>>1055442
I liked the one scene where all the cavalry soldiers died.
>>
>>1061225
There is a god
>>
File: 1427483237253.png (559 KB, 570x573) Image search: [Google]
1427483237253.png
559 KB, 570x573
>>1054771
THIS.
Idi i smotri is probably the best wwII film EVAAAR.
>>
File: 1459635587941.png (595 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
1459635587941.png
595 KB, 600x597
>>1061401
>>
File: I'mAssuredofthis.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
I'mAssuredofthis.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>1055630
>>
>>1061401
It should be: "Schau dir meine Doppel an"
>>
>>1056060
Done by an independant film maker. Low budget shows, but fo a first movie not bad. Interesting look at a low level waffen ss mans life. P.s. it doesnt end well.
>>
>>1055534
Kek that's even more wrong, wtf
>>
>>1055615
Fantastic. 10/10
>>
>>1056337
It's pretty funny tho
>>
File: cadenettes.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cadenettes.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
>>1053598
What do (you) think of Ridley Scott's "Duellists" ?
I see people talking about Barry Lyndon all the time, but after all it didn't have Keitel and Carradine with cadenettes so...
>>
>>1061874
Heard the sword fighting is laughable
>>
>>1055442
i thought for a war movie made for a young audience it did a good job a showing the horrors of war and not get rated R. Its no Empire of the Sun but even spielberg's schlock is worth a watch.
>>
File: Gods_and_generals_poster.jpg (22 KB, 299x443) Image search: [Google]
Gods_and_generals_poster.jpg
22 KB, 299x443
>>1055568
>Lost Cause bullshit
I got you senpai. Too bad this movie bombed hard (mostly because of muh lost cause) because we will never get The Last Full Measure now. It's a shame too because the first 30 mins were pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeGBpTFZhh4
>>
>>1060490
black robe, fuck yeah!
>>
>>1061851
http://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/french-indian-war/ten-facts-about-george-washington-and-the-french-indian-war/
>>
>>1057125
Some stupid oaf spazzing out because of how brainwashed Marines are into believing that they're special?
>>
>>1055081
It is literally "Wearmacht didn't du nuffin SS are the real bad guys, we just wanna fight for our country :'(". In short completely retarded revisionist bullshit.
>>
>>1060490
> A whole slough of Russian movies, even Tarkovsky, but no Andrei Rublev

Russian Ark is a cool historical overview of Imperial Russia and is great for anyone wondering how modern Russians think about their past.

Andrei Rublev is a hyperrealistic portrayal of 1400s Russia that deals with a good amount of humanities. It's all about Andrei Rublev coming to understand his role as an icon painter. My personal favorite movie of all time.
>>
File: 1452649959340.png (195 KB, 284x826) Image search: [Google]
1452649959340.png
195 KB, 284x826
I'd like to see The Last Battle adapted
>>
File: Barbary_pirates_vs_US_Navy.jpg (274 KB, 791x1024) Image search: [Google]
Barbary_pirates_vs_US_Navy.jpg
274 KB, 791x1024
>tfw there will never be a Barbary Wars movie following Stephen Decatur
>>
>>1063379
Shit, just looking at those troop numbers and diversity it's already a good movie
>>
>>1063404
The book The Last Battle is pretty decent.
Not amazing but an entertaining light read that told the story well.
>>
>>1063379
Fuggin traitors.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.