[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is knowledge considered inherently good? Why do people waste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1460842506012.jpg (344 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
1460842506012.jpg
344 KB, 640x852
Why is knowledge considered inherently good?

Why do people waste time trying to discover worthless truths like the origin of the universe? Science is great when it's useful, but what is the point of these so obviously worthless endeavors?
>>
>>1194747
Finding them a purpose.
>>
>>1194747
Keeps you busy.
>>
Furthermore, I'd like to ask why the layman even puts any energy at all into studying things like cosmology when they have no hopes of gaining any direct benefit or even making a meaningful contribution to the field.

I see this with atheists arguing with Christians all the time, why does it matter whether someone is a creationist or not? It not only has no effect on your life, it has no effect on anybody's life, the notion that man is created has no real life repercussions for the vast, vast majority of the human population. Even if creationism is false, it means fucking nothing at all, what a waste of time it is to even discuss this nonsense in the first place. On whose behalf are you even arguing? The dinosaurs'?
>>
>>1194747
>Why do people waste time trying to discover worthless truths like the origin of the universe?
By what definition of value is that worthless?
>>
>>1194747
>Why is knowledge considered inherently good?

You posted this sentence on the internet.
>>
>>1194796
What's so "good" about knowing worthless things?

>>1194791
Ah yes, the many applications of the knowledge of the big bag, such as
>...
>>
>>1194800
bang*
>>
>>1194800
So the definition of value you're using is the number of applications derivable from a concept?
>>
>>1194747
>Wasting time
>Obvioisly worthless
Opinion automatically diacarded
>>
>>1194800
Every incremental step in science doesn't necessarily need to have a big cash out. You develop theory, and occasionally it branches off into something which becomes useful.
>>
>>1194747
Pragmatism was the most cancerous school of thought that appeared in philosophy. Kill yourself.
>>
>>1194747

> Why is knowledge considered inherently good?

Why are you trying to know such irrelevant thing? Aswer this and maybe you find aswer for your first question.
>>
>>1194838
How is it bullshit ?
Its the most efficient school of thought.
>>
Well, what is the point of shitposting on a chinese counterfeiting board?
>>
>>1194853
>Its the most efficient school of thought.

You just evaluated schools of thought assuming pragmatism is correct. Do i need to point out the fallacy in that?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.