[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In class do you prefer to take written notes or type up your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: handwriting-notes-1024x576.jpg (530 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
handwriting-notes-1024x576.jpg
530 KB, 2048x1152
In class do you prefer to take written notes or type up your notes?

You always hear it's better to handwrite notes. Supposedly you retain info better,. but for me writing is just so god damn slow. I just lose track of what the prof is saying. Plus, you have to look down to write. It's possible I just suck at note-taking but whatever.
>>
>Supposedly you retain info better
This has been scientifically proven, something with the consolidation of memories. It's been a year since I had my course on memory [nospoilerspossible]should have written some notes[/nospoilerspossible]
>>
>>1012577
I honestly would not be surprised if it's propaganda funded by the pulp and paper industry. And professors like saying it because they assume everyone on their computers is on Facebook.

But even if it's the case for most people, I can say it's certainly not for me. You lose a lot more information when you can't keep up with the speed of the professor.
>>
I write, but only the absolute crux of what he/she is saying. The details will most likely be found elsewhere. Throw in the intentional or otherwise obfuscation of information that they may deploy... basically don't hang on their every word.
>>
Throughout undergrad I took written notes. It wasn't until I was doing postgrad research that I began taking typed notes simply because it presented an enormous advantage.

Written notes can be advantageous for the sciences - writing down complex formulas with foreign characters, mathematical working and diagrams etc.

Generally speaking however, written notes should always be fine for lectures. There are only occasional instances in which it is totally essential to take notes for certain details - if the lecturer is spending precious time on details rather than focusing on the contours of the topic that may be an issue in itself.

Furthermore I found it immensely beneficial to practice summarising information into concise sentences rather than typing word for word what the lecturer is saying. This proved to be an essential skill for my postgrad research. There is simply too much information out there for you to have the time or even need to copy it all down. Read for what you need and do the same for your notes.

I would also argue that, even if you are only taking notes, having a laptop presents an obstacle between you and the lecturer which is of course a crucial relationship in any learning environment. I find in general that computer technology tends to obstruct human relationships as much as, if not more so than it enhances them.
>>
>>1012752
I should also add that handwriting is a dying art worthy of preservation. I will be disappointed to see the day when primary school kids do all their work with a keyboard instead of a pencil. Call me a luddite but I find writing far more elegant and humane.
>>
File: 1461073257212.png (5 KB, 435x269) Image search: [Google]
1461073257212.png
5 KB, 435x269
I don't take notes in class
>>
>>1012754
You should worry indeed. Now pupils in highschool are amazed when you actually write something on the board.

>>1012571
Written notes always with a pencil, not a pen (I write faster with this, dunno why).
Plus I can make side-notes, arrows and diagrams, etc...
>>
>>1012754
Outside of math and drawing I don't really see why it matters. I mean you admitted it was mostly sentiment but I just don't relate.
>>
File: chloe.jpg (7 KB, 208x227) Image search: [Google]
chloe.jpg
7 KB, 208x227
I'm an Adjunct College Professor and every student who uses a laptop to "take notes" is playing a game or surphing the WEB.

I make them sit in the back row because everybody who sits behind these "note takers" are just fascinated by the "notes" on the laptop.

It's bullshit.
>>
>>1012571
Type since I can save shitloads of time.

Also my handwriting is way too terrible.
>>
Yeah, I handwrite for that reason. Also it's nice not being the only faggot in class with a MacBook. I also copy illustrations from texts into them.
>>
>>1012796
I type way faster than I can write and my handwriting is worse than most doctor's but I still prefer it to a laptop because of this reason >>1012779

The internet just proves too tempting of a distraction.
>>
>>1012842
This.
Same as home, I've never studied harder than the time the internet went down...
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.