[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What barbarian tribe gave the Romans biggest trouble?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11
File: get the camera.jpg (8 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
get the camera.jpg
8 KB, 222x227
What barbarian tribe gave the Romans biggest trouble?
>>
Jews
>>
The Huns.
>>
Batavians
>>
>>1044576
Carthaginians
>>
>>1044590
They weren't barbarians faggot.
>>
>>1044594
It's a dip you meme
>>
>>1044580
meme barbarians.
they barely ever fought the romans, they were their allies most of the time, and were defeated in the first major battle against Rome.
>>
>>1044594
>killing babies isn't barbaric
>>
>>1044576
Goths and the Joos
>>
Hebrews.
>>
Avars.
>>
Vikings
>>
Goths obviously
>>
Turks
>>
>>1044618
>implying romans didn't commit infanticide themselves
>>
Dacians. Tough war of conquest, didn't hold the region and lost it eventually, had to adapt their armour for Dacian weaponry.
>>
Teutons
>>
Dacians followed by Jews because Jews are absolutely subversive
>>
Getae.
>>
>>1044733
t. Ion Basescu
>>
File: 1433267435559.jpg (16 KB, 321x325) Image search: [Google]
1433267435559.jpg
16 KB, 321x325
>>1044594
>>1045038
Everyone is a Barbarian who can't speak Greek or Latin, except for Egyptians.
>>
>>1045150
Greeks called even Egyptians barbarians.
>>
File: 1314527315266.jpg (25 KB, 448x500) Image search: [Google]
1314527315266.jpg
25 KB, 448x500
>>1044578
>>
>>1045054
The matter of civilization is not decided upon a nations stupid religion you cockgobbling buffoon.
>>
>>1045054
They're not classified as "barbarians" but they're like gypsies. They infiltrate and destroy with subversion rather than fighting like honourable men. They helped to fell Rome, they fell the Russian empire and every other that fell to Marxism, and they're felling all of the West as we speak. Fuck those guys.
>>
Roman empire->Germanic people
Byzantine empire-> Bulgars and Muslims(Arabs and Turks)
>>
>>1044578
this
>>
The Romans.
>>
File: 1425988627094.png (8 KB, 346x330) Image search: [Google]
1425988627094.png
8 KB, 346x330
finns
>>
>>1045054
If that's the case, why did the Greeks manage to affect the JEws ((Hellenization)) much more than the Jews ever effected the Greeks before Christianity?
>>
The Vandals.
>>
>>1046114
It's difficult to choose, but the vandals certainly gave them hell on hearth.

Even today we use the word vandal to mean violent bastard who breaks everything and everybody, at least in Spain (the vandals passed through Spain)
>>
>>1045065
Half of Germania was conquered and garrisoned.
>>
>>1044576
Germanics were plaguing the Romans since the 2nd century BC. Celtics were always beaten and neutralized as a threat, Illyrians were a one time thing, Dacians only were an issue during the Crisis of the 3rd Century and they still got their asses handed to them by Aurelian. And of course we can't forget about Attila and his hordes.

Obviously the Parni/Persians don't qualify as barbarians and neither do the Greeks or Carthaginians.
>>
>>1046028
I'll tip you whore mother at the brothel you shitstain.
>>
>>1046114
This is the correct answer
>>
Germanics, obviously
>>
>>1044576
Not quite barbarians but the Parthians
>>
>No mention of the Lusitanians yet
Viriatus was the best barbarian leader
>>
Germanic tribes
My ancestors
>>
File: Muh Rome.jpg (133 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
Muh Rome.jpg
133 KB, 640x475
>>1046191
>Celtics were always beaten and nuetralized as a threat.
Cry harder Rome.
You don't want another sword on the scales do you?
>>
File: Battle of Mon Grapius.jpg (103 KB, 312x588) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Mon Grapius.jpg
103 KB, 312x588
>>1046917
>>
>>1046948
>when Rome lies about bating a bunch of starving farmers.
>Still can't get over being keked so hard by Brennus after 400 years.

I'll just stay here with my soap, have fun in your stinky city.
>>
File: Never trust a Roman.png (23 KB, 1696x134) Image search: [Google]
Never trust a Roman.png
23 KB, 1696x134
>>1047106
forgot pic
>>
File: Battle of Caer Caradoc.png (11 KB, 316x397) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Caer Caradoc.png
11 KB, 316x397
>>1047106
>>1047107
Shut up Celtic subhuman.
>>
>>1044578
fpbp
>>
>>1046114
In dutch vandaal is someone who destroys stuff basically so these guys really must have done something to be known so.
>>
>>1047616
Same thing in english.

And yea their sack of Rome left a long lasting impression.
>>
>>1045190
The Greeks called each other barbarians
>>
>>1044578
/thread
>>
>>1044618
>he fell for 2500 year old propaganda
>>
>>1045038
Were dacians really that formidable?
>>
>>1047972
Well there's accounts of Dacian weapons cutting through Roman armor, and the Romans did have to stomp through fortifications too.

Jews were more of a pain in my eyes. They led multiple revolts that brought Emperor upon Emperor back to deal with them.

Germans win out to me though. As much as they wanted to be Roman and keep the power infrastructure intact.
>>
>>1047955
No they didn't.
>>
>>1047955
No they didn't you idiot
>>
>>1044576
i never cared too much about the romans, so what's the deal between the jews and them?
>>
>>1048058
>Romans were pagans
>Jews were fiercely monotheistic
>in the many expansions of the empire, the Jews fell under Roman authority
>Romans didn't really care too much about Jews
>Caligula statue policy offended them
>general rebelliousness in Jewish population
>Nero's reign they revolt
>have to be put done, revolt is extremely bloody for the Jews and for any roman caught in Judea
>revolt put down but Jews are still very bitter
>Hadrian's reign
>another Jewish revolt, just as violent and bloody.
>Is difficult and time consuming to put down
>Hadrian, tired of the Jews, renamed the province after the ancestral enemies of the Jews and scatters the people to the four winds
>Jews stop the revolting shit and form Diasporas that spread across the world.

I'm like summarizing centuries of history but the gist of it was the Jews were hyper-radicals that didn't take too kindly to Roman rule at it's worst.
>>
>>1047993

The Jews were actually the first recorded 'knife stabbing terrorists', similar to what Israel and Palestine are doing now, just in reverse.

To me, that has always been historically comical. To hear Israelis plead about how the land they stole a second time with modern Israel - the first being the conquest of cannon - is not safe, because they are being stabbed by insurgents. makes me laugh with joy. Because the Romans who occupied it 2000 years ago said the same things of the Jewish insurgents, and contested that they are the 'better culture' and government (as they were slightly more liberal and technologically advanced).

I swear, if there is a god, and he is the god of Israel (literally, a 1/35 million chance - since Hinduism has 32 million deities alone- than he must have a cosmically profound sense of humor.
>>
>>1048445
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicarii
>>
>>1047967

It's pretty common place to know this as fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_sacrifice#Phoenicia_and_Carthage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Carthage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Carthage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Canaanite_religion
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/moloch.html

In summery:
> Carthage was Phoenician, this is the land of the Canaanites

>Carthage practices a similar religion as Canaanites who are recorded by other cultural groups - like Jews - to sacrifice children (the cult of moloch).

>Two civilizations with relatively impeccable record keeping (due to their trade) describe the same cultural practice of a regional people, that of Canaanites -->who are Phoenicians -->who are Carthaginians.

>"You fell for the old propaganda-propaganda"
>>
>>1044609
Huns were the ones driving the Goths into the Western Empire.
>>
Dacains
>>
>>1048491
And the Romans fucked themselves over because they completely mishandled the Goth situation.
>>
File: image.png (831 KB, 1400x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
831 KB, 1400x1000
Germanics really were annoying, but beyond Teutoneberg (an ambush led by an insanely incompetent governor in conjunction with trickery by a guy loyal to Rome his entire life) there was no great threat to Rome's survival. Rome consistently anally devastated the Germanic tribes like the Marcomanni by Aurelius, or the coalition of 100,000 of Aristovus by Caesar

The celts definitely fucked Rome up, but Rome ass-raped them in response

The eastern empires like Parthia or the Sassanids really didn't become a major empire-ending threat till Rome herself was no longer part of the Empire, with the only capital in Constantinople.

I'd say probably the Vandals, considering they devastated the WRE and remained near the area till the arrival of the Ummayad rape train
>>
>>1044576
Scythians and Sarmatians were always fairly problematic.

Being nomads with wide-ranging parties of herdsmen, they'll detect a Roman column on the open steppe and have upped sticks by the time they get there.

You can march round for weeks and not see a soul before suddenly a cloud of arrows arcs over a hill and rains down around you, and then they are gone again.

The best way to beat the Romans is to have no permanent settlements to besiege, and never fight a pitched battle where they can bring their infantry to bear.
>>
>>1048017
>>1048032
Didn't some Greeks consider the Epirotes and the Macedonians to be "barbarians" despite the modern consensus holding them to be Greeks?
>>
>>1048558
>Vandals
A surprisingly small tribe, unlike the tribal confederations that generally faced Rome
>>
File: asterixandfriends.png (184 KB, 392x316) Image search: [Google]
asterixandfriends.png
184 KB, 392x316
pic related
>>
>>1044576

The Visigoths basically rekd the Empire, both of them, but the high walls of Constantinople saved the Eastern one.

The Carthaginians were labeled barbarians and they made the romans eat a lot of shit. War-wise, definetely the most. Parthians also made the romans eat shit, but the didn't fall under the Barbarian label, not even by the romans.
>>
>>1047993
>Germans win out to me though.
>Germans

Germanics*
The German (Deutsch) people was born in the 9th centurty, long after the fall of the Roman Empire
Avoid confusing these two terms.
Dumb English language make them look similar, but they define two very distinct things
It would be like using "Polish" to talk about Slavs as a whole
>>
>>1044590
>>1044594
They weren't a tribe.
>>
>>1048223
The second war devastated the Cyrenaica part of the province Creta et Cyrenaica to such an extent that Hadrian had to recolonise it with people from throughout the empire.
>>
>>1048017
>>1048032
Yes they did, they called Macedonians and Epirus Barbarians despite being Greeks. They were basically just shitflinging bantz and idiots today believe it.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.