[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is studying history from a Marxist perspective so widespread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: Curious-little-girl.jpg (150 KB, 783x1200) Image search: [Google]
Curious-little-girl.jpg
150 KB, 783x1200
Why is studying history from a Marxist perspective so widespread?

99% of the world doesn't give a shit what Marxists think about economics or human rights, so why should we care how they think historical study should be approached?
>>
Because jews
>>
File: Murphey280.jpg (11 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
Murphey280.jpg
11 KB, 200x150
>>1198509
>99% of the world doesn't give a shit what Marxists think about economics or human rights

That's frankly untrue, and this is coming from someone who is very right wing. Regardless of your political affiliation one should always study those who hold different convictions, especially if it goes against you. You can't safeguard yourself against Marxism if you don't understand it. Also there's nothing wrong with looking at History from different perspectives, same with literature/music/film/etc. It fosters a deeper understanding of the subject matter. Studying something from a Marxist perspective doesn't mean that you have to be a Marxist.
>>
>>1198509
>Why is studying history from a Marxist perspective so widespread?

It isn't. Doing history using Marxist historiography is widespread. Probably because the Annales and CPGB Historians Group demonstrated that it produces superior social history.

>99% of the world
doesn't give a shit about the discipline of history. Argument from the people is a shitty fallacy mate.

>what Marxists think about economics or human rights
What connection does this have to quality of historiography?

>so why should we care how they think historical study should be approached?
Because it is a field dominant methodology which has wide spread acceptance amongst conservative historians of politics and war, and liberal historians of mentality and event and culture?
>>
>>1198509

because the marxist approach to philosophy is an academic gold mine

you can basically revalue the whole of history to fit your plebeian views and a thousand academics and hack intellectuals will back you up
>>
>>1198546
>because the marxist approach to philosophy is an academic gold mine
Go read Thompson's "Poverty of Theory." The Marxist historians basically told the Marxist philosophers to shut their fucking mouthes.
>>
File: EarlyMan.jpg (22 KB, 360x242) Image search: [Google]
EarlyMan.jpg
22 KB, 360x242
>>1198522
This is the true way, amigos
>>
>>1198548

I'm sure they all experience odium figulinum from time to time, but Marxist historians are just as ridiculous as Marxist philosophers. No one outside academia takes either group seriously.
>>
>>1198548
fifel pls go or at least upload a .pdf of that book that no one but yourself knows/cares about
>>
File: 1445143566192.jpg (26 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1445143566192.jpg
26 KB, 552x594
>>1198509
>amateur historians don't take professional historians seriously
>therefore, professional historians are incorrect
>>
>>1198522
>if you eat shit every morning, you will understand why people don't eat shit

This is some retarded fucking logic
>>
>>1198563
Last time I checked communist and trot parties were outside of academia.

Reliance on hyperbole reduces your argument.

>>1198578
Do you know how to use google? home.ku.edu.tr/~mbaker/CSHS503/ThompsonPovertyofTheory.pdf
>>
>>1198610

yeah because 2000 people is totally a social movement

communist economist is a contradiction in terms
>>
File: 1458012941409s.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1458012941409s.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>1198585

>professional historian
>>
>>1198509
IMO Annales School is more widespread these days.

>>1198620
Yes you idiot. There are some people who actually study historiography and history in depth instead of just having a layman's understanding and spouting memes.
>>
>>1198585
>>1198631
>>1198620
Professional historians are fine, but historiography is a meme.
>>
>>1198618
Don't make hyperbolic statements then. Communist economist might be, but Marxist economist sadly isn't. Too many potentially great political economists go into the dismal science instead.

>>1198643
How's being a sophomore? I can see you're skipping class.
>>
>>1198606
Not as retarded as calling things you don't agree with "shit".
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.