[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sacked Rome >sacked Constantinopole >Berserkers were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
>sacked Rome
>sacked Constantinopole
>Berserkers were the best shock troops of their time

why were Vikings so successful? Was it because of their war like religion and harsh climate?
>>
Every thread deserves at least one post.
>>
>>1013153
>sacked Rome

is this bait?
>>
>>1013165
http://www.thetoptens.com/ancient-warriors/

they sacked Rome
>>
They also discovered America and went all the way down to Texas, establishing river trading posts on the Ohio, Mississippi and Rio Grande. Houston was originally a Viking settlement named Bögaland.
>>
>>1013174
>using a website that lists Wayne Rooney as a better striker than Luis Suarez as a legitimate source

http://www.thetoptens.com/best-soccer-striker/
>>
>>1013181
>soccer

I'm not gay enough to care.
>>
>>1013174
>thetoptens.com

go back to /b/
>>
>>1013153
>sacked Constantinopole

There's literally no sources for that besides some kievan myth
>>
>>1013175

Gonna need source on that
>>
Just in case you're not actually fucktarded, OP, I'll answer honestly.

They didn't sack Rome, Goths and similar germanic tribes did... after the emperor left the Roman empire for Constantinopole. It'll be like when mexico starts annexing Texas, after Trump moves the capital to China.

When Romans weren't fucking around, they exterminated several hundred thousand Scandinavian invaders, when lead by Gaius Marius. They even describe them, named Cimbri and Teutons, as "gigantic in stature, white of hair and wielding round shields". Roman legions butchered them, raped their women and left nothing.
>>
This board is the easiest to bait I swear

t. not even OP
>>
>>1013153
>sacked Constantinople
When?
>>
>>1013175
>Bögaland
kek'd
>>
>>1013153
Hardrada - deposed earl, varangian mercenary, rich bastard, king
>>
>>1013175
>bögaland

What's funny is that this is actually true.

The settlement became so legendary in the homeland that a variation on the name, Stockholm, eventually became the name of the capital.
>>
>>1013365
How often did vikings work as mercenaries in general?
>>
>>1013406
Depends what you class as a "viking" norse men we reported as mercenaries from late Roman writers to many European writers. They often fought other Scandinavians (clans of Ireland recruited norsemen, even English kingdoms had norsemen when fighting the great heathen army.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.