[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: philosophy trivia >Thales, Anaximander and Anaximenes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: download (23).jpg (11 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
download (23).jpg
11 KB, 182x277
ITT: philosophy trivia

>Thales, Anaximander and Anaximenes started philosophy in Miletus around the same time coinage was first introduced
>>
>Diogenes was the first shitposter
>>
Diogenes was the first and only bersmench.
>>
Empedocles was the last philosopher to write in verse, and he threw himself into a volcano.
>>
Nietzsche would eat 6.5 points of fruit every day.

Voltaire would drink up to 50 cups of coffee a day.

According to legend Thales, the first philosopher was once out pondering importaint philophical questions. He was so immersed in his thoughts that he failed to notice the world around him and walked off a cliff causing his death.

Pyrrho inventor of skeptism, according to legend, achieved a Buddihist like state of mind by being skeptical about just about everything. He allegedly could endure extreme pain and all manner of discomfort because he was skeptical if pain was something to be avoided. According to legend he would regularly come close to dying all time (walk off cliffs, appraching dangerous animals) because of his skepticism if what he was seeing was real or if gravity/bodily injures were actual things.

Plato was the equivalent of billionaire in his time and was extremly fit from his wrestling.

Pythagoras killed someone when they suggest that 2 had no perfect square root. He refused to physically touch beans and claimed to remember all his past reincarnations.

Spinoza had a Jewish curse put on him and had multiple attempts on his life.
>>
Diogenes was right, and the only reason I have a computer to post this is I'm weak willed.
>>
Nobody 'started philosophy'.
>>
File: Empedocles-2-sized.jpg (897 KB, 1480x1472) Image search: [Google]
Empedocles-2-sized.jpg
897 KB, 1480x1472
Empedocles anticipated concepts such as the singularity, the big bang, heat death of the universe, the big freeze, the big crunch/bounce, organic evolution, and so on.

A criminally underrated figure in philosophy history.
>>
>>1053037
>last philosopher to write in verse

Lucretius
>>
>>1053338
Explain youself. "Philosophy" here, I think, is only the name given to this method of thinking and explaining the world.
>>
>>1053338
he said "started philosophy in Miletus" which is 100% accurate
>>
>>1053320
You are confusing actual sourced anecdotes with made up shit.

Thales fell to a well and didn't die for that

It wasn't Pythagoras who killed the guy

Etc.
>>
>>1053320
i never understood the cursing beans thing.
is it like jesus cursing figs, like there's probably something more to it than it seems?
>>
>>1053487
And I'm not sure that anyone wanted to take Spinoza's life? They just excommunicated him from the Jewish community afaik?
>>
Spinoza was born in Portugal and moved to the Netherlands when the Jews were expelled. Thus Portugal lost its only chance to have a relevant thinker ever.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.