[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Define existence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
File: 1461242344218.png (264 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1461242344218.png
264 KB, 680x680
Define existence
>>
>>1033490
http://glossary.mundusmillennialis.com/

>EXISTENCE:

>A SENTIENT ENTITY'S OUTWARD PERSISTENCE; EXTENSION OF BEINGNESS ONTO THE WORLD.

I agree
>>
>>1033490
go back to univision
>>
>>1033499
So does god exist ?
>>
>>1033517
that website is a meme.

" to have actual being : to be real"

from webster
>>
>>1033505
Why?
>>
Being affected by reality
>>
>>1033519
And how is that definition opposed to the other?
>>
>>1033519
So for God to be real , he has to be part of the world. That is not true as it invalidates the prime mover theory or kalam argument.
Are we real for God as we are not part of his dimension or are we?
>>
>>1033548
>sentient
>persistence?
>extension of beingness?
>>
>>1033547
Define reality, is it 3 dimensional only?
>>
>>1033556
Beingness is synonymous to existence, is it not?
>>
>>1033556
So you don't actually know what you're discussing and posting about, yet you dismiss whatever is not in the dictionary, or isn't from an "official" peer-reviewed academist source.

Ok, you fucking mindless robot.
>>
>>1033552
both of those arguments as well as your post are begging the question.
>>
>>1033558
Nope.

"Beingness" is defined in that page too.
>>
>>1033558
it is. I was mocking the wordiness of that definition. 'extension of beingness onto the world' is repetitive. we got the point at 'beingness', which is a synonym of existence, so why even use it in the definition?

>>1033573
nah dude that was just a stupid fucking definition
>>
>>1033586

"Beingness", and "existence", aren't synonymous.
>>
>>1033594
Beingness is real and Existence is social construct?
>>
>>1033490
you are, therefore ur a faget
>>
>>1033609
What?

They aren't synonymous. That's all I posted.

You need to stop projecting your own preconceptions, and instead actually think.
>>
>>1033557
See, now that is a much better question.
>>
>>1033594
alright, how are they different?
>>
>>1033614
great post m8 10/10
>>
>>1033616
>remove your preconceptions
if only knew how to erase my memory
>>
>>1033594
Yes they are. One is just Germanic in etymology and the other is Latinate. Much like hindsight vs retrospect.
>>
when plato talks about abstract objects, he means non-existent in the physical realm right?

>>1033557

the three dimensional physical realm, I mean. Like I can envision a person I've met, but can I envision a 'person'? who is the true person?
>>
>>1033626
so mind can't process the thought of something that doesn't exist or doesn't have knowledge about it's presence?
>>
>>1033626
about the plato's abstract, even if it doesn't exist in physical realm, it must exist somewhere.
>>
>>1033637
you can process information that you can process, but that information has various subjective qualities forced upon it by your mind. when I think of a hat, I might think of a yankee hat. someone else might picture a sombrero.

the 'real' hat doesn't exist, it's an abstract object. a concrete object is one that presents itself in three dimensional form, in existence on our realm.
>>
>>1033620
Beingness comprises existence. Existence is just one aspect beingness.

Beingness is the quality of acting as being. Existence is the condition of being in the world, of being an actual and active agent.
>>
>>1033640
but an abstract object is nonexistent physically AND mentally. So what do you mean?
>>
>>1033653
if it is non existence mentally, how do we think about it?
>>
>>1033661
that's why I'm sort of confused by plato hahaha

my vision of it is here >>1033647

the thing you're thinking about isn't really existent in your mind, because of your own subjective experiences that shape your thoughts. it's not the 'true' form, because the 'true' form isn't real
>>
>>1033490
>i suffer therefore i am.
existence is the ability to suffer
everything that lives is in suffering
the meaning of life is to suffer less
every single act you ever made as aimed to suffer less
>>
>>1033683
Is this post also one of your attempt to lessen the suffering too ?
>>
>>1033717
distraction is one attempt to forget the suffering for a moment.
>>
>>1033728
But the moment you forget the suffering you also cease to exist (atleast for a moment)
>>
>>1033490
it is.
>>
>>1033490
is.
>>
An inherently meaningless product of the universe that we give our own meaning through our experiences of it. Our ability to do so is what separates us from animals.
>>
>>1033556
PERSISTENCE:

PERMANENCE, OR CONTINUANCE, OF THE CONDITION OF BEING A SENTIENT ENTITY.

BEINGNESS:

A SENTIENT ENTITY'S PERSISTENCE THROUGH SPACETIME, OR BEYOND IT.

"Sentient" is not defined on there, but it would basically be anything with the capacity for perception.

The definition of existence is pretty solid actually.
>>
>>1033624
>I can't into objectivism
>>
>>1033490
>>
>>1033490
Void of temporary existence. Dreadful and treacherous within.
>>
>>1033490
The irreducible quality.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.