[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did people start having 3 meals a day?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
When did people start having 3 meals a day?
>>
>>1046928

I dont know, I only have two.
>>
Industrial revolution
>>
>>1046933
No
>>
i just have my coco pops in the morning then i don't have anything until dinner
>>
>>1046928
I know the Romans had 3 meals but I don't know if it stared with Them.
>>
>>1047022
Started*
>>
>>1046928
it's just the most convenient. If you're working from mid-morning until the evening, you're going to want food before you start, a break in the middle and food when you finish. So it's as old as settled human society, though obviously different cultures have very different working practices
>>
I'm very curious about this.

In my personal experience, many agricultural societies have a small meal in the morning and then a large dinner. The first meal should be filling enough to help fuel a day's work, but light enough not to impede physical labor shortly after eating. After a day of labor, a hearty appetite has been developed by dinnertime.

I think the rationale for this is:
A) It typically involves fewer calories than 3 meals, even if the dinner is large
B) taking a midday break to eat hurts productivity and it can be inconvenient to bring a lunch out to the fields with you

Many hunter-gatherer people eat throughout the day, skimming from what they collect while foraging (if you've ever gone and picked your own fruit and vegetables, you understand), and then have one large meal in the evening.

No fucking idea where lunch comes from though. I'd love to learn more.
>>
>>1046928
To keep the women busy while the men worked on the fields.
>>
Ooga booga west african here

Lunch is normally the biggest meal of the day in rural areas

Breakfast is just a snack

If it's a special day there's a small supper
>>
>>1049317
dunno, "woman bringing food to workers in the field"/"keeping a pot of red orach soup/polenta/whatever in your pack/wagon" is a very old image over here.
>>
>>1047022
The Romans usually had two meals per day
>>
>>1049395
You're saying on normal days there's no supper at all?
>>
>>1049409
I don't doubt it. My observations are from spending time in Nepal.

In rural Poland, where I grew up, we ate three meals a day. Women would typically call them men in from the fields for lunch.
>>
>>1049395
>Ooga booga west african here
kek
Are you Euro-Afro? Or pure Afro?
>>
>>1049464
>In rural Poland, where I grew up,
>>1049409
>over here.
>>1049395
>west african here
Why so many non-Americans?
>>
File: cocoa zuccotto.jpg (102 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
cocoa zuccotto.jpg
102 KB, 736x552
>>1046933
They were already having 3 meals a day during roman times.
A big breakfast, which was whatever is left from yesterday's dinner, a small lunch, which they ate while the worked, like fast food, and a HUGE dinner, a family feast with a proper cooked meal.
>>
>>1047021
you're coocoo
>>
>>1049476
Because this is /his/
t. german crossboarder
>>
>>1049476
If you don't like it you can make a wall around the board and make Mexico pay for it.
>>
>>1049660
I was just wondering.
>>
>>1049476
>only Americans can talk about food
>>
>>1049476
Are you new on 4chan? Did you discover this board thanks to reddit, perhaps? Just curious.
>>
I've never eaten 3 meals a day. That's what fat people do. Two works out much better for me.
>>
>>1046928
>people back then had sliced bread
>>
>>1052133
The romans had it.
>>
>>1052150
bread wasn't invented until 1832
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.