[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Tocharians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 23
What can you tell me in depth about the Tocharian culture of Xinjiang? Other than they were an Indo European Culture which happened to live in what is modern day western China and followed Buddhism?

I've always been intrigued by them, how much do we have on their people and culture? I know we have some of their poems and texts and that they had their own particular script, but just how much we know about them? Their way of life, their state organisation, their kingdoms, their architecture, what life in their society looked like.

I'd like some serious answers, no autism please, i know this is 4chan, but for once, just once, i'd like to have a serious, meaningful discussion about a historical topic that is actually, quite interesting.
>>
File: tocharian.jpg (591 KB, 1194x951) Image search: [Google]
tocharian.jpg
591 KB, 1194x951
>>1011557
They are an interesting bunch, I reckon they more than likely settled in the Turfan area and then later on may have been proto Kushans.
>>
>>1011610
Yeah i heard about Kanishka the king of the Kushans probably being of Tocharian stock, plus they were from what i gather, instrumental to the spread of Buddhism in China. I just wish we knew more about what their culture and their cities looked like, their day to day life, their manner of dress, their customs, it seems altogether all so fascinated yet so shrouded in mystery.
>>
It's not like all their cities were destroyed.
The Uyghur turks invaded and intermarried with a lot of the local population in the Turfan Depression
>>
>>1011664
True, but i'd guess the cities today aren't an accurate representation of how they looked back on Tocharian times, because, y'know, modernisation and all... though i'm sure there are some archaeological sites on them, what would be a good place to look at if i really wanted to have a glimpse of how Tocharian society actually looked like?
>>
>>1011644
There are many societies like that unfortunately . They were indo-Iran and were mentioned in the Vedas as tusharas and the gathas I think. There is a lot yet to be known but I doubt they were all that advanced maybe small townships and villages. But they may have changed evolved and intermarriage as a culture and THEN they became kushans so they are legitimate descendents of the Tocharians. Start there I guess
>>
In some areas the uighers have up to 60% european admixture
>>
Are there any of them left or are they all mixed now?
>>
>>1011698
Yeah i know we will never know everything about many ancient societies, which is quite frankly sad. i tried looking into some of the archaeological sites of the region and the idea i get is that, atleast architecturally wise, they were similar to the traditional central asian mudbrick constructions and walled cities, heck a lot like the ancient bactrians in fact http://www.phil.muni.cz/asian/pictures/gaochang3.jpg http://www.travelandleisure.com/sites/default/files/styles/1600x1000/public/images/amexpub/0030/3719/201205-w-most-visited-ancient-ruins-gaochang.jpg?itok=gVUuJljf https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cXzbnbK9t4Q/maxresdefault.jpg

So atleast, with that in mind, would it be safe to assume that they were somehow similar to the bactrians and related peoples culturally to some degree?
>>
>>1011557
We fucked them up good
t. Chink
>>
>>1011732
Ehh i believe the culture that displaced them was that of the Uyghurs, not the Han chinese per say, from what i can gather, their relations with the Han were at least amiable, with many embassies and envoys being sent to their lands and vice versa, and the Tocharians being in part directly responsible for the spread of Buddhism into china.
>>
File: IE_expansion-1.png (151 KB, 450x275) Image search: [Google]
IE_expansion-1.png
151 KB, 450x275
"The tarim mummies" is a very good introduction to the discovery of the mummies, their clothes and burial features, some genetic analysis, and a general overview of the history of the tarim basin and taklamakan. The author makes a fairly good case that the ancient mummies are the same people as the tocharians.

However, it is important to note that the tocharians are first known from their language, which is first foynd aroynd 800ad iirc. Obviously this is quite a gap between the actual mummies and the tocharoi...long enough for them to have been some slightly different group of indoeuropeans, or
A mix of successive maves of migration.

I suspect there could have been a large "scythian" contribution (who are a somewhat separate group: the scythians spoke iranian languages, while tocharian a and b appear to be from a much earlier subfamily of proto indoeuropean that broke off very early. The tarim mummies are often described as nordic or celtic in appearance (ginger and blonde hair), and their language is a centum, not a sentum language , which befo43 their discovery were seen as a western indoeuropean trait.

Also, the horse and chariot spread from the steppe into the tocharians area very early, and from their to china. Hence chinese civilization owes a lot to these early indoeuropeans.

I too would like to know more about this fascinating people.
>>
File: bmac.png (414 KB, 581x530) Image search: [Google]
bmac.png
414 KB, 581x530
>>1011726
>So atleast, with that in mind, would it be safe to assume that they were somehow similar to the bactrians and related peoples culturally to some degree?
Very much so because one of the first points of contact of a fairly organized civilization centered around trade and agriculture would have been a major influence on what is considered 'advancement'. So you might also want to read up on hte BMAC culture which was one of the first cultures to develop and spread in the area during the time of the great indo-aryan migrations.
>>
>>1011823
I've read a lot about the mummies too, and i do find them fascinating and will definately check more on them. I heard that the Yuezhi mentioned in the chinese records may very likely be Tocharians/Proto-Tocharians as well and would like to know more about it.

I did suspect some scythian influence! Considering they are relatively close to the eastern scythian tribes and other east iranic peoples. I'm reading a lot on their language and script, they are quite unique, but sadly yet very poorly understood. Now, how similar, in terms of cultural practices, day to day life and so on would you say they were to their neighbors? More specifically peoples like the central asian sogdians and bactrians (I mean pre hellenic bactrians of course.)?
>>
>>1011732
>we
Mongols, Turks, other nomadic and semi-nomadic peoples did. You have trouble controlling your Uyghur population.

>>1011823
>>1011859
The Greco-Bactrian Kingdom is interesting too.
>>
>>1011859
Thanks a lot, will certainly read more on them.
>>
>>1011872
If you're interested in old, dead, cultures: look into the Varna Gold.
>>
>>1011877
Why go back that far, just look at the hippies, that shit is hilarious, most of them are old single wastrels and mentally retarded.
>>
>>1011877
Will definately take a look later, thanks for the info.
>>
>>1011917
I meant, at the Varna Necropolis, not the hippies.
>>
File: traders.png (1 MB, 1280x903) Image search: [Google]
traders.png
1 MB, 1280x903
>>1011869
>The Greco-Bactrian Kingdom is interesting too.
Indo-Greeks are indeed interesting, the adjoining of Buddhist and greek culture is a unique blend of practicality and spirituality.
>>
>>1011928
Another beautiful thing destroyed by the Turks.
>>
>>1011823
>Also, the horse and chariot spread from the steppe into the tocharians area very early, and from their to china. Hence chinese civilization owes a lot to these early indoeuropeans.

THIS!
>>
>>1011732
>We fucked them up good
Actually the Indo-Iranians of the Tarim Basin City states were good friends of the Chinese Dynasties.

Because they weren't Steppeniggers.

It was the Uyghur/Nomadic Kings that moved into those cities that became the problem.
>>
>>1011698
They were not iranian, thats what makes them so interesting. They represented an unique branch of ie. Also on centum side of isogloss.
>>
File: Uighur_Prince.jpg (104 KB, 488x640) Image search: [Google]
Uighur_Prince.jpg
104 KB, 488x640
>>1011708
"Shuhua Xu, Huang Wei, Qian Ji, and Jin Li. "Analysis of Genomic Admixture in Uyghur and Its Implication in Mapping Strategy." The American Journal of Human Genetics 82 (2008): pages 883-894. As individuals, this study's Uygurs' "European" ancestral component ranges from as low as 48.7% in one person to as high as 62.2% in another person.

It seems Uighurs are more europid than mongoloid by very little
ancient Uighurs relgion was also buddism and manicheism(and iranian religion)
so it is safe to assume part of the tocharians were absorbed into Uighurs who were non-nomadic
But from the paintings from that time, i guess the ruling class was mongoloid
pic related
>>
File: tocharian_vowels.gif (5 KB, 272x106) Image search: [Google]
tocharian_vowels.gif
5 KB, 272x106
tocharian script is straight up pokemon gold and silver
>>
WE
>>
>>1013705
That or people drew them similar to themselves especially back in ancient times.
>>
>>1013916
WUZ
>>
(copypasta)
>Qin
A powerful red-haired Caucasoid from the Western frontier uses Western inventions such as the chariot to invade the East and conquers all the yellow-skinned submissive Mongoloids and rules over them. He institutes strict laws and standards throughout his empire to dominate and control his subjects and this leads to the Chinese cultural identity.

>Han
Chinese Mongoloid peasants rebel and oust their Caucasoid masters and make a peasant their supreme emperor. Thanks to all the technology and culture brought to them by their Western conquerors, the Chinese experience a golden age.

>3 Kingdoms
Constant warfare between a bunch of peasants who want to be emperor. Someone writes a bullshit novel about them 1000 years later making them superheroes.

>Sui then Tang
A northern Turkic people called the Xianbei conquer all of China. Tang is another golden age where Western culture is prevalent. For instance, the beauty standard is imported from Caucasoid Turkic northerners and fat lewd chicks are seen as the ultimate sex symbol.

>Liao then Jin
Northern steppe warriors invade and conquer half of China and enslave the Chinese population.

>Song
The remaining southern half of China.

>Yuan
Founded by Genghis Khan (who had red hair according to historical documents) and his Mongolian descendants. They first conquer Jin, which is already foreign-occupied, and then they conquer Song and rape all the Chinese women. Chinese are relegated to the lowest social class in the multi-ethnic Yuan empire.

>Ming
Chinese peasants rebel and oust the Mongols. They once again make a peasant their supreme emperor.

>Qing
Northern steppe warriors called the Manchu invade and conquer all of China and subjugate the entire population. They force all Chinese men to shave half their head and massacre 30 million Chinese.

>Modern
Japan defeats Qing in a war and liberates the Chinese from 300 years of Manchu domination. Later, Japan weakens the KMT, and Communist peasants take over China.
>>
>>1015649
found it on /pol/. go figure
>>
>The Tang capital was the largest city in the world at its time, the population of the city wards and its suburban countryside reaching 2 million inhabitants.[22] The Tang capital was very cosmopolitan, with ethnicities of Persia, Central Asia, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Tibet, India, and many other places living within. Naturally, with this plethora of different ethnicities living in Chang'an, there were also many different practiced religions, such as Buddhism, Nestorian Christianity, Manichaeism, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Islam being practiced within. With widely open access to China that the Silk Road to the west facilitated, many foreign settlers were able to move east to China, while the city of Chang'an itself had about 25,000 foreigners living within.[143] Exotic green-eyed, blonde-haired Tocharian ladies serving wine in agate and amber cups, singing, and dancing at taverns attracted customers.

Tocharian women sound kinda hot. Would stick my yellow dick in.
>>
>>1015649
>powerful
>red-haired
>caucasoid
>>
File: Scythians shooting bows.jpg (2 MB, 2579x1949) Image search: [Google]
Scythians shooting bows.jpg
2 MB, 2579x1949
>>1011557
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/tokol-0-X.html

Try your hand at the language

kāsu ñom-klyu tsraṣiśśi śäk kälymentwaṃ sätkatär. yärk ynāñmune nam poto tsraṣṣuneyā pukäṣ kälpnāl; yuknāl ymāräk yäsluñcäs, kälpnāl ymāräk yātlune

>The good fame of the strong spreads in the ten directions. Reverence, respect, obeisance, (and) honor (are) to be attained through strength from everyone. To be conquered quickly (are) enemies. To be obtained quickly (is) prosperity

Pic un-related, just like Scythians and Tocharians
>>
>>1015649
>qin shi huang was a caucasoid
Literally we wuz KHANZ
>>
>>1015649
JUST
>>
What are the distinguishable physical differences between a Tocharian and say a Scythian or Sogdian?

Like they all seem to wear pants, tunics with popped collars, etc.
>>
>>1016882
OP here, would like to know that too.
>>
>>1015649
WE
>>
>>1015675
interdaasting!
tocharians invented the chinese restaurant
>>
>>1016882
>arr rook a rike

literally, just PIE clones with diverged languages
>>
>>1013705
>Uighurs who were non-nomadic
i met a few Uighurs and they claim to be Uzbeks with just a different name

Uyghurs like other Turko-Mongols were Mongolian nomadic and had their own Khanate thing like their brethren

they did their domination/genocide rape thingy and erased the Tocharians from history

Just like Uzbeks they still retain some sexy female caucasoid dna
>>
>>1011557
I wish the Turks didn't assimilate them so we'd still have blonde qts to fug in China.
>>
>>1015649
ARYANZ N SHIET
>>
>>1016882
Scythian is a blanket term for various Europoid and non Europoid nomads who had very similar cultures and language.

The Tocharians are a Europoid group that lived in Xinjiang with blonde and red hair, it is believed that the Chinese called them the Yuezhi. We wanted an alliance with the Yuezhi against the eternal roach (xiongnu Turks) but the whities downplayed the sandnigger horde and got defeated. The remaining Yuezhi moved South West and established the Kushan Empire, which included Sogdiana.

Kushans continued friendly contact and trade with the Chinese until their downfall from something I forgot. Some uighurs still have some slight Europoid blood. The radicals think this makes them the original custodians of the land, but they were invaders. Like we are. Lol.
>>
>>1018676
A white cunt made that copypasta. /pol/ is eurocentric in a very stupid way like how the afrocentrics think Egypt had a black majority.
>>
>>1018689
Scythian is specifically Indo-European

the blanket term for mixed nomads who adopted Scythian culture are: Huns, Tatars etc..
>>
>>1015649
this

also
>>1016052
>>
>The historical text Records of the Three Kingdoms described Liu Bei as a man seven chi and five cun tall, with long arms that extended beyond his knees, and ears so large that he could see them.[4]

>The historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong gave a similar description about Liu Bei's physical appearance, but with additional features. It mentioned that Liu Bei was seven chi and five cun tall, with ears so large that they touched his shoulders and that he could even see them, long arms that extended beyond his knees, a fair and handsome face, and lips so red that it seemed as though he wore lipstick.[5]

>Liu Bei
>Mongoloid
>>
Before genetic testing and archeology, Chinese accounts about ancient whites living in the West were considered legendary.

I wonder if somewhere in the future, the existance of white people in Europe will be considered mythical too.
>>
>>1020104
You know many of the descriptions of the RoTK are mythologized right?

like i said on the OP, no /pol/ack autism please, lets keep this a serious discussion.
>>
>>1020146
>The historical text Records of the Three Kingdoms
>>
>>1020139
Hurr durr whites gonna be extinct in the near future ah-so!
>>
>>1020146
>mythologized

it is real

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretching_(body_piercing)#History_and_culture

and various Mongoloid and other people practice it
>>
>>1020209
Liu Bei: We emo now!
>>
>>1018689
So you're saying Sogdians are Tocharians?
But then why do Sogdians speak an Iranic language?
>>
File: kalash.jpg (183 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
kalash.jpg
183 KB, 683x1024
>>1020195
They went almost extinct in their native homeland of Central Asia, though, from the olden days of Bactria and Sogdiana only a few Kalash and Nuristanis remain.

Why can't the same happen in Europe? I can see a few white people surviving in the mountain valles of the Alps and the Carpathians, but on the rest of the continent they will be overrun and become the stuff of legend told at fireplaces, maybe they can become mythical creatures like the pre-Celtic inhabitants of Britain and Ireland became elves and the Thuatha de Dannan.
>>
>>1020195
>indigenous whites of asia replaced and erased

it is the logical conclusion of a historical pattern of indigenous whites being replaced

history repeats

>>996629

lurkmoar
>>
>>1020250
Because Central Asia is the home of constantly moving nomadic people. Of course a race could be """"""""""""""extinct"""""""""""" there because either their ancestors packed bags and migrated elsewhere and those who remained got absorbed by the likes of the Turkics.

Something that Europe isn't.
>>
>>1020250
>Buying into /pol/'s fearmongering
>>
>>1020280
>Because Central Asia is NOW the home of constantly genociding mongoloids. ofcourse the indigenous people either go extinct or seek refuge farther away from the encroaching onslaught. just leave your homeland or become history.

ftfy
>>
>>1020227
Nope, they were not sogdians, but they did conquer Sogdiana as the Kushan empire.

also, to the /pol/acks spewing their dumbassery...please go.
>>
>>1020250

Is this what a europid would classically look like?
>>
File: 8.jpg (125 KB, 467x671) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
125 KB, 467x671
>>1020329
>Now
Tss. The Indo-Iranian/Indo-European Steppe Nomads were massacring & raiding cunts themselves. The Scythians were ousted from their homelands by the Sarmatai and some of them had to live like Hellenic Kings along the Black Sea Coast. They sacked Urartu, Persians hated them, and Chinese called them barbarians and associated red-hair with being a barbarous nigger.

Not to mention the likes of the Turkics managed to move in because every Indo-Iranian fuckwad was moving southwards and creating states in what is now Northern India/Afghanistan/Tajikistan/Western China.
>>
>>1020280
this. those indigenous whites simply got absorbed by the more powerful group. not through violence or genocide as poltards would have you believe.

it was a peaceful and calm merger. nothing even close to genocide.

and remember the eurasian steppe was populated by neanderthals before you white people replaced them.
the steppe is constantly moving and changing.

compare the situation to the indigenous manchu/yakuts of east asian steppe who maintained existence in the steppe for eons and still remain undisturbed
>>
>>1020390
>before you white people replaced them.

>you

>cosplaying countries

When was the last time you left your house?
>>
File: 1332683192004.jpg (82 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1332683192004.jpg
82 KB, 500x600
>>1020390
>it was a peaceful and calm merger. nothing even close to genocide.
>>
File: 42_foreign.jpg (21 KB, 226x500) Image search: [Google]
42_foreign.jpg
21 KB, 226x500
>>1020340
So is this swagmaster a Sogdian? Tocharian from the same area? Scythian? Kushan?

I have a feeling time period plays a part in who would be depicted too.
>>
>>1020375
if the Indo-Iranians were genociding people as you say, then there would not have been any mongoloid (or any other race) left in eurasia to threaten or eradicate them

but the facts show contrary to your bullshit, that all the "genocided" races now exist in newly acquired lands, while the "aggressors" simply vanished
>>
>>1020451
>no Uratu
>No existing Pre Iranian culture
>No BMAC
Look Turks ended up genociding Indo Aryans from Central Asia with the exception of Uyghurs, Tajiks and Uzbeks, but stop claiming that Scythians and Iranians didn't do the same. That's just what Central Asia does, it's shitty for the development of strong settled societies and favors nomadic ones instead. Once one people move in, the previous inhabitants move out or get assimilated/genocided.
>>
File: 084-03.jpg (94 KB, 322x242) Image search: [Google]
084-03.jpg
94 KB, 322x242
>>1020451
>then there would not have been any mongoloid (or any other race) left in eurasia to threaten or eradicate them
>Implying Assyrians, Persians and Chinese, and non Indo-whatever Nomads are pushovers.

They did cause the disappearance of Urartu and the Greek Petty Kingdoms in what is now Ferghana.

Not to mention "genocide" is a very inaccurate term. As with Turkics in the Middle East later on, the Indo Iranians who migrated and established Kingdoms of their own like in Southern Central Asia tended to incorporate themselves into the local culture.
>>
>>1020375
First you complain that they were raiding and massacring cunts, then you complain when they stop doing that and finally settle down into states.

What the fuck mang.
>>
>>1020514
He mad.
>>
>>1020514
>You can't do both
Niggers massacred other people to make a point and then include their shit to their Kingdoms for god knows how long.

Look at the fucking Mongols. Massacred Chinks, Muslims? Check. Settled down and became Chinese style Emperors or Iranic Shahs? Fucking Check.

Normans massacring Saxons? Check. Settling down and creating the Kingdom of England? Check

Can't you into history?
>>
>>1020534
I'm not saying you can't to both, I'm saying it's retarded to complain about both.

Can't you into logic?
>>
>>1020539
You're the one who's complaining you idiot.
>HURDURR MUH WHITE ANCESTORS OF THE STEPPES WERE EXTINCT
>No they weren't. They just moved out and the ones left were absorbed by new tenants in Central Asia.
>HURR BECAUSE THOSE GENOCIDING MONGOLOIDS
>Nigga it was always home to violent Nomad peoples. The Indo-Iranian nomads were such people.
And this part is funny
>INDO-IRANIANS DINDU NUFFIN WRONG, OR ELSE THEY WOULDVE WIPED OUT EVERYONE.
>Dude, these guys did trouble a lot of people and kingdoms disappeared because of them but other people weren't pushovers.

You're the one insisting that a great wrong was done to Indo-Iranians and trying to justify this view while I was just talking about a very dynamic region filled with migrating nomads in which the Indo-whatever were but a part of.

Holy shit I'm fucking done with you.
>>
>>1020580
None of that is me, bruh.
But again, you can't damn them if they do and damn them if they don't. Makes you look dumb.
>>
>>1020432
Considering all these cultures influenced eachother, could be any of them really.
>>
>>1020375
indeed eurasia would have remained Scythian from Hungary to Manchuria, if the Scythians were the genocidal maniacs you make them out to be

fact is the IE had technological advantages over the reindeer herding mongoloids.

if IE used their technological advantages (wheels, horse, chariot, steel, composite bow) by applying a genocidal policy toward the mongolid reindeer hunters, there would be no mongolid survivors in eurasia today. there would infact be no race in eurasia beside the IE race, if that was infact the case.

instead the IE policy was tolerant towards mongoloids and adopted lone mongoloids into the IE nomad fold, these mongoloids learned the ways of their IE hosts and adopted IE technology and culture.

once the mongoloid genetic directive felt their hosts were no longer needed, they exterminated their hosts/mentors with the tools that they got from them.

but please go ahead and rewrite history its not like turko-mongols are known for slaughtering and exterminating countless millions
>>
>>1021000
See >>1020580 Particularly the last line.

Thanks.
>>
>>1020714
I guess it might just be a generic "foreigner".

I mean, if Greeks depicted pretty much any barbarian with a Phrygian cap and trousers, I don't see why the Chinese wouldn't do something similar.
>>
>>1020473
>>1020375
>>1020511

>Urartu
>genocided by Scythians

Urartu maintained its independence and power, going through a mere dynastic change, as a local Armenian dynasty (later to be called the Orontids) overthrew the ruling family with the help of the Median army. Ancient sources support the latter version: Xenophon, for example, states that Armenia, ruled by an Orontid king, was not conquered until the reign of Median king Astyages (585– 550 BC) – long after Median invasion of the late 7th century BC.

Scythians/Tocharians/Parthians/Bactrians did not engage in genocide that is a bucket-on-head mongoloid thing that occurs when mongols acquire neat western gadgets

Scythians/Tocharians/Parthians/Bactrians/Medes/Sogdians/Andronovo traded and conquered as typical as any other ancient IE civilization much like the Greeks, Armenians, Hittites, Persians, Minoans and other IE people but none of them engaged in genocide of an entire race of millions, that is a exclusively mongoloid thing
>>
>>1021085
>Everyone was Mongols :DDDD
Yes, Non-Indo Whatever were genocidal maniacs. Truly, no persian nor arab today survive in the middle east and everyone there is Turkic following the great seljuk invasions.

Oh wait.
>>
>>1020580
>equating IE conquering with genocidal mongoloid
>Alexander the Great is a genocidal maniac on par with Ghengis Khan
>Cyrus on par with genocidal maniac Timurlane
>Scythian/Tocharians/Hittites/Medes conquering on par with mongoloids genocidal pathology
>>
>>1021107
>no persian nor arab today survive in the middle east and everyone there is Turkic following the great seljuk invasions.

what is ex-aryan kazakstan/uzbekistan/turkmenistan/afghanistan/turkestan/persia/azerbaijan/turkey persia turned into a wasteland inhabited by bowlegged pinhole eyes at worst and elliot rodgerses at best
>>
Jesus fuck guys, i thought i've told you guys...

NO AUTISM.

Bring this racial and genocide bullshit back to /pol/, lets please go back to discussing the unique and interesting Tocharian culture please.
>>
Oh wow this thread got flooded with /pol/tier nonsense. Where the fuck are the mods?
>>
>>1021133
>IE is a solid identity
LoL.
>>1021149
>Aryan
This is where your argument dies.
>>
>>1021193
>>1021200
Stop whining you pussy.
>>
>>1021207

More like you stop being a retarded, autistic stormfag, seriously i made this thread so we could discuss tocharian culture, not babble about /pol/ tier bullshit.
>>
File: 1460479703511.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460479703511.jpg
132 KB, 1280x720
>>1021207
Fuck up cunt you are blatantly drawing away from the historicity of Tocharians and turning it into a european ethnicity circle jerk.
>>
>>1015649

WE WERE RULERS AND SUCH
>>
>>1021245
but how will his pasty pimply ass feel any better about itself unless it jumps through hoops to relate to an ancient exotic and almost inextant civilization?
>>
>>1021628
>hurr durr the ethnic makeup of asia has always been the same for the past 10,000 years

>sob sniffle stop challenging the status quo because it'll hurt my pride
>>
Going back to the topic, any good depictions of Tocharians in art, literature or maybe even popular culture?
>>
>>1021671
no idea what you're rambling about but your european ass doesn't have jack to do with the tocharians m9
>>
>>1016344

WAKE ME UP
>>
>>1020250

There are still plenty of caucasoid white people in Central Asia and the Middle East. You just don't think they are white because they're Muslims.
>>
>>1022774
>>1021149
>>1021133

>plenty of mongol rape babies people still left in Central Asia and the Middle East

the reason why Tocharians vanished:

Mongoloid raids and invasions as some of the deadliest conflicts in human history.

Large areas of Asia were seriously depopulated,[6] as every city, village or town was subject to destruction. Each soldier was required to execute a certain number of persons, with the number varying according to circumstances. For example, after the conquest of Urgench, each Mongol warrior – in an army group that might have consisted of two tumens (units of 10,000) – was required to execute 100 people [7].

Mongoloid invasions induced population extermination on a scale never seen before particularly in Central Asia and eastern Europe.
>>
>>1023333

Mongol conquests anhilated 70,000,000+ 1206–1324 Eurasia
Conquests of Tamerlane anhilated 20,000,000+ 1370–1405 Eurasia
Turko-Mongoloid conquests anhilated 300,000,000+ 200-1920 Eurasia

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat0.htm#Mongolic
>>
>>1023343
>>1023333
now that we know why the Tocharians and related IE groups (Sogdians, Bactrians, Parthians, Scythians etc..) vanished

can we ignore the eternal roach and discuss

>>1021813
>>
>>1023391
Man can you imagine the stank of the mongols in all of human history?

I would imagine a mongol rider raping a village girl would have a combination of swamp ass, crotch rot, barn animal smell and shit all rolled up into one messy hot stinking sex room

Truly that smell would be familier with every human before modern plumbing
>>
>>1023391
Sogdians and Bactrians just became Afghans you moron.
>>
>>1021245
Indo-whatever is a very poisoned topic thanks to Nazis and /pol/tards

You will never have a sane discussion about these people that doesnt involve MUH RACE WARS or X JUST GENOCIDED Y AND THEY DISAPPEAR.

The fact that some idiots here believe that the Scythians were MUH MASTER RACE THAT COULD WIPE OUT ERRYONE is fucking ludicrous
>>
File: sogdianafgan.jpg (42 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
sogdianafgan.jpg
42 KB, 480x720
>>1023415
>Mongols just became Afghans
ftfy
>>
>>1023425
its genocide-deniers on the same mongoloid roach level as armenian-genocide deniers
>>
>>1021000
>its not like turko-mongols are known for slaughtering and exterminating countless millions

b-but they are

see >>1023333
>>
File: IMG_9110.jpg (63 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9110.jpg
63 KB, 640x427
>>1023481
>Pick an Asiatic looking kid out of the genetic dogpile that is Afghanistan thanks to shitloads
>DEY GENOSYD DEM
We can play that game if you like.
>>1023494
>People just genocided each other in Central Asia.
>Did nothing else, didn't migrate or get absorbed in large empires or the latter Turkic-ruled states. Just combed Central Asia with a fine tooth combed and weeded Indo-Europeans out.
You people are really comical

On one hand, we have THE MONGOLOIDS GENOCIDED THE ARYANS

And on the other, you have GENGHIZ KHAN HAS RED HAIR AND COLOURED EYES. PURE BLOOD INDO-EUROPEAN KING.

Please pick a side so people could properly ridicule you already.
>>
>>1023527
>You people are really comical

>You people

Get off the internet.
>>
File: bactrianafgan.gif (61 KB, 400x371) Image search: [Google]
bactrianafgan.gif
61 KB, 400x371
>>1023527
>mongoloid group remains undisturbed in east Asian steppe
>mongoloid group expands west to IE homeland
>mongoloid group depopulates IE homeland, killing countless millions
>mongoloid group acquires IE territory
>not genocide

fuck off roach

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/29050-Genocide-history-of-Indo-European-whites-in-Central-Asia-by-Mongols-Asians
>>
>>1022774
>be mongoloid roach
>pillage, rape and murder my way to Tocharia and IE lands from Mongolia
>get raped by camels on my way there and become sandnigger-mongoloid mudslimes
>arrive in Tocharia
>conquer villagers and peasants
>less than 1% of the country retains non-pinhole, round eyes and red hair
WE IZ NON-GENOCIDAL NOW
>>
>>1013705
Know this, the Uyghurs themselves were a turkish tribe from east asia, who encroached on Tocharian land (then known as the Kushan empire). The downfall of the Tocharians were not caused by the Chinese, but by the Uyghur turks, who once they conquered all of the Kushan empire, they mass slaughtered, raped, any Tocharians they found. Thus, the Uyghurs do not have any legitimate claim to call themselves the children of the Tocharians, as they were the turkish tribes who themselves massacred the indo european inhabitants of the area. The reason some Uyghur may look very caucasian is due to the fact that the surviving Tocharians had no choice but to assimilate, and many Tocharian women were taken as harem wives for the muslim liberators.
>>
>>1024143
>(then known as the Kushan empire)
Moron.

We don't know if the Yuezhi who founded the Kushan Empire were Tocharians. They could be Indo-Iranian.
>>
>>1024143
>>1024152
Morons both of you.

The Kushans were gone before the Uyghurs came to the Tarim. The Kushans left what is now Western China, BTFO the Greco-Bactrians in what is now Afghanistan, and expanded into Northern Hindustan.

The Kushans then declined in 300's AD and collapsed due to the Hepthalites and other local powers. The Tarim Basin, once a partof the Kushan Empire, was just left hanging as the area was divided between a bunch of City States leeching off the Trade Routes. The most powerful of these being the Kingdom of Khotan.

In the 700's AD, these guys accepted the suzerainity of the Táng Dynasty, who was marching Westwards. The T'ang however lost the Battle of Talas and was forced to halt its westward march. Due to internal troubles the Táng Garrisons in the Tarim retreated to defend the Empire. Khotan and the Tarim city states were left to fend for themselves in an alliance.

Then came the Muslim Turkics and along with them, Uyghurs. Some 500 years AFTER the Kushans disappeared.
>>
>>1024188

retards all of you

Tocharians survived until the 7th century, when they finally succumbed to the grand Turkic invasions, this time from the collapsing Uyghur Khaganate

also, Yuezhi/Kushan/Sogdian/Tocharian were multilingual as most dwellers of the silk road were

now get the fuck outta here ya mongs
>>
>>1024227
so much this

Kushan regional languages:
Gandhari, Sogdian, Chorasmian, Tocharian, Saka dialects, Prakrit
The Uyghur Empire was originally located in Mongolia and destroyed the Tocharian tribes in Xinjiang. Tocharians such as Kroran have been shown by archaeological findings to appear phenotypically similar to northern Europeans, whereas the Orkhon Uyghur people were clearly Mongolians.

the Uyghurs' genetic structure is more similar to East Asians than to Europeans, in contrast to the reports by Xu and Jin, whose work may have been affected by their sparse population coverage.
>>
>>1024152

scholars have linked the Tocharians with the Afanasevo culture of eastern Siberia (c. 3500 – 2500 BC), the Tarim mummies (c. 1800 BC) and the Yuezhi of Chinese records, most of whom migrated from western Gansu to Bactria in the 2nd century BC and then later to the northwestern Indian subcontinent where they founded the Kushan Empire.

fuck off fucktard
>>
>>1024227
>The Kushan
Wasn't even talking of the Tocharians but the Kushan fucktard. A state that died off in the 300's AD.
>>1024282
>scholars have linked the Tocharians with the Afanasevo culture of eastern Siberia (c. 3500 – 2500 BC), the Tarim mummies (c. 1800 BC) and the Yuezhi of Chinese records

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuezhi#Name
"The relationship between the Yuezhi and other Indo-European peoples who lived in China and Central Asia is often unclear. The Kushans, a people who were among the conquerors of the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom during the 2nd century BCE,[10] are widely believed to have originated as a dynastic clan or tribe of the Yuezhi.[11][12] Some inhabitants of Bactria were known as Tukhāra (Sanskrit) or Tókharoi (Τοχάριοι; Greek) – these names became associated with the Kushans and also, consequently, with the Yuezhi. Manuscripts dating from the 6th to 8th centuries CE, and written in two hitherto-unknown centum-type, non-Iranian languages, were discovered by scholars more than a millennium later in the northern Tarim Basin. Assuming that the authors were Tókharoi, Friedrich W. K. Müller referred to these languages as "Tocharian", and this became the common name for both the languages of the Tarim manuscripts and the people who produced them.[13][14]."
"Most historians now reject the identification of the Tókharoi (Kushans/Yuezhi) of Bactria with the Tocharians of the Tarim, because the Tókharoi are not known to have spoken any languages other than Bactrian (a satem-type, Iranian language)."
>>
>>1024282
>>1024300
"Other scholars have suggested, however, that the Kushan Yuezhi may be an example of an invading or colonising elite adopting a local language. That is, they did not necessarily speak Bactrian before arriving in Bactria, and they may previously have spoken the Tocharian languages of the Tarim.[15][16] In support of this claim, Christopher Beckwith argues that the character 月, usually read as Old Chinese *ŋʷjat > Mod. yuè,[17] could have been pronounced in an archaic northwestern dialect as *tokwar or *togwar, a form that resembles the Bactrian name Toχοαρ (Toχwar ~ Tuχwar) and the medieval form Toχar ~ Toχâr.[18][19] Likewise, Craig Benjamin in The Cambridge World History (Vol. IV), (2015), points out that "the problem of identifying the Yuezhi ... intersects history and language, since they may have spoken the centum Indo-European language variant of Tokharian."

tl;dr We don't know for sure.

Saying the Yuezhi were Tocharians is "HUNS WERE TURKS/XIONGNU" tier retarded.
>>
>>1011557
Jesus this fucking thread.

I always wonder about White Supremacists shilling the fuck out of Scythians and other Indo-Iranian Nomads. "Congratulations, your ancestors were murdering steppeniggers hated by civilized peoples."

Literally what is there to be proud of?
>>
>>1024300
>>1024304

see >>1024269

Kushan regional languages:
Gandhari, Sogdian, Chorasmian, Tocharian, Saka dialects, Prakrit

Tocharistan regional languages:
Tocharian, Sogdian, Bactrian, Saka dialects

Sogdiana regional languages:
Sogdian, Bactrian, Tocharian, Saka dialects
>>
>>1024300
Following the settlement of the Yuezhi (referred to by the Greeks as Tókharoi), the general area of Bactria came to be called Tokharistan. The territory of Tokharistan was identical with Kushan Bactria, including the areas of Surkhandarya, Southern Tajikistan and Northern Afghanistan.

The first literary mentions of Tokharistan appear at the end of the 4th century in Chinese Buddhist sources (the Vibhasa-sastra). However, the first mention of the Tókharoi appears much earlier, in the 1st century BCE, when Strabo mentions that "the Tókharoi, together with the Assianis, Passianis and Sakaraulis, took part in the destruction of the Greco-Bactrian kingdom" in the second half of the 2nd century BC. Ptolemy also mentions a large Tokharian tribe in Bactria, describing the central role of the Tokharians among other tribes in Bactria. (Through an accident of naming, the term "Tocharian" now commonly refers to a branch of Indo-European languages spoken in the Tarim Basin between the 3rd and 9th centuries AD, and quite distinct from the Bactrian language spoken by the Tókharoi.)
>>
>>1024314
>>1024314
>syka blyat xD Scythian are worse the chinggis

Scythian king replied;

"This is my way, Persian. I never fear men or fly from them. I have not done so in times past, nor do I now fly from thee. There is nothing new or strange in what I do; I only follow my common mode of life in peaceful years. Now I will tell thee why I do not at once join battle with thee. We Scythians have neither towns nor cultivated lands, which might induce us, through fear of their being taken or ravaged, to be in a hurry to fight with you. If, however, you must needs to come to blows with us speedily, look, you now there are our fathers' tombs'[note 1] - seek them out, and attempt to meddle with them. Till ye do this, be sure we shall not join battle, unless it pleases us. This is my answer to the challenge to fight. As for lords, I acknowledge only Jove, my ancestor,[note 2] and Hestia, the Scythian queen. "Earth and water", the tribute thou askedst, I do not send, but thou shalt receive soon receive more suitable gifts. Last of all, in return for thy calling thyself my lord, I say to thee, "Go fuck yourself mong".
>>
>>1024188
>The Kushans then declined in 300's AD
>Then came the Muslim Turkics and along with them, Uyghurs. Some 500 years AFTER the Kushans disappeared.

NOPE

it goes like this:
Kushan succumbed to the Turko-Mongols aka the Rouran (proto-Mongols/Turkics aka proto-Uyghurs)
leading to the mongoiloid Rouran rule over former Kushan

THEN the Qin take over

THEN Hepthalites remove the Qin from power

THEN around 550ce the Turkic/Göktürk Khanate gain control of the territory

get your shit together fucktard!
>>
>>1025142
thanks for clarification.

tl;dr indigenous IE Kushans, Tocharians, Ayylmao, [insert favorite erased indigenous IE group] what have you, all got KHAN'd
>>
>>1025142
cool, that settles that!

any1 got info on King Yule?

Tocharian King?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Mural_with_Ban_Chao_%26_King_Yule_%28Zhong%29_of_Kashgar%2C_73_CE.jpg/200px-Mural_with_Ban_Chao_%26_King_Yule_%28Zhong%29_of_Kashgar%2C_73_CE.jpg
>>
>>1025142

>IE Europeans invented silk!

Seres wasa confederacy of Tocharian people, who invented skill and traded it with the Indians, the Chinese and, through the Parthians and later the Sassanid Persians, the Romans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serica

Kucha was an ancient IE Buddhist kingdom located on the branch of the Silk Road

The language of the Kucha, as evidenced by surviving manuscripts and inscriptions, was Kuśiññe (Kushine) also known as Tocharian B or East Tocharian, an Indo-European language. Later, under the Uighur domination, the Kingdom of Kucha gradually became Turkic speaking, and the indigenous people vanished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kucha

The earliest known residents in Loulan, as early as 1800 BCE, were a sub-group of the Tocharians – a little-known Indo-European people of the Tarim Basin.

Loulan's first known language is usually known as "Tocharian C".[25] The language has been partially reconstructed from 150 loan words and proper names used subsequently in a local dialect of Prakrit, which had become the main language of Loulan by the 3rd Century CE. Loulan Prakrit, which was written in Kharoshthi scripts, was most likely introduced by Gandharan migrants from the Kushan Empire.[26]

Gandharan migrants are also believed to have also introduced Buddhism to Loulan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loulan_Kingdom

Phryni were an ancient people of eastern Central Asia, probably located in the eastern part of the Tarim Basin, in an area connected to that of the Seres and the Tocharians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phryni
Subashi shows Central Asian men in long tunics, reminiscent of other friezes which have been called Tocharian.

The "Witch of Subashi" is another famous archaeological artifact, the mummy of a woman with a huge pointed hat, of early Caucasian populations who lived in the region around the beginning of our era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subashi_%28lost_city%29
>>
>>1025868

Gumo Kingdom of Tocharians It is said to have produced copper, iron and orpiment.
"native products, climate, temperament of the people, customs, written language and law are the same as in Kucha Kingdom of Tocharians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aksu,_Xinjiang
Gushi Kingdom of Tocharians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gushi_culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana_Cemetery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaochang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpan_water_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaohe_Ruins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Qocho
Arshi Kingdom of Tocharians

The earliest known inhabitants of the area were an Indo-European people who apparently referred to themselves and the city as Ārśi (pronounced "Arshi"). Their language, since it was rediscovered in the early 20th century, has been known as "Tocharian A"

tl;dr all IE KHAN'd
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wusun
>>
>>1025868
>silk, steel, wheel, chariot, composite bow, domesticated the horse, farming techniques, equestrianism

is there anything that did the Tocharians and IE not invent?
>>
>>1025868
How is this evidence that the sericulture originated from Indo Europeans?
>>
>>1028943
>white mulberry native to central Asia (area inhabited by Tocharians)
>white mullberry leaves are used to produce silk
>Serica is the Kingdom of Tocharians
>Serica is where white mullberry grows
>Serica is the land where silk comes from (where it was originally produced on a large scale)
>Serica attracted many traders from China, India, Persia, Greece etc
>Serica/Tocharians got KHAN'd in ancient times
>silk now and forever associated with Chinese

today white mullberry is naturalized throughout the world, but originated in central asia
>>
>>1029121
>KHAN'd Tocharian kingdoms

Arshi Kingdom of Tocharians

The earliest known inhabitants of the area were an Indo-European people who apparently referred to themselves and the city as Ārśi (pronounced "Arshi"). Their language, since it was rediscovered in the early 20th century, has been known as "Tocharian A"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karasahr

Keriya Kingdom of Tocharians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keriya_Town

Kingdom of Tashkurghan/Puli/Varshadeh of Tocharians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashkurgan_Town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Charklik
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruoqiang_County
Scytho Kingdom of Shule/Kashgaria

the Shule area was once the home to a Xiyu oasis civilisation, the Shule Kingdom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiyu

Kashgar capital of Shule Kingdom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashgar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shule_County
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karghilik
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_%28ancient_China%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guma,_Pishan_County
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashgar_Prefecture
>>
>>1011610
what about the Pazyryk culture?
>>
>>1011823
>Hence chinese civilization owes a lot to these early indoeuropeans.
>owes a lot to these early indoeuropeans.
>owes a lot
>owes

Are we keeping score?
>>
>>1015649
>A powerful red-haired Caucasoid from the Western frontier
WE WUZ EMPRAHS N SHEIT
>>
File: ZhangQianTravel.jpg (53 KB, 672x504) Image search: [Google]
ZhangQianTravel.jpg
53 KB, 672x504
Ive been doing a lot of reading about the domino effect of westwards movement of the tocharoi and other indoeuropeans, which appears to have been instigated by the expulsion from china of the xiongnu, whi check drove the indoeuropean kangju, wusun, and yuezhi/tocharoi out of their original homes of gansu, the tarim, taklamakan and dzhunggaria.

This is claimed to have eventually lead to scythian/Alan/hephthalite invasion of persia, india, and europe, and culminated in the Germamic migration oeriod that sacked Rome.

Ive written most up here, if anyone is interested:
>>1029854
>>
>>1030274
thanks, pretty interesting read on how minor local conflicts lead to permanent world changing events.

all of this xiongnu stuff combined it would not be a stretch to call it a World War (pre-modern)

not even taking to account the mongol world war an eon later
>>
>>1011823
WE WUZ CHINKZ N SHIT
>>
>>1029936
just give props where props is due
bruh
>>
>>1029121
>white mulberry native to central Asia (area inhabited by Tocharians)
>today white mullberry is naturalized throughout the world, but originated in central asia
Source?

There's archaeological evidence of Chinese sericulture in the neolithic.
>>
>>1031230
> It is native to Central Asia and was introduced to Europe and naturalized elsewhere

SUMMARY
FAMILY: Moraceae
HABITAT: Central Asia
FLOWERING: Spring
PART USED: Bark, leaves and fruit
CASTILIAN: Morera blanca
CATALAN: Morera de cucs
BASQUE: Masustabe, parra
GALICIAN: Moreira branca

http://www.mtplantas.com/eng/plants/morera.htm

enjoy your mental expansion
>>
>>1031275
>The white mulberry is native to eastern and central China

https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html

I can cherry pick all day,do you have a archaeological evidence of Central Asian agriculture?
>>
>>1031497
sericulture
>>
>>1031497
>what was then Tocharian is now China

what else is new?

you already won chang
you got the silk, the chariot, the world!
now go and conquer
>>
>>1031726

>During the Warring States period (5th to 3rd centuries BCE) the Chinese also turned to the Yuezhi for the supply of good horses. Moreover, the Yuezhi supplied the Qin Empire with crucial military mounts.[37] The Yuezhi maintained a profitable trade of horses and cattle for Chinese silk, which they sold on to their neighbours. Thus the Yuezhi began the Silk Road trade, acting as intermediaries between China and Central Asia.[38]

Remind me how the Tocharians, who were merchant intermediaries, invented silk.
>>
>>1031726

Silk fabric was first developed in ancient China.[10][11] The earliest example of silk fabric is from 3630 BC, and it was used as wrapping for the body of a child from a Yangshao site in Qingtaicun at Xingyang, Henan.[10][12]

Your anti-Chinese revisionism is pathetic.
>>
>>1031726

And if you're going to claim that that was Indo-Europeans too, then you'll do well to know that Henan is at the center of historical Chinese civilization, and is, indeed, considered to be the birthplace of Chinese culture.
>>
>>1031890
>sinocentric revisionism
the land where white mullberry is native to was the land of tocharians
the chinese now control this land

see
>>1029121
>>
>>1031935
>>1031922
the prehistoric Yangsha, Longsha cultures were active in what is now northern Henan since the Neolithic Era. Their main food/crop was millet (common and fox), wheat (from western Asia and Tanscaucasia), which leads to westerners aka IE/Caucasians spreading their stuff to Chinese.

>inb4 muh fox millet
that is from india
>>
>>1033506

Holy shit, you're calling me a revisionist while claiming the Tocharians invented silk? Show me evidence of silk production by Tocharians in archeological sites that are demonstrably Tocharian or Indo-European. I can show you plenty of such examples from earliest antiquity in the heartland of the Chinese speaking world.
>>
>>1033555

The wild antecedent of foxtail millet has been securely identified as Setaria viridis, which is interfertile with foxtail millet; wild or weedy forms of foxtail millet also exist. Zohary and Hopf note that the primary difference between the wild and cultivated forms is "their seed dispersal biology. Wild and weedy forms shatter their seed while the cultivars retain them."[6] The earliest evidence of the cultivation of this grain comes from the Peiligang culture of China, which also cultivated the common millet, but foxtail millet became the predominant grain only with the Yangshao culture.[6]
>>
>>1033506

I find it funny that you're accusing me of "sinocentric revisionism" while peddling the most laughable, demonstably false eurocentric pseudohistory that no actual expert in the field, be they European, Japanese, or Chinese, could possibly take seriously.
>>
>>1033751
i agree

common millet is transcaucasian
wheat is west asian
foxtail (from India) used in China early from trade

all these foreign crops appeared in ancient China hence we question the sinocentric world view

Map of the world showing centers of origin of agriculture and its spread in prehistory: the Fertile Crescent (11,000 BP), the Yangtze and Yellow River basins (9,000 BP) and the New Guinea Highlands (9,000–6,000 BP), Central Mexico (5,000–4,000 BP), Northern South America (5,000–4,000 BP), sub-Saharan Africa (5,000–4,000 BP, exact location unknown), eastern North America (4,000–3,000 BP).

>the Fertile Crescent (11,000 BP)
>spread all over world
>arrived in the Yangtze and Yellow River basins (9,000 BP) and the New Guinea Highlands (9,000–6,000 BP)
>Fertile crescent 2000+ years before
>>
>>1033810

Foxtail is a foreign crop despite first being cultivated in China earlier than anywhere else in the world? Okay. I don't even deny that agriculture possibly spread from the Fertile Crescent (although most scholars still believe that it evolved independently in several places). What's annoying is your insistence on things, like the Tocharians inventing sericulture, that are so ridiculously wrong that you will not find a trace of it in serious scholarship.
>>
>>1033822
>>1033745
>>1033760
stop it chang, people on this tocharian silk weaving image board are starting to question your claims of supreme iq

two lands to the east of the Syr-Darya (Jaxartes) River that were part of the Bactrian empire: Phryni & Seres.

Strabo in Geographia 11.11.1 states, "Apollodorus (of Artemita, a Hellenic writer of the 1st century BCE) in short says that Bactriana is the ornament of all Ariana. They extended their empire even as far as the Seres and Phryni."

> part of the Bactrian empire: Phryni & Seres.
> part of the Bactrian empire: Phryni & Seres.

Seres (Serica) produced was silk and Seres means 'of silk' in Latin and Greek. The fabric was so noteworthy so as to find mention as a fabric worn by Cleopatra

Pliny and Ptolemy states Seres, "within the confines of Bactria" were known for "silk of remarkable quality.

Pliny the Elder states: The first people that are known of here are the Seres, so famous for the silk that is found in their mullberry tree forests. After steeping it in water, they comb off a white down that adheres to the leaves; and then to the females of our part of the world they give the twofold task of unravelling their textures, and of weaving the threads afresh (this describes silk thread extraction). So manifold is the labour, and so distant are the regions which are thus ransacked to supply a dress through which our ladies may in public display their charms.
>>
>>1033841

Has it occurred to you that there is no evidence of sericulture in Central Asia before the Chinese introduced it to Khotan? Has it occurred to you that mulberry trees also grow in East Asia (yes, species can spread naturally beyond there original homeland)? Has it occurred to you that every serious scholar acknowledges that the Romans did not trade silk with the Chinese directly, but rather dealt with Parthian/Tocharian/Sogdian/Bactrian middlemen, thus leading to confusion among ancient writers, who, after all, were extremely inaccurate in a lot of other things?
>>
>>1033841

Also, "even as far as" means "borders"--not "part of." Indeed, the particular Greek word that Strabo uses in that passage, μέχρι, is better translated as "until."

You're really grasping at straws.
>>
>>1033858
>Ptolemy
>Roman

get off this board!!
>>
>>1033865
>Ptolemy

Ptolemy actually held Roman citizenship, lol.
>>
>>1033841

Also, where the fuck did I claim that Chinese people have superior IQ? Stop projecting. It's actually incredibly pathetic. With each of your sad attempts at belittling the achievements of other people, I lose more hope for the West, which I love and have studied (I was obsessed with Roman history when I was younger and even learned Latin and a bit of Greek).
>>
>>1033810

There have been plenty of debates on the origins of the domesticated rice. Genetic evidence published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) shows that all forms of Asian rice, both indica and japonica, spring from a single domestication that occurred 8,200–13,500 years ago in China of the wild rice Oryza rufipogon.[5] A 2012 study published in Nature, through a map of rice genome variation, indicated that the domestication of rice occurred in the Pearl River valley region of China based on the genetic evidence. From East Asia, rice was spread to South and Southeast Asia.[6] Before this research, the commonly accepted view, based on archaeological evidence, is that rice was first domesticated in the region of the Yangtze River valley in China.[40][41]time of the Greeks. Chinese records of rice cultivation go back 4,000 years. In classical Chinese the words for agriculture and for rice culture are synonymous, indicating that rice was already the staple crop at the time the language was taking form...
>>
>>1033874
>>1033888
look we are discussing long lost and erased history of an erased people

we know very little because of various genocides, wars and shit

we have persian sources of tocharian sericulture bro

anyway when we say chinese today we are ignorant of the non-Han origins:

for instance we covered tocharian silk and shit
but another example is Noodle

Noodle: In 2002,[85] an archaeological excavation at the Lajia site of the Qijia culture revealed 4,000-year-old noodles made of millet

>Qijia culture region of Gansu (centered in Lanzhou)
>The Yuezhi (Indo-European) originally lived in Gansu and lasted until around 100 BCE, when they finally succumbed to Xiongnu (Turko-Mongoloids) and were forced to emigrate.
>Siberian and Central Asian cultures, in particular with the Seima-Turbino complex.
>domesticted horses found at many Qijia sites, of Indo-European culture
>The Qijia culture and Majiayao culture took root in Gansu from 3100 BC
>>
>>1033937

Link to those Persian sources? Even if the Tocharians did cultivate silk, it would have been because the Chinese, who at various points ruled the region, introduced it to them, especially since those Persian sources would have mentioned these things centuries after the birth of sericulture in East Asia (the Persians didn't start wriiting until the 6th century BC, but I doubt these sources are that old). Again, the oldest archeological evidence of sericulture AND the oldest literary references to sericulture come from the ethnic Chinese heartland. You'd have to be blind not to see that sericulture originated in Chinese civilization.

On noodles:

In 2005, a team of archaeologists working in the People's Republic of China reported finding an earthenware bowl that contained foxtail millet and broomcorn millet.[4] noodles at the Lajia archaeological site, arguably hailing from the late neolithic period. But this claim was disputed by later research,[5] which suggested that noodles simply cannot be produced from millet, a cereal that lacks gluten, a necessary protein.[6]
The earliest written record of noodles is found in a book dated to the Eastern Han period (25–220).[3] Noodles, often made from wheat dough, became a staple food for people of the Han Dynasty (206 BCE - 220 CE).[7] During the Tang Dynasty, the noodles were first cut into strips, and in the Yuan Dynasty, the making of dried noodles began.
>>
>>1033937

Also, the Yuezhi aren't actually an erased people. We always knew that they existed because Chinese sources noted their presence and chronicled their history. What was surprising about it is that while most scholars had assumed that the Yuezhi were an Iranic people, the discovery of the Tocharian language showed that the Yuezhi probably spoke a previously unknown non-Iranic primary branch of the Indo-European languages. The discovery of a new Indo-European linguistic branch, like Celtic or Germanic, is quite a big development in linguistics. That, and the Tarim Basin mummies are quite well preserved, and ancient mummies are always exciting.
>>
>>1021085

>none of them engaged in genocide of an entire race of millions, that is a exclusively mongoloid thing

I guess the European conquest of the Americas and the Holocaust never happened.

Also, Minoans are IEs now.
>>
>>1033962

The Shahnameh of Ferdowsi placed Serica (Kingdom of Silk) to the east of Airan and also to the east of Sugd east of the Syr-Darya (Jaxartes) River and part of Balkh (Bactria).
The oldest known example of silk outside Serica comes from the hair of a 21st Dynasty (around 1000 BC) Caucasoid female
mummy from Dar el Medina.
Silk has also been found in the Scythian nomad tombs at Pazyryk in the Altai, dating from the fifth to the third centuries BC (figure 4), and even in Celtic tombs of the La Tène culture, 21 in sites as far apart as Scotland and Germany, where silk threads were used in embroidering the clothes of the aristocracy. It is also likely that raw silk, reaching Greece by way
of the Black Sea and its Scythians, was woven into textiles at Cos.

Parthian Persians have used silk for their battle banners.

But if sericulture took time to establish, the art of weaving silk began in Iran a great deal
earlier. In 224 AD the Persian Empire came under the control of the Sasanian dynasty, who
rapidly established dominance of the silk trade, and went into the business of establishing their
own government-controlled silk weaving industry, developing distinctive and sophisticated
designs (figure 5).

Sasanian weavers,developed a compound weft silk twill with elaborate repeating motifs such as winged lions,
hunting scenes, tree of life patterns, and opposing birds, each motif enclosed within a pearl-like
roundel, and each group of roundels separated by scrolling, geometric plant forms

Unfortunately only around two dozen textiles which can be unequivocally traced to.
>>
>>1033868
he was a Greek ethnic
>>
>>1011708
Yes but they mostly look like Chinks
>>
>>1020375
Butthurt detected.
>>
>>1024314
Except the Scythians weren't their ancestors. Stormfag subhumans like to give themselves the best titles and steal others history desu.
>>
>>1029121
>>1025868
>>1033841

>Seres was a confederacy of Tocharian people, who invented silk and traded it with the Indians, the Chinese and, through the Parthians and later the Sassanid Persians, the Romans.
>Seres Tocharian silk

Similarly, Ptolemy, calls the chief city of Seres, Sera and the country Serice/Serica** states in Geographia, "The inhabited part of our earth is bounded on the east along the region occupied by the easternmost nations of Asia Major, the Sinae (China) and the nations of Serice." Further, "The eastern extremity of the known earth is limited by the meridian drawn through the metropolis of the Sinae

note the difference between Serice and Sinae. China and Seres are not the same
note Serica means the 'land of silk'
>>
>>1011864
>>1016882
>>1020227

Evidence of Sogdians living in Turfan in the Tarim Basin have been discovered.
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.