[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In my experience, people who have studied English, creative writing,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1448210.png (50 KB, 700x788) Image search: [Google]
1448210.png
50 KB, 700x788
In my experience, people who have studied English, creative writing, or journalism usually make the worst writers. They take forever to make their point; there's 10 pages of fluff for every page of worthwhile content.

Any thoughts on this?
>>
>>1195132
it's common to all aspiring writers, regardless of whether or not they took writing classes
the key is realizing that the background fluff isn't on the page for the reader's benefit, but for your own. you yourself are kind of making it up as you go along, and you end up inserting pages of fluff about stuff nobody else cares about into the book in an attempt to get your own ideas straight in your head.
like imagine how much LOTR would suck if Tolkien had thrown the entire silnarillion into it as background fluff. there's a reason he wrote all that shit in a seperate manuscript that he only released later for dedicated fans of his works who actually WANTED to read the fluff
>>
>>1195132
/lit/
>>
>>1195140
*silmarillion
>>
Yeah they don't learn utilitous writing very well.
>>
>>1195132

I wonder if there is any connection to length and monetary amounts paid out (in total, not just the author/writer).

So a short, straight to the point 500 word article gets paid less than a 3,000 word article that has the same actual content but 2,500 added wasted words of waffle.
>>
Engineers best writers.
>>
>>1195140
He actually didn't release it. The Silmarilion was pubished when Tolkien was dead by his son using Tolkien's notes.
>>
psycholinguists are the most economical writers i've come across
>>
>>1195140
lots of fluff in this post
>>
File: eZpsn.jpg (109 KB, 581x679) Image search: [Google]
eZpsn.jpg
109 KB, 581x679
>>1195843
I like mathematicians
>>
>>1195843

>i never read a haiku b4
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.