[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should we read philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
Why should we read philosophy?
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 612x380
because it's fun and the cool kids are doing it.
>>
File: 1360186082463.jpg (69 KB, 569x681) Image search: [Google]
1360186082463.jpg
69 KB, 569x681
In order to discover the Truth exposed by Plato and neoplatonists.
>>
A philosophic system is an integrated view of existence. As a human being, you have no choice about the fact that you need a philosophy. Your only choice is whether you define your philosophy by a conscious, rational, disciplined process of thought and scrupulously logical deliberation -- or let your subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions, false generalizations, undefined contradictions, undigested slogans, unidentified wishes, doubts and fears, thrown together by chance, but integrated by your subconscious into a kind of mongrel philosophy and fused into a single, solid weight: self-doubt, like a ball and chain in the place where your mind's wings should have grown.
>>
>>1205154
No one "should" read it. Anyone who isn't naturally attracted to it, doesn't belong anywhere near it.
>>
To organize critical thought by challenging, updating and systematizing your views, which is the tl;dr of >>1205177
>>
>>1205206
>>1205177

Why would we need to do that, wouldn't be better to live life far from critical thinking as long as you are happy?

Is philosophy a way to reach happiness?
>>
>>1205154
You don't have to
>>
>>1205252
Don't listen to them, there is no reason why you should or need to read philosophy if you are not already naturally inclined to do so. People who aren't inclined, end up asking preposterous questions like

>Is philosophy a way to reach happiness?
>>
File: 1463788460414.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1322) Image search: [Google]
1463788460414.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1322
>>1205154
To mock those two fags.
>>
>>1205252
>Is philosophy a way to reach happiness?
Ancient philosophers would not only say yes, but also attribute a salvific role to philosophy like >>1205174 does.

I'm gonna do the humble thing, so l'll just say I happen to feel happier if I'm less full of shit, or "inconsistencies" as people in this field prefer to call it, and that I tend to recommend it.
>>
It depends though.

Reading ontology, might not have any purpose or point at all, but reading ethics might change your life.
>>
Because history is interesting and many an important historical decision is rooted in one side of a philosophical argument
>>
To expose our many thinking errors
>>
>>1205270
We are naturally inclined to do a lot of things, but sometimes we need a reason to do them. If we knew what are we destined to do since we were born happiness would be instantaneous, for you would know you are doing what you were destined to do in this world (if you have the options to do it).
>>
>>1205354
>but sometimes we need a reason to do them
The reason should be a natural innate desire, like curiosity. Anything with a secondary motive behind it like "because I want to be more perceptive" etc. (the secondary motive there being that you want to be perceptive for another reason, like social status, or wanting to accumulate wealth) is the wrong approach, and you are doomed to warp what you learn in some way, even if you are competent enough to get a reasonable grasp on the material. You could still contribute to the material, but not only is this an EXTREMELY rare outcome for someone with a secondary motive (and also questions whether they didn't also approach the material with some natural motive like curiosity anyway), but even then, you will never contribute, or walk away with as much as someone who is both competent and naturally curious / desirous of it.

In short, I would never recommend anyone to read philosophy if they did not have this natural inclination to it. Going by experience, you are bound to become worse off for it. You either become neurotic, or pretentious, or more incompetent and stupid from it, because it's not meant for you. People should not consume things that are not meant for them. Same principle goes for foods — some things are harmful to humans, some humans have allergies and they have additional things to be weary of. You have to abide by that principle for your spirit and mental health as well.
>>
Let's take Epictetus.

Someone that has read and understood Epictetus properly changes a lot on how he views life.
Gets less materialistic, less hedonistic and due to that a happier person.

People that read Epictetus don't become like those creatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFl5dMIl_zM
>>
>>1205381
Curiosity doesn't last forever, the great philosophers must've had another reason to contribute to philosophy as they did.
>>
mostly to develop better arguments than "no u"
>>
>>1205499
Passion, which is where curiosity stems from, and what it develops into once kindled by experience.
>>
>>1205499
Passion, which is what curiosity stems from, and what it develops into once kindled by experience.
>>
bababboi
>>
>>1205513
You don't really need philosophy for that.
>>
>>1205546
To find your passion you must try new things, reading philosophy with the mindset that its not your passion will trump your interest in a hurry.
>>
>>1205177
well shit
>>
>>1206148
>To find your passion you must try new things
Isn't that what curiosity is? Wanting to try or learn new things? So, that's what you should have. Reading philosophy because your peers tell you to, or because you think it will earn you some social status or wealth, will result in you either warping what you read into some absurdity, make you a neurotic retard, or cause you to develop some philistine-level materialism at best.
>>
>>1206385
Personally I want to read philosophy for enriching myself with knowledge, thereby I want something out of it, which in the end I think it's wrong since your point of view is kind of right.

Making things in order to get something back will lead out to frustration if the goal is too abstract or hard to achieve.
>>
>>1205252
in quite a few cases it's the ONLY way to reach happiness

-organize your thoughts to find protection against things that makes one unhappy
-finding ways to maximize your happiness once you find it
-prove wrong the justifications of various ideals and actions that will only cause harm to you and everyone around you
-prioritize what is really important from what really isn't
-get all the short-term pleasures without suffering long-term consequences
-find out who the hell you are and what you actually want (probably the most difficult things to find really I still haven't found either).
-and of course the most useful philosophy pursuit of all: finding a way to get whatever you want.
>>
>>1205174
you mean the truth from Thomists
>>
bumpit
>>
>>1205177
Give me the latter.
>>
>>1205177

This is a good summary. I also think that I think Seneca encapsulates it well.

"Philosophy is no trick to catch the public; it is not devised for show. It is a matter, not of words, but of facts. It is not pursued in order that the day may yield some amusement before it is spent, or that our leisure may be relieved of a tedium that irks us. It moulds and constructs the soul; it orders our life, guides our conduct, shows us what we should do and what we should leave undone; it sits at the helm and directs our course as we waver amid uncertainties. Without it, no one can live fearlessly or in peace of mind. Countless things that happen every hour call for advice; and such advise is to be sought in philosophy."
>>
File: Emperor_golden_throne.jpg (102 KB, 550x500) Image search: [Google]
Emperor_golden_throne.jpg
102 KB, 550x500
Because you can become all knowing and wise at shit just like me
>>
>>1210001

Imperial creed is best philosophy.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.