[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Easter Rising: What If?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
How would the Irish War for Independence have gone differently if the Easter Rising had gone as planned? If the shipment of German guns hadn't been intercepted, if Eoin MacNeill had not told the Irish Volunteers to stand down, if the British hadn't intercepted the radio communications letting them know it was planned...

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the IRB/IV/ICA actually had a plan for what would happen next, or if they intentionally went ahead with a suicidal course of action..
>>
>>1201010
Ireland would probably be in a civil war between the the U.K. backed Ulsters and Ireland.
>>
>>1201560

That seems unlikely. Even if the fledgling Irish republic could hold Dublin, even if they could cause enough trouble in the countryside to draw off British forces, how long could they possibly endure? Once WWI was over they'd have the full force of the British army direct their way, not just mercenaries and token forces sent to quell a restless backwater.

Plus, the rising had almost no widespread public support in the beginning. That only came as the British started cracking down and executing the rising's leadership in a heavy-handed fashion, inflaming public sentiment. If Pearse and the rest were holding out in the Post Office, raising hell in the countryside, and brining the country to a halt, they'd receive widespread public scorn, and the blame for the unrest would fall on them in the public eye. Plus, eventually the British would just cut them off from the countryside, strangling their lines of communication and supply.
>>
File: 1459931266213.png (1 MB, 2426x1314) Image search: [Google]
1459931266213.png
1 MB, 2426x1314
Easter?
>>
Wasn't the plan to create a big of enough stink that the Brits couldn't kick them out without pulling too many troops from the front, thus forcing the Brits to the negotiating table?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.