[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: 1st.duke.northumberland.jpg (53 KB, 506x600) Image search: [Google]
1st.duke.northumberland.jpg
53 KB, 506x600
General books thread.

I have a question for /his/torians. I have a few months of downtime coming up, and so I have decided to educate myself on philosophy and abrahamic theology. I haven't read all that much on either so I am looking for some good books to read.

I am basically going to order a bunch of books and read and take notes on them to gain a decent understanding of the books. What I have down is the following:

- King James Bible
- Qu'ran
- Oxford's World Classics JS Mill
- Oxford's World Classics Thomas Paine
(The above two are collections of their essays)
- Atlas Shrugged
- Das Kapital

I have 6 so far, and I want 10 decent books to give me a decent grounding. Which ones would you add or remove?
>>
File: 5eb.jpg (26 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
5eb.jpg
26 KB, 600x750
>>1034550
>- Atlas Shrugged
>>
File: multitip.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
multitip.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
>>1034550
>Das Kapital
>>
>>1034550
don't get atlas shrugged
>>
>>1034550
Read A History of God by Armstrong.

It's a tl;dr of the three monotheisms from their origins to today.
>>
File: AbeOik6.jpg (3 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
AbeOik6.jpg
3 KB, 160x160
>Atlas Shrugged
>>
>>1034626
>>1034688
>>1034712
Removed

>>1034683
Whats so bad about that? The communist manifesto wasnt all that bad
>>
>>1034697
Is there a point if I going to read the bible and qu'ran and potentially the hadiths in full anyway?
>>
>>1034550
War recommendations

Forward into Battle

De Pique's Battle Studies

On killing
>>
File: 20160420_131711.jpg (98 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
20160420_131711.jpg
98 KB, 1200x720
Rate my stack
Saw em at a bookstore for cheap and couldn't resist
>>
>>1034550
Atlas shrugged is by far the worst book i have ever read. Its badly written, the content is the mind of a triggered 12 Year old and it has 1000 Pages. Dont ever read any ayn rand, its horrible
>>
>>1034550
Hey speaking of books, what are some good sites to download shit from? I only know of bookzz and Library Genesis, but they don't have what I'm looking for.

Also anyone could recomment me a good biography of Vespasian?
>>
>>1035475
Laexdala is pretty good so is the Mabi. Pick Harold's saga if you see it, it's really good
>>
>>1035580
Will do. I'm about a third of the way through Orkeyinga and it's pretty great. Lots of guys writing poems after slaughtering an army.
>>
>>1035312
What's the point in reading outdated military doctrine?
>>
>>1036033
Understanding how war was waged when they were cutting edge.
>>
>>1035094
capital is much harder to read. the communist manifesto was written to appeal to a wide audience and so Marx simplified his message and was more rhetorical than anything. On the contrary capital is a technical work and a lot denser. I'd say you're a lot better off reading a secondary work on marx from here:
http://pastebin.com/whsJ10F7
>>
>>1034550
>Atlas Shrugged
>Das Kapital
Try On the Condition of the Working Class In England, and Reflection on the Revolution In France if you want a good primer to Conservative and Liberal thinking.
>>
>>1036140
Thanks, added
>>
If you are interested in right wing philosophy, read Evola.
>>
>>1036679
Ignore this mong.
>>
>>1036033
>>1036052
>Any of those are outdated.
>>
>>1036884
Why
>>
>>1039325
You choose an esoteric fringe philosopher as your embodiment of right wing thought?
Why not Burke or De Maistre?
>>
>>1040969
Why not read him in addition to those two?
>>
Here's my list right now; currently reading Mencius, and I'm planning to travel to East Asia in a few years.
- Book of Songs
- Seven Taoist Masters
- Classic of History
- The Water Margin
- Collected Poetry of the Tang
- Dream of the Red Chamber
- Book of Tea
- The Jesus Sutras
I'm looking for a book on the culture of Hong-Kong from late 18th to early 19th century, one on the Tong wars, and one on the warlord era.
>>
>>1042288
You could, but it is not exactly in the spirit of this thread.
>>
>>1034550
>- Das Kapital
You'll be better served as a beginner by E. Kamenka ed The Portable Karl Marx The Viking Portable Library) Penguin
>>
File: 1461459928207.png (144 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1461459928207.png
144 KB, 256x256
I feel dumb and want to educate myself on different parts of history. I'm starting with my own countries history, Scotland, and some others that sound interesting.

Any decent books that'll give me all the interesting broad strokes of the Sengoku period and some Vikings shit?
>>
>>1042631
cambridge history of japan on bookzz will have exhaustive treatment (though each volume is basically a series of well written essays that you can consult independently of each other)
>>
File: 51vbp8Q+PIL.jpg (50 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
51vbp8Q+PIL.jpg
50 KB, 328x500
Didn't want to make a thread before I asked: would this thread/board be appropriate for the discussion of something like the Fourth Turning? For those not familiar, it's a generation-based theory of history. I read the board sticky, and this book does talk about more recent events, and the future implications, but the bulk of it is about developing the tools to see history in terms of generations, and using those tools to examine American history, with a special emphasis on the last 70 years.
>>
>>1042618
>im an apostate therefore the book is wrong for everyone
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.