[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interesting Historical Factoids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Emporer Qin Shi Huang.jpg (16 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
Emporer Qin Shi Huang.jpg
16 KB, 260x260
>The ancient Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang arrogated the pronoun "I" (Old Chinese, 朕) entirely for his personal use: he literally made it illegal for anyone in the entire nation to refer to themselves as "I" except for the emperor himself. All other speakers and writers were obliged to choose some appropriate epithet (such as 愚, "This Foolish One") instead of using the former pronoun. In Modern Standard Mandarin the first-person singular is 我, which was gradually adopted from a common epithet expressing "This [Worthless] Body".

Post others.
>>
>>1030937
That's a myth though.
我 is basically an attempt to be humble.

China's not the only one in this. Strangers in many places in 18th Century Europe ended letters with "Your most humble servant." Despite not having met each other
>>
File: nasreddin.jpg (47 KB, 501x555) Image search: [Google]
nasreddin.jpg
47 KB, 501x555
>>
>>1030950
It is not a myth though.

Source: Wilkinson, Endymion. Chinese History: A Manual, pp. 108 ff. Harvard University Press (Cambridge), 2000. ISBN 0-674-00247-4
>>
Apparently Gabriele d'Annunzio, a famous poet, writer and war hero, removed one of his ribs in order to perform auto-fellatio (aka self-blowjob).
>>
>>1031305
That is a rumor. May be true, but it is not a historical fact.
>>
>>1031305

Also this man was based as fuck

Almost overthrew Mussolini
>>
>>1031389
I would like to know about that.
>>
>>1031420

He was a war hero and a very popular fascist, even more that mussolini and he himself wasn"t really fascist more like riding on it

He championed the retaking of the city of Fiume that Italy didn't get due to some peace treaty negociation bullshit

He proceeded to take the city and rule it for 6 month independently

He was popular enough while governing it, having the support of most of the military and of italian in general

He was a writer/journalist before and wrote a lot about the glory of war, and when a war came he proved at the ripe age of 52 that he wasn't joking and got a lot of medal for his action

Dude was a hardass
>>
>>1031380
I know, that's why I wrote 'apparently', maybe 'allegedly' would suit better
>>1031987
He was fucking badass for sure: incredibly talented poet and writer, seduced countless women, war hero, political gambler and truly nationalist.
One of the most curious and incredible personalities of XX century for sure.
>>
>>1030937

Machiavelli, Italian Diplomat and author of The Prince, wrote a letter to a friend describing an ugly prostitute, also describing himself as "innocent". This was a man who had been tortured and had his arms broken by the Medici.

http://faculty.cua.edu/pennington/churchhistory220/Lecture13/MachiavelliLuigi.html
>>
>>1033469
>>1033483
Thanks.
>>
>>1031305
that's a myth
>>
>>1034077
Like the holocaust?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.