[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"In his advice to the Persians, Cyrus the Great claims,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
>"In his advice to the Persians, Cyrus the Great claims, “soft lands tend to breed soft men" -

What did he mean by this?
>>
My friend :

Machiavelli, "Discorsi sopra la prima deca di Tito Livio"
First Book
First Chapter
>>
>>1052431
>soft lands tend to breed soft men

Comfortable living environments make dudes fags. People in the city are statistically weaker then people who live in rural areas. Less injuries, less physical activity, less thought put into surviving. Even my lil female cousins in the mountains are tough as fuck, climbing trees and hiking all the time, splitting their heads open way more often.
>>
>>1052431
>Cyrus is a pale European with a golden mane and feminine face
And people say Medieval artists took liberties.
>>
>>1052431

Cyrus predicted modern day Canada and Sweden
>>
What an awful painting. Why is a Middle-Eastern man depicted as a European woman?
>>
>>1053149
Well Greeks did leave a shit ton of art, literature, and records of telling us the Persian were "ruddy", pale, and fair in complexion.
>>
>>1053156
>Why is a Middle-Eastern man of Caucasian descent portrayed as one?
>>
>>1052874
>People in the city are statistically weaker then people who live in rural areas.

Really? Do you have a link to these statistics? Because all the people I see in the city seem athletic and healthy, and all the people I see in the country seem fat and wheezing.
>>
>>1053189
Cyrus' comment was probably directed at the fact that as semi-nomadic pastorals who were edging a living in a harsh environment, they would stay strong. If they ended up settling like other civilizations and become sedentary, they'd grow weak.
>>
>>1053165
Yeah but that doesn't mean they looked even remotely like that painting.
>>
>>1053197
How the fuck would Persia remain a semi-nomadic empire?
>>
>>1053187
lmfao
>>
>>1053216
Not their empire, but their warriors. According to Hardcore History, mongol warriors would be rotated back to the steppe from sedentary society to keep their edge.
>>
>>1053241
>according to hardcore history.
Well you DID provide a source for your claim I'll give you that. (It just isn't from a historian.)
>>
>>1053216
>semi-nomadic empire
What are you talking about? The empire is not "nomadic", the people are. Prior to and even throughout most of the 6th century, the Persians were still not "civilized" folk in the traditional sense. They had very few cities and largely just followed their cattle and livestock around in Anshan and Pars.

>>1053214
Probably yes, he didn't look like a stereotypical Nordic man but then again Europeans do the same shit with Jesus, Alexander, and a host of other famous historical men and women who they like to romanticize in their appearances.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.