[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to learn the complete history of the Roman empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 6Nt4OH6.jpg (136 KB, 676x960) Image search: [Google]
6Nt4OH6.jpg
136 KB, 676x960
I'm looking to learn the complete history of the Roman empire down to the collapse of the Byzantines. Any recommendations on books / sets of books?

pic slightly related
>>
>>1044068
>Roman Empire
Literal meme history desu senpai
>>
>>1044085
What about Greeks?
>>
just read wikipedia then find books on whatever interests you the most
>>
>>
For Mid Republican Roman history, Livy and Polybius are your best bet. I like Polybius and his Histories give you a good overview of the rise of Rome over about a hundred years

Tacitus is good for a coverage of the Julio-Claudians, and the Flavians. I find his prose very boring and he's pretty pompous and obnoxiously patriotic, but if you're looking for knowledge, he's your man, even if he's not entirely objective.

Only book(s) I've read on late antiquity is Gibbon's famous work. Very entertaining and informative, but remember, it is dated and has some very obvious bias, especially when covering the rise of Christianity.

Hardly know anything about Byzantine history after the fall of the West sorry.
>>
>>1044088

Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon. The three amigos. Then Plutarch if you want to get into the Hellenistic period

Read them and you get a good overview of the Classical period.
>>
>>1044068
Plutarch is pretty great for the Republican era but he's entirely biased and admitted it a lot, his Lives still make for really entertaining reading though
>>
>>1044068
You definitely will want to read some Livy and Arrian, Plutarch is good too, there's a Greek fucker whose name I'm forgetting right who now covers some of the later period

That said you'll want secondary source. I can tell you that Arrian and Plutarch differ on what Sulla was up to for example, and they're not really accurate. I remember one specific passage by Plutarch where he says Sulla hanged out with some Satyrs in Greece.

You'll want to focus on certain periods. The fall of the republic (from the Gracchi to Octavian) is mandatory and the early Palatinate is as well.

I recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History for good and entertaining coverage of the former and I Claudius for the latter. Supplement these with the original texts already mentioned and you'll have a good understanding.

For the later period, it gets more difficult, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire covers it in it's entirety but is 300 years old. I recommend doing a brief overview and then choosing the emperors you're most interested in and focusing on them. There's 450 years of history and dozens of annalists there so I can't tell you what to read precisely, other than the guy whose name I can't remember.
>>
>>1044827
I should add, if you want to read about Byzantine history, there are lots of annals but some of the sources are hard to find. The one that I wish more people read is the Alexiad by Anna Komnene, it's fabulous, written by the Emperor's daughter during the First Crusade.
>>
Thanks for all the suggestions I will most certainly look into them.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.