[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The CAUCASUS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 5176.jpg (457 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5176.jpg
457 KB, 1920x1080
I made this thread yesterday, but nothing got going, so I'll give it another shot.

Tell me about the Caucasus /his/. Its sheer diversity is fascinating. Also, it'd be nice if someone could give me some stuff to read on the history of the Caucasus. There's little out there, and whatever there is starts from the 1800s with the Russian conquest. Work on the medieval Caucasus especially would be appreciated.
>>
File: jason-and-the-argonauts.jpg (136 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
jason-and-the-argonauts.jpg
136 KB, 800x568
>>1053282
The Caucasus was considered the fringe of the world by the archaic Greeks, believing Colchis to be where the sun rose. Jason and the Argonauts traveled there because it was the ultimate long distance journey.
>>
BUUMP
>>
>>1053282
>the Caucasus

I consider it where Russia ends, and the Middle East begins.
Armenia is there doing its best Israel impression, a small country hated by all its neighbors and trying to fight them all, supported by the big world power Russia.
Basically Russia, Iran and Turkey use it as a borderland between each other, power playing when they see a chance.

Historically I don't know if its relevant. I know a lot of armies came out of that area into the Mesopotamian region over the centuries, but I don't think the place itself was ever too relevant. Maybe during the Ottoman-Russian wars at some point?
>>
Oldest evidence of our ancestors outside of Africa was found in Georgia.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_georgicus
>>
I lived in the caucuses for 6 months in a small village. There is no greater WE WUZ people on the face of the planet. Friendly though.
>>
>>1054702
who do they we wuz about? i imagine they have the pick of the litter
>>
>>1054702
They really wuz kingz n shit, though.
Just not massively important ones.
>>
>>1054703
>>1054704
They were pretty based once upon a time, standing up to the Mongols and shit, but then centuries of getting their shit pushed in by nomads, Turks and Russians have left them with literally nothing. No resources, no industry. All they have is some 800 year old queen on their money.

But it's BIRTHPLACE OF WINE AND CHEESE BREAD.
>>
>>1054702
Armenia? I know one armenian guy, and he was WE WUZ to the max.
>>
>>1054762
No but close.
>>
>>1054756
>BIRTHPLACE OF WINE AND CHEESE BREAD
More important than the Greeks.
>>
>>1054762
>we invented christianity
>we beat the romans
>we invented the knights
>we defended byzantium
>we beat the mongols, the ottomans and the russians
>WE
>>
>>1054762

Birthplace of wine and cheese bread sounds like Georgia.
>>
>>1054762
well i mean majority of modern ethnicities didn't even exits where Greater Armenia WUZ from "sea to sea"

that counts for something
>>
>>1053282
Consider that modern Chechens and most Dagestani are distant descendants of Hurrians and Urartu people, as well as probably related to very ancient and advanced Kura-Araxes culture. Caucasus oreserved wgat little was left of it. Chechnya was agriculturalist orthodox place friendly to Georgia. Mongols, and then Timurids genocided them a bit, leaving refugees in the mountains to herd goats and raid locsls until Russians conquered them.
>>
>>1054762
>he was we wuz
you poetic bastard
>>
>>1054681
>Maybe during the Ottoman-Russian wars at some point?
Russia supported Christians (Ossetians, Georgians and Armenians) and literally deported Muslims (Circassians) to Turkey and Middle East.
>>
>>1054702
What did you eat? How clean is the air?
>>
>>1055393
I ate cheese bread and drank wine, they invented it you know. Also potatoes.

The air was pretty clean except in winter when the whole valley would burn their garbage. Some of the most beautiful landscape in the world occupied by a people who don't give a shit about preserving it. I literally heard a man say 'Sakartvelo aris lamazia' (Georgia is beautiful) while throwing a beer bottle into the bushes.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.