[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he in the wrong in the Atlanta Campaign?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3
File: 800px-William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg (91 KB, 800x1015) Image search: [Google]
800px-William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg
91 KB, 800x1015
Was he in the wrong in the Atlanta Campaign?
>>
No.

Destruction of property is a legitimate military tactic.

He's hated because he cucked the South by reminding them that they couldn't defend their women and children from the Yankees.
>>
>>1042129
>Can't defend themselves from Yanks
>Can't defend themselves from wild Niggers
>Can't even defend themselves from each other
>Actually are proud of being poor and exploited.

So glad I'm not a Dixiecuck desu.
>>
Didn't he manage a rather lenient post-war policy against the dixies?
>>
>>1042161
If I remember correctly, he did his best to avoid politics once the war ended, and ended up shooting all of the buffalos to starve out the Indians.
>>
>>1042173
Damn
Even against the red man he goes all out
>>
>>1042105
It's not his fault the cuckfederacy was so stubbornly retarded
>>
>>1042150
They're the worst people on earth.

We should have razed the south to the ground and given their land to the freed slaves and European immigrants
>>
File: 1456368374460.jpg (82 KB, 477x539) Image search: [Google]
1456368374460.jpg
82 KB, 477x539
>yankee shitposting

stay obsessed senpai
>>
>>1042428
I'm sorry my accent triggers you so much senpai.
>>
It was strategically frivolous by that point in the war.

If the CSA had somehow won after the March to the Sea. Sherman and his officers would have been hanged for war crimes.
>>
>>1042469
They did nothing wrong
>>
>>1042105
I'm a southerner. Even I would've burned down half the south for starting a rebellion.

Total war is justified, Sherman was based.
>>
>>1042105
No
>>
>>1042129
That was the only thing he has going for him considering how incompetent he was in actual battles against his Confederate counterparts.
>>
>>1042105
In a different time he'd be called a war criminal, so make of that what you will.
>>
File: 1461038256659.jpg (1 MB, 1976x1778) Image search: [Google]
1461038256659.jpg
1 MB, 1976x1778
Reminder it took the vastly superior Union more then 4 years to beat the Confederacy and they had to do it mainly with human wave tactics.
>>
>>1042760
>waaaaaahhh we picked a fight with a bigger stronger opponent and his superior size and strength eventually did us in no matter how well we fought
>>
>>1042770
But you did stop defending yourselves when you fucking surrendered. The CSA could have at least had the decency to actually fight to the last man so we'd never have to carry the burden of their dumbfuck white trash descendants to this day
>>
>>1042766
Literally retarded.
>>
>>1042766
He's not whining, he's bragging.

Still dumb though.
>>
>>1042766
You are really dumb, my friend.
>>
Should have kept Sherman as the sticky image for eternal southaboo butthurt 2bh.
>>
>>1042760
>and they had to do it mainly with human wave tactics

The two sides didn't really use dramatically different tactics, though.
>>
>>1042783
>>1042799
>start a fight
>lose

Just giving an account of what happened fellas
>>
>>1042799

Classic "I'm mad but I can't figure out how you're wrong" response.
>>
>>1042760
you guys still lost your only war
>>
>>1042805
The Confederacy didn't suck ass at fighting unlike the federal government did.
>>
What do dixieboos generally point to as the inciting incident that kicked off the war? What did the north do to provoke the south that would have made the attack on fort Sumter justified?
>>
>>1042805
Actually, they did.

>>1042812
>you guys
>>
>>1042812
Stop samefagging.
>>
>>1042816
Electing a man who was going to outlaw slavery in the western territories.

Such horrible, despicable tyranny I know. I can barely type the words I'm so mad at the aggression and injustice of it all
>>
>>1042805
The Confederates stayed in the war as long as they did because the general quality of their soldiers and especially the skill of their generals is what kept them going.
>>
>>1042828
what do the western territories have to do with anything? they were full of harmless settlers and plains indians.
>>
>>1042813
>The Confederacy didn't suck ass at fighting unlike the federal government did.

Except they lost, so, you know...

The South had most of the experienced army officers, veteran troops, and home field advantage. The north had basically the entire navy, manufacturing, railroads, and a larger population. They each tried to play to their strengths, but only the Northern strategy was realistic. So really, I think if anyone "sucked ass at fighting" it was the retards who didn't understand that logistics wins wars.
>>
>>1042842
>we won a bunch of battles so even though we lost the war we actually won!

Dixie logic everybody
>>
>>1042835
If the Western states were free states, free states would outnumber slave states, and slavery would become political untenable in the US.
>>
>>1042760
Yeah, retarded generals tend to do that. It was only Sherman and U.S. Grant that actually knew how to fight a goddamn war.
>>
>>1042770
>defending yourself
>after firing the first shot
topkek
>>
>>1042842
Tecumseh was so incompetent when it came to being a military leader that he abandoned the actual purpose of his campaign in Georgia to commit heinous acts of violence against unarmed American settlers, the likes of which were noncombatant women and children.
>>
>>1042860

Who do you think you're responding to? Are you just so mad that you're saying anti-yankee stuff at random?
>>
>>1042835
As they became new states to be admitted to the union their non-slqvery status would tip the congressional balance of power against slavery eventually. Hence why there was so much vicious border fighting over slavery in places like Kansas and Missouri before the war

So yeah, you could make an argument that the north was gradually getting more aggressive towards the institution of slavery. What monsters, amirite?
>>
>>1042812
>only war

we won the revolutionary war for you goofs
>>
>>1042868
Are you France?
>>
>>1042868
>I am French

no you're not
>>
>>1042865
I'm responding the the topic of the thread, which is whether or not William Sherman was a war criminal or not.
>>
>>1042816
Lincoln wanted to potentially send most of the slaves to Liberia as part of the American colonization effort their, which would have decreased the post-war Afro-American population drastically. Which seems like something a lot of the stereotypical "racist Southernern redneck" types would support nowadays, but back then it was a different story.

You see, Southerners are actually enthralled with black people and their entire culture is basically whites copying black habits, while (ironically) claiming to be disgusted with blacks themselves. The wealthy Southern plantation owners styled themselves European aristocrats, while the poor white substance farmers enjoyed the fact that, while they were poor, they weren't on the lowest rungs of the social ladder. This is why freed slaves owning businesses and such caused so much conflict, as it reminded Southern whites that they essentially lived in no better conditions as many slaves, and were only spared the wipe and chains by comparison and little else. Freed slaves was also a problem for the Aristocracy, as slavery was essential to the plantation economy that made many Southern aristocrats so wealthy in the first place.

So freeing the slaves was the perfect bogeyman for the Southern Aristocracy to use to garner support from the white lower class toward the Confederate cause, despite it still meaning they'd be living amongst niggers, freed or not.
>>
>>1042888
Good summary. I'd be more willing to accept the southern assertion that the north started it if they'd just admit that the primary root cause of the war was fucking slavery
>>
>>1042881
>I'm responding the the topic of the thread,

Ok, so then not the post you linked to. Just checking.
>>
>>1042816
Fort Sumter was somewhat of a complex issue. It was an unfinished empty fort that guarded the port of Charleston. Six days after SC seceded, union soldiers moved into and occupied the fort under the cover of darkness. The SC authorities saw this as an act of aggression instead of just holding onto previous forts. However their was no immediate attack on their fort for about 3-4 months. They warned the Federal government that any attempt to resupply the fort would be seen as an act of aggression. Buchanan never attempted to resupply them for fear that other southern states would secede afterwards, however Lincoln did and Confederate forces captured Sumter and the remaining southern states seceded.
>>
>>1042888
>Lincoln wanted to potentially send most of the slaves to Liberia

jesus can /his/ stop spouting this meme. He mentioned it once. Liberian colonization was an ongoing movement that had many supporters north and south, but was never feasible on a massive scale. There is no way Lincoln would have every sent the slaves back to Africa.
>>
>>1042871
>>1042875
Who got the french involved?
>>
>>1042925
>I rescued you, Ma'am
>the police heard my screaming and crying and fought off the bear
>>
>>1042921
I'm not saying it was feasible, but it was an option that was considered when talking about what to do with the Freed slaves in the post-war.
>>1042896
Even if the South had won the war, I've never heard even the most vehement Dixieboo give me an idea how the CSA would remain relevant post war. It would have still been an underdeveloped economy based on a cash crop. It would have had massive problems as conflict between industrialists and plantation owners would have stalled economic growth, the already shaken confederation would have also most likely deteriorated even further, the Golden Circle is utterly deluded Althistory bullshit that's basically "Ancient Finnish Empire" tier except some people actually shilled for it in real life. How would it have turned out any differently from "Brazil in North America"?
>>
>>1042925
>Who got the french involved?

The French got themselves involved. The American Revolution was in many ways just another front in a much larger war between Britain and France.
>>
>>1042888
>You see, Southerners are actually enthralled with black people and their entire culture is basically whites copying black habits

lol, last time I checked it was the yankees that were obsessed with minstrel shows and exotic black performers.
>>
>>1042853
>We beat you by losing 50 men for every 1 of your own
>Totally owned!
Russian logic
>>
>>1042950
Minstrel shows satirized blacks, but they weren't necessarily pro or anti black. They were performances put on to show a stock character in various situations, these types of shows existed for centuries and it was one small example of that.

In contrast, things like food, music, language etc. in the South are all heavily influenced by blacks and vice versa in a way that you don't see in the North.
>>
I don't get why this event is such a scar on the South's psyche. By 20th century standards Sherman's campaign was incredibly mild
>>
>>1043053
>In contrast, things like food, music, language etc. in the South are all heavily influenced by blacks and vice versa

Obviously, as there was a huge black population. That's a little different than being "enthralled with blacks" or "copying". Same as arabs having a huge impact on Spanish Culture.

>language

I actually agree with Mcwhorter who says black English is actually traced from whites not africa.
>>
>>1043119
It's really not. I'm not from Georgia though, maybe it's just a microcosm for the Civil War at large. The Civil War is important in the south because it was the turning point from being integral to the American Republic and giving us Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Jackson, and Monroe to being an irrelevant section that gets shit on by the rest of the country.
>>
>>1042976
>50-1
ebin
>>
>>1043156
The difference is that there was still this, at the very least patronizing, attitude towards the black population at the best of times. There was still great objection, if not outright hostility, to the idea of blacks having equal rights from the white population. It didn't matter that they were essentially identical culture wise.
>>
>>1043175
Maybe because similar culture has nothing to do with it? Southerners never really despised blacks the way the Nazis hated Jews/Slavs. They just treated them as inferiors, similar to sexism imo. A sexist guy might share many things with women and be very closely emotionally with some, but he still believes they aren't the same as him and/or should stay in their place.

>There was still great objection, if not outright hostility, to the idea of blacks having equal rights

because they've viewed blacks as a fifth column who are used by northerners to undermine the south.

This is all historically speaking.
>>
>>1042910
I mean it obviously was a ploy by the central government to gain justification, but South Carolina gave it to them. If the union invades with provocation they probably lose Kentucky and Missouri which would be huge blows.
>>
>>1043266
Well, you could look at it one of two ways from the Confederate's point of view.

#1. Letting the Federal Government refortify Sumter would have completely delegitimize the Confederacy. You can't claim yourself a sovereign state and then let a now foreign government repeatedly break that sovereignty.

#2. Only the deep south left at this point and the upper south could've just remained with the union while #1 took place. Capturing Fort Sumter would galvanize support and lead to the upper south joining. After all, VA, NC, and TN were the most populous southern states and later gave the most men to the confederate war effort. If the Confederacy needed legitimacy, those three states would have given them it.
>>
>>1043173
>ebin
Fuck off.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.