[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Esperanto vs. Latin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: descarga (1).jpg (10 KB, 289x174) Image search: [Google]
descarga (1).jpg
10 KB, 289x174
So there are a pair of edgy teens trying to convince me that Latin is useless and I should learn Esperanto instead. I told them Latin has way more literature to read, and they just told me that I was being dumb for preferring quantity over quality. They also pointed out Chine has Web pages in Esperanto but not in Latin.

All of this, in the humanities board of another language Chan.

What does /his/ think of this?
>>
Both are pretty useless t.b.h.
>>
>>1207581
For the field of humanities at least Latin is way, way more useful.
>>
>>1207577
> Esperanto
> Speak to esperanto nerds

> Latin
> Read the primary sources of a civilisation that lasted for well over a thousand years
> Read a good chunk of the primary sources of societies that existed well after it

If you want to be a historian, Latin is extremely valuable. It's easily more useful for any academic or intellectual pursuit than esperanto ever will be.

If they were arguing in favour of say, German or French or Mandarin, maybe they'd have a point. I'd say being able to learn one of those languages will be usefull in more situations than Latin, but a conlang?

Esperanto is no more useful than Klingon desu. Any major ancient language is a better choice, particularly Latin.
>>
>>1207743
Cont.

This isn't to say Latin is the best language to learn in all occasions. If you want to learn ancient languages, you should give serious consideration to Ancient Greek, maybe even Sanskrit or Old Irish if thats your thing. You'd be surprised how many universities offer those languages, and how much resources there are for them.

If you want to learn a language for pure usefulness - stick with a living language which is actually used by people. Neither a conlang or an ancient language is going to be more useful than something like Spanish or Russian.

If you're interested in languages in general and just want to learn something for grammar and linguistic interest - Latin is a good choice. So are a lot of living ones as well, like Finnish or Welsh. If you want an interesting thing to learn, you can so far better than a constructed language.
>>
Esperanto is nothing but a false and hollow Langauge that will never gain any sort of traction and anyone who advocates for it should have their tongues cut off. Those people are just annoying autists. At least with Latin you'll be speaking the language of intellectuals and be more civilized as opposed to Esperanto users.
>>
>>1207577
>told me that I was being dumb for preferring quantity over quality.
How the fuck do they reckon esperanto literature is better than Latin
>>
>>1207577

Latin is the ancestor of esperanto and all european languages except basque, funnish and hungarian
>>
Obviously these guys just want you to waste your time & life and you're seriously entertaining it.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.