[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the existence of the Pirahã debunk pretty much every humanities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 070416_r16101a_p646.jpg (80 KB, 646x440) Image search: [Google]
070416_r16101a_p646.jpg
80 KB, 646x440
Does the existence of the Pirahã debunk pretty much every humanities theory?

>they have no concept of religion
>their language has no past tense
>their language has no numbers
>their language has no subordinate clauses
>they have no fables or stories
>they make no art
>they name their children after other members of the tribe, and many cannot remember the names of all four of their grandparents
>>
Any theory of objective humanity trend, sure. But no one really believes in that anyway.
>>
>>1011645
What we know about them is filtered through a rather dubious source.
>>
I don't believe human trends and "laws" should be taken as completely absolute but as a way to Generalize human behavior.
>>
>>1011645
maybe they're all daft
>>
sounds like most brazilians tbqh
>>
>>1011645
It debunks all the universal ones, sure, but those are few and unpopular anyway
>>
Take the linguistic claims which a few tons of salt. There's a lot of controversy around them.
>>
>>1011645
>Pirahã
>im supposed to believe this culture is just as valuable as the rest of the civilized world
>>
Big problem is we have exactly one expert on their language and society.
>>
>>1011645
>no religion
I bet they're still superstitious
>no past tense
So does mine
>don't remember grandparents name
So what.
>child named after relatives
My friend comes from ethnicities that does this.
>>
>>1011645
I'm not sure, I only read a little on them, but they seem to avoid transmitting history.

It also seems that they have no idea how to build canoes, store food or build any instrument beyond a scraping utensil.

It kind of makes a person realize the importance of history. Not sure if this adds anything either way to theories in the humanities.
>>
>>1011755

>no past tense

What language, anon?
>>
>>1011645
source on all this?
>>
>>1011645
>Literally like 2 scholars in the whole world that studied this language
>>1011803
Sadly Wikipedia
>>
>>1011797
spooks
>>
>>1011797
Not him, but it's nothing really special or out of the ordinary for a language to lack past tense or tense at all as a grammatical category. It doesn't mean that they are incapable of referencing events that happened in the past, just that they use other devices such as context or adverbs. Chinese is an example of a tenseless language.
>>
>>1011755
>>1011683

They know Portuguese now since Brazil started to educate them now .
The count in Portuguese and any unfamiliar term their language is missing they use Portuguese.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.