[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything that the Native Americans had a better grasp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 19
Is there anything that the Native Americans had a better grasp in than the Europeans? What about agriculture and trade?
>>
being savages
>>
Uh, well sustainable living? But that was more due to inability than wisdom.
>>
>>1010190
>Is there anything that the Native Americans had a better grasp in than the Europeans

how to be human

or savage

depends who you ask
>>
>>1010190
chillin'
>>
The Incas were pretty good at trepanation and stonework.
>>
They knew how to grow Sweet Corn and Potatoes and hunt buffaloos, pretty sure the Europeans knew nothing about that before Columbus
>>
>>1010285
Yeah, they were good at staple crops.
>>
>>1010190
>Living in the Americas.
>Religion that is actually related to experiences in life and not what some dude with a big hat in a palace says
>Making popcorn
>making chocolate
>>
>>1010284
Not to mention message delivery.

I actually think I'd be a good Incan messenger because I can sprint for a good while and I have a good memory.
>>
There are lots of psychological features among natives that you couldn't even imagine in europe at the time, mostly because native americans were not a homogeneus population, under a state or adoring one only true god, hence making different cultures and abundant.
>>
>>1010304
different cultures and attitudes towards their environment more abundant.*
>>
>>1010311
What did I say?
>>
>>1010291
They didn't make chocolate as we know it.
It was more like a bitter hot chocolate.
>>
>>1010291
>>1010316
This is assumptive, over generalized and incorrect
>>
Presumably a huge amount of hunting and gathering knowledge about the specific areas they inhabit.

Most hunter-gatherer society develop centuries or millennia worth of understanding of their environments from oral lore.
>>
File: Inca Terrace Farm.jpg (4 MB, 3961x2031) Image search: [Google]
Inca Terrace Farm.jpg
4 MB, 3961x2031
Breeding new crops. Pic related. An Incan agricultural research terrace farm.
>>
>>1010326
Also they were pretty good at intuitive thinking, not only about their environment, but also about human nature or culture-creation
>>
>>1010321
So it's better to call them savages?
>>
>>1010321
>assumptive

I'm pretty sure people living in the americas would know how to live there better. I know the way I worded it made it seem like jingoist banter, and I'm sorry for that
>generalized
wasn't that the point
>incorrect
The chocolate one is a bit shaky as >>1010317
pointed out, but the rest is true.
>>
The Aztecs were pretty good at planning cities so they didn't have to throw their piss and feces in the fucking streets.

But this ended up being their downfall, when the pestilent Spaniards came with all these disgusting diseases they were harboring from growing up in India-tier conditions, the Aztecs simply didn't have the immune systems to deal with it.
>>
>>1010355
>throw their piss and feces in the fucking streets

when will this meme die?
>>
>>1010190

Yes, many things. Your question is really too broad to answer, though, since "Native Americans" includes dozens of cultures which were good at different things.

Overall, Americans had an overall higher standard of living than Europeans. Although this has more to do with the absolutely shitty way European peasants were treated.

Several cultures had figured out much superior farming techniques to anything Euros were doing at the time.

Some American cultures were far ahead of Europeans in some areas, like the Incas with civil engineering.
>>
>>1010355
this
>>
>>1010346
>>1010347
You have no clue about our religions you dumbass.
>>
>>1010363
Not him but unfortunately that was kind of the norm in 16th century.
>>
what about physical prowess and not being fucking beer addicts?
>>
>>1010317
It wasn't hot chocolate either. It was a frothy drink sweetened with vanilla, honey, spices and perhaps other ingredients.

Recent fibdings also show chocolate was used in sauces and foods much like in contemporary mexican cuisine.

Also cacao beans were a basic currency. 10 beans could buy a prostitute at the market.
>>
>>1010190
The phrase "better grasp" in OP's question belies a certain begging of the question. Linguistically, the term suggests a metaphoric "holding onto" as signifying understanding. Perhaps this is where we can start to unpack the assumptions that OP is bringing to the question.

Underpinning the concept of "grasping" things is a certain Mathusian framework which envisions skills and concepts as applicable, repeatable processes. I am not so sure this maps reliably onto the Native framework of humanity and culture.

Perhaps it is the "letting go" of things which stands as what they had a "better grasp" of, in a paradoxical sense. They accepted, for example, the impermanence and malleability of truth as told through oral tradition rather than written language. This is a level of humility that most humans today struggle with, especially in the west.

I recall hearing a story that a Native American tribe (I think it was Cherokee) were confused by the gesture of making a circle around one's ear to signify insanity after contact with "the white man" was made. When asked what they used to show someone was crazy, they raised an index finger and pantomimed drawing a straight line across the forehead. I think there's a lot to make of this anecdote (however apocryphal it will surely be argued to be).

In short, OP, read Native authors. Paula Gunn Allen comes to mind (her academic essays much more than her personal narratives, in my opinion - there's one about Iyatiku, the Spider Woman of the Lakota that deeply impressed me). Read about them and read them.

But if you're looking for who's better at what, you're approaching it from a perspective that will make it difficult to understand.
>>
Aztecs had a pretty badass educational system
>>
>>1010369
Native American religions or Catholicism?
>>
>>1010190
up until the 19th century they were probably better at agriculture and guerilla warfare.
>>
>>1010400
Native religions dumbass

There is an inipi a yard away from me that we use for ceremony.
>>
>>1010411
>inipi
So what exactly did I say that was wrong? when I say related to personal experiences mean relate able and not dictated to by a guy that may be across the globe from you.
>>
>>1010430
>>1010321
>>
File: drunk mayas.jpg (177 KB, 1200x462) Image search: [Google]
drunk mayas.jpg
177 KB, 1200x462
>>1010380
Some Mesoamericans did binge drinking of alcohol. The Maya ritualized it even. Pic related.
>>
>>1010443
Well being over generalized is kind of the point. Actually provide some sort of reason for why I'm wrong and don't just be a dick
>>
>>1010450
The Incas had girls chew corn, spit it out, and ferment it to make Chicha.
>>
>>1010395
This post really piques me, and even makes me wonder if I know who wrote it. Are you by any chance currently attending Yale as an undergraduate?
>>
File: aztec public health.gif (69 KB, 641x980) Image search: [Google]
aztec public health.gif
69 KB, 641x980
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1805201/

Aztec public health:
>hmm, bad odors correlate with bad health, so we should try to build aqueducts that deliver clean water to the city while diverting waste outside.
>We should build two aqueducts so we can rotate between cleaning one while using the other.
>Solid waste can be used for manure but must be moved outside the city
>in addition, we must employ street sweepers to keep discarded food and other crap out of the streets so as not to atrract vermin

Meanwhile in Spain:
>Raymundo, my son: you must choose:
>you can try to copy this old roman aqueduct, very good workmanship lost to our inferior peoples
>or you can continue to shit in the streets
>>
>>1010463
This desu
>>
>>1010451
Don't have to, I just dropped by to say that you should study our various religions before speaking with any sort of sureness because those of us actually in this think you are a retard for believing we all have the same or similar concepts and beliefs of god or faith.
>>
>>1010363
Face it, the Europeans were the original POO IN LOO
>>
>>1010331
THIS
>>
>>1010481
I never said you did.

I'm saying that for the most part religious beliefs were based in the tribes and didn't partially revolve around a man you would probably never see saying shit.
>>
>>1010487
Not true, study more
>>
File: aztec class.jpg (73 KB, 700x511) Image search: [Google]
aztec class.jpg
73 KB, 700x511
>>1010399
One of the first civilizations who gave education to both genders and irregardless of class too (except maybe slaves, not sure about them).
>>
>>1010495
how the fuck is a religion that belongs to a tribe not based in the fucking tribe. What I mean is religious leaders, religious monuments, etc. are based in the tribe and you don't have to make a pilgrimage across all of Europe to see the man who basically dictates the faith.
>>
>>1010450
Ritual drinking of alcohol is almost the opposite to recreational drinking. There's a different intent to the action. When religion or deep cultural roots are attached to the act almost always you will find that the object that is the object of the ritual is either scarce or very powerful.
>>
>>1010461
You just made my day :) Other side of the country, BA & MA from pleb-level State Universities.
>>
I heard that in some ways, the natives weren't primitive compared to the Euros but rather just did things differently. For example, medicine.
>>
>>1010459
I believe the Taino did the same. I remember drinking chicha one time during a storm. I got really fucked up.
>>
>>1010515
>Euros go to Americas, see natives are in large empires and fairly peaceful and they do things differently
"They are savages and must be tamed"
>Euros go to Japan embroiled in a civil war and see they do things differently
"They're not savages, just different"
>>
>>1010515
They had different concepts of how to organize a society and that pretty much makes the whole difference. It is very hard to go against centuries of tradition and found a city, for instance.
>>
>>1010505
To believe that every tribe had a singular monolithic faith or that there was no multi ethnostate religion is absolutely retarded when we understand the ceremonial and religious roles mound building civilizations had, it's also ignoring inipi ceremonies, Kuksu and many other religions and cults that spread before the colonization of europeans.

You are a retard. Study before you speak. I'm done, good bye.
>>
>>1010523
Chicha seems like disgusting crap to me.
>>
>>1010533
>ad hominem
>generalized statements
>"I'm really done this time guys"

topkek
>>
>>1010534
There's different methods to prepare it. We did not do it the spitting way. And there's different ingredients you can add. Some for example don't use maize, but manioc.
>>
>>1010291
Enjoy being brutally sacrificed to an equally fictional deity.
>>
>>1010190
Canoe's were kinda neat. Europeans had those but I believe that by the time they got to America they had largely forgotten about them.
>>
>>1010551
Well yeah, I just mean I wouldn't think corn beer would taste that good. Does it?
>>
>>1010355
The Aztecs didn't "throw their piss and feces" in the steets: they literally threw it in the waters of Lake Texcoco instead, from which they drank and fished out of.

>Aztec city-planning

What? They only 'planned' the temple district of Tenochitlan, and the rest of the city grew without any sort of planning. Also, the Aztecs weren't even a real empire, such that the Aztecs truly only ruled in Tenochtitlan: if any other city had urban planning, it was independent of Aztec rule or customs.
>>
>>1010463
Fucking Spaniards.

I heard someone saying that in Europe people further north washed themselves more often and things got truly horrid south of the alps.
>>
>>1010562
Have you ever had Coors?
>>
>>1010575
No. I mostly don't drink, but I have an occasional local brew.
>>
Space
>>
>>1010569

This is false, if you read the article I linked elsewhere, they transported solid waste outside the city in canoes for use as fertilizer, and urinated in designated soil patches that were transported elsewhere for specialized agriculture. And they didn't drink directly from the water around tenochtitlan but rather had water siphoned by canal from nearby Chapultepec. So you're pretty much wrong on all points.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1805201/?page=2
>>
>>1010592
>designated soil patches
You did this on purpose
>>
>>1010503
Slaves had the right to marry, to have children, to substitute another individual in their place, and to buy their freedom.
The condition of slavery was not hereditary, however, with a court permission an individual could sell his children to pay his debt. This was frequent between the most poor classes, who offered their children to nobles in exchange for a constant supply of food or goods and usually the individual was relieved by a younger relative when he was in age to marry.
Slave owners were responsible for housing, feeding and the education of their slaves.
>>
>>1010190
They had good methods of hunting. There were literally hundreds of native languages and tribes which were all quite diverse because of geography, but i remember reading about how some tribes would plant lots of trees and bushes that wild game liked to eat so they could hunt easy. Also they planted trees to trap animals or confuse them in certain areas. Some had agriculture, some didn't, others had some cool proto-agriculture.

California tribes particularly had a really good sense of ecology, they tended the wilds to make sure plenty of stuff grew with lots of animals around, making it easy for them to subsist.

Also medicine is the big one here. Before europeans learned about medicine from the natives they were all about crazy superstition shit.
>>
File: 1461038464046.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1461038464046.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>1010299
The Spanish wanted to keep it but they didn't selected and trained them since the age of 8, as the Incas did.

>>1010459
>>1010534
Not wanting to take chicha made especially sweet little mouths of the Acllas, the most cute girls of the empire, chosen from the age of 6-8, educated to be the perfect waifus of the Incas at the age of 15.
>>
>>1010796
Quality post.
>>
>>1010799
In all fairness you call what was a pretty good European tradition of medicine "crazy superstition shit", and attribute the advancement of European medical practice, not the exposure of new medicinal plants, but the contact with the very few amerindian tribes that survived the plague to pass on a medical tradition.
>>
>>1010816
I'm not even the same guy. I'm just saying that you should actually try to refute what he says instead of shitposting.
>>
>>1010515
People have just fetishized modernity to such an extent that they deem any practice or culture not in line with it inherently worse. "Primitive may have some value as a descriptive word, but it has such a value judgement attached to it that it kind of clouds anything it addresses.
>>
>>1010529
Eh, that applies to Spain and Latin America for the most part.
>>
Astronomy?
>>
File: Αρχοντας-Σιπαν1.jpg (75 KB, 550x430) Image search: [Google]
Αρχοντας-Σιπαν1.jpg
75 KB, 550x430
>>1010190
The moche knew how to do electrochemical gold plating, something that wouldn't be rediscovered until the 19th century.
>>
>>1010830
If he's gonna post something shitty, his response doesn't need to be any better.
>>
>>1010562
It's not bad at all.
>>
>>1010487
nah, there's even an old timey way of cleaning yourself daily using a bucket and soap. instead of a bath, you fill the bucket with clean water and using a gourd you get yourself wet. then soap up and rinse.
>>
>>1010935
>If he's gonna post something shitty, his response doesn't need to be any better.
But it benefits no one to reply with a shitpost.
>>
>>1010533
You kinda sound like the 1/16 Cherokee guy from the thanksgiving episode of southpark
>>
>>1010190
They had a far better grasp on how to survive in America without the support structure that became integral to pilgrim life. Europeans were far beyond them in terms of agricultural and trade. Indians had no tamed beasts to pull plows, or steel, and no ships to sail around the world trading.

According to evolutionary theory indians are the ideally suited people for life in America (at that tech level anyways).
>>
>ctrl+f
>no three sisters
shameful/10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(agriculture)
>>
>>1011474
>According to evolutionary theory indians are the ideally suited people for life in America (at that tech level anyways).

Not how evolution works, the ~14,000 years people have been in america is not enough time more major evolutionary adaptation, let alone adaptation to the variety of environments in the Americas. It's more an example of behavioural flexibility and adjusting to the local environment (the ability to modify our behaviour is the result of evolution, but the particular way we modify it is dependant upon your environment and local conditions.)
>>
>>1011496

> is not enough time more major evolutionary adaptation, let alone adaptation to the variety of environments in the Americas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaghan_people
>Over time, they had evolved significantly higher metabolisms than average humans, allowing them to generate more internal body heat.

>http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/09/17/441169188/the-secret-to-the-inuit-high-fat-diet-may-be-good-genes

>But a new study on Inuit in Greenland suggests that Arctic peoples evolved certain genetic adaptations that allow them to consume much higher amounts of fat than most other people around the world
>>
>>1010190
Mayans knew about the 0 3 centuries before europe.

also social and political organization as >>1010364 pointed out; didnt the american constitution copied some ideas of the iroquese federation?
>>
>>1011519
I actually thought I might have been generalising a bit after I posted, yea small scale adaptations would occur, I wouldn't be surprised if people from the Andes have similar high altitude adaptations as Himalayans. The mention of evolution in regards to tech level just seemed strange, and would largely be a result of behavioural flexibility resulting in local knowledge of conditions and cultural practices suited for the america's rather than the majority being due to biological evolution.
>>
>>1011521
It was probably convergent development.

It isn't that uncommon for tribal confederations to develop democratic customs, and western political theory is based off of that.
>>
>>1011496
>Not how evolution works, the ~14,000 years people have been in america is not enough time more major evolutionary adaptation,

Evolution is still going to be at work even on smaller timescales. Of all humans on earth they will be the most suited to living in that environment even if only slightly.
>>
>>1011549
Fair enough, and most likely true, then again, for a non human example, the success of invasive species shows that the locally adapted species don't always out compete introduced ones.
>>
>>1011521
Which is believed to have existed for centuries prior in the 12th century.
>>
>>1011563
True, but usually the invasive have no close relative in the environment they invade. They are something completely new to the ecosystem.

Pilgrims were advanced enough to be somewhat divorced from evolution however. It becomes something of a non-factor when the society can overcome obstacles and thrive using technology instead of needing generations of trial and error to produce the odd successful mutant.
>>
>>1010190
mesoamerica had legit better hydraulics, which also encompassed public health. They also had state sponsored education systems and certain possibility of class mobility, on the other hand,
>>1010463
Spaniards and Italians were the most architecturally and urbanistically advanced
places in europe, with the renaissance city planning having such a success in the old continent that the americas were subjected to, until then, the fastest urbanization process the world had seen at that point, the number of spanish cities, settlements and ports being funded whose original planning remains to this day is amazing.
>>1010529
he spaniards never refered to the actual empires they found as "primitive" tho, they were impressed by tenochtitlán. Lesser political entities and nomadic peoples did get refered as savages tho.
>Aztecs weren't even a real empire, such that the Aztecs truly only ruled in Tenochtitlan
I don't think you quite understand what ampire means
>>
>>1010487
>>1010505
It's okay, Indians are EXTREMELY sensitive about white men looking into their traditions that we obliterated. Namely through alcohol

You have to take a knee and understand that they are a tightknit group, and their religious knowledge is never going to be fully understood outside their race. At the very least they are a more mystical shamanic people. Think ancient Egypt, who had their cities dedicated to different gods

Or I could be wrong there. Let's wait and see if I get backlash
>>
>>1011596
Most of the ones in Canada were more of a nomadic tribes people who moves around in their area depending on the seasons.

Essentially the same thing people were doing in Europe before agriculture became a thing.

I've yet to meet any of them that give two shits about their religious practices outside of playing it up to get more govt money. All the head dresses come out when it's time to protest this or that because they don't think they were paid enough.
>>
>>1011596
Don't know about northern peoples but LA natives are mostly fervently catholic, yet still practice religiosity in their own particular ways, even with remaining pagan elements. still, don't know how closely the old mesoamerican religions would align with the northern ones. In mesoamerica, they were more pantheon based, while I don't know the particular place of, say, gods in NA tribes
>>
reflexes and running in the forest
>>
>>1011596
It depends heavily on the culture, Incas have one really strange myth, who says that they used to have a written lenguague but it was abolished after some catastrophic event in their society.

Wich is very interesting given the advances as a culture, that they developed writing, just like the mayans the aztecs an nearly every other culture.

The smaller tribes are way more fascinating cause their way to look at things is as you say very spiritual The most basic pinciple is that we don't own the earth, the earth own us.

They're not simpler cultures they are entirely different viewpoints on reality.

And just like learning a new field of lenguague, living a different mythology is fascinating.

Listen to some abos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-hbpWlXNQ
>>
File: quellca-tokapu.gif (37 KB, 462x494) Image search: [Google]
quellca-tokapu.gif
37 KB, 462x494
>>1011681
>but it was abolished after some catastrophic event in their society.

That is in the chronicle of Fernando de Montesinos, no?
Very controversial when it came to light, two centuries ago, many accused him of saying pure bullshit, although several things he said turned out to be true, several other things are evident historical errors and particularly i think there's some truth in what he said but we can't take him at face value.
Still i can remember at least a couple of spanish manuscripts and chronicles in which they outright tell us that the Incas had writing, also are many others like the ones of Titu Cusi and Huaman Poma that say it in a more subtle way, and there are also other chroniclers who basically tell us: these are the quelcas they served to remember past events. But they aren't writing! For some reason they couldnt see the quelcas as writing, perhaps because it was so different from the roman alphabet which they were accustomed (maybe something similar to what happened with the chinese ideograms at first ).
Anyway i like what Pedro Sarmiento de Gamboa said about it, whom I consider a much more reliable source.
"Pachacuti Inca Yupanqui, the ninth Inca, who made general call of all the old historians from the provinces which he subjected, and even many more of all these kingdoms, and keeping them in Cuzco for a long time asking them about antiquities, origin and remarkable things from their past of these kingdoms. and after he had well learned all of the more remarkable of the antiquities of their past, he made paint everything in order on large boards, and placed them in the houses of the sun in a great room, where the such tablets, which were decorated with gold, were like our libraries, and constituted doctors who knew understand them and report them. and the common people couldn't enter where the tables were, only the Inca or historians, without a license of the Inca approval. "
>>
>>1012304
We know from many other sources of the conquest that the place where the tablets were kept actually existed in Cuzco and it was called Pokencancha, generally was described as a kind of library or museum that had many quelcas (a kind of Inca symbols) and quipus.
It is also remarkable that in the first dictionaries of Spanish - Quechua, made just after the conquest, you can see that the word Quellca or Quillca is translated as a letter or writing by the Spaniards themselves.
>>
>>1010190
Spoopy spirits. Wendigo > Banshee+Krampus+urrythang
>>
>>1010225
>sustainable living
The Navajo desertified vast areas and before the diseases hit and killed nearly everyone the Natives in other areas were working on their own.
>>
>>1010200
underrated first comment.
literally all they were good at.
>>
>>1010284
Nothing can compare to incan stonework imo
>>
>>1010363
Oh wow anon you need to do some soul searching, you know it to be true
>>
>>1012329
>Muh edge
>>
Daily reminder that Incan pots show men riding on dinosaurs.

christians: 1
atheists: 0
>>
>>1010225
haha keep falling for that leftist revisionism kid
>>
>>1011588
I was more so referring to the Inca, who Pizzaro called savages even though the man couldn't even fucking read or write.
>>
>>1012775
Pizzarro was the true savage, killing a hostage after he got the ransom.
>>
>>1012784
This desu.

Isn't that a war crime? Not that those rules really applied to conquering natives back then.
>>
>>1012469
I think you mean

Jews: 1
Gaytheists: 0
>>
>>1012788
The Spanish crown actually disapproved of it when they found out, though I don't think he got punished.

Dude eventually got killed in a coup by some other conquistadores. Reap what you sow.
>>
Isn't the Mayan calendar more accurate than the current one?
>>
>>1012469
They were proved to be fake in the past century, senpai.
>>
File: 5676532.jpg (28 KB, 350x213) Image search: [Google]
5676532.jpg
28 KB, 350x213
>Quipus, sometimes known as khipus or talking knots,[1] were recording devices historically used in the region of Andean South America.[2] A quipu usually consisted of colored, spun, and plied thread or strings made from cotton or camelid fiber. For the Inca, the system aided in collecting data and keeping records, ranging from monitoring tax obligations, properly collecting census records, calendrical information, and military organization.[3] The cords contained numeric and other values encoded by knots in a base ten positional system. A quipu could have only a few or up to 2,000 cords.[4]

was it autism?
>>
>>1013129
it is.
>>
>>1010613
Forgot to mention this laws are from the cities of the Triple Alliance, other city-states had different organizations. It must be noted that people became slaves when they couldn't pay a debt or stole something they couldn't restitute. Slaves worked until they paid back their debt and they could own properties, for example, other slaves. Nevertheless, slave ownership was untransferable.
>>
>>1010190
They were way more in touch with the supernatural than the Europeans.
>>
>>1013907
The Pipils (Central American Nahua people) in their laws apparently gave rapists two option: death or enslavement. This choice was up to the victims family, and if the choice was slavery he had to work as a slave for the victims family.
>>
So overall and up to this point Natives were in this position:

-Metallurgy
-Architecture
-Ships

+Astronomy
+Sanitation systems

=Engineering
=Agriculture

Feel free to prove this wrong btw
>>
>>1014079

I would say Inca architecture was superior in terms of durability, since the area was exposed to earthquakes and the Incas used stones hewn on their natural fault lines to prevent cracking. Not sure if this falls under engineering though.
>>
>>1012328
How did they desertify their environment?
>>
>>1012471
You falseflagging? It was clearly stated any sustainable living was due to inability to have a significant impact on the environment.

Are leftists this desperate to slander the opposition?
>>
File: Maya_suspension-bridge.jpg (38 KB, 435x275) Image search: [Google]
Maya_suspension-bridge.jpg
38 KB, 435x275
>>1014079
I'd say aztecs were ahead in agriculture and hydraulic engineering, Mayas had some crazy stuff too
>>
>>1012788
"Why Nations Fail" have a complete chapter dedicated to this, apparently conquistadors asked for an audience with the local king, take him as hostage (since native rulers expected respect to his almost divine authority) and force him to fill an entire room with gold, if the king couldn't do this they would kill him, if he could they will keep asking for more gold, just to kill him anyway, some nasty time for american indians that's for sure.
>>
File: download.png (6 KB, 109x144) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6 KB, 109x144
>>1014251
The funny thing is that pizzarro's main advisirs actually disapproved of his treatment of atahualpa. And when the king of Spain found out he called it a miscarriage of justice and said it was unsuitable treatment of a king, indicating that he recognized the legitimacy of the Inca. The huanca nobles also had their nobility recogbized, and Catalina de Hunaca, the princess of the huanca people, was pizzarro's god-daughter when the huanca adopted Catholicism. They even got their own coat of arms.
>>
>>1014290
We always hear about the brutality of Europeans against natives but not the backlash against the brutality from other Europeans.
>>
>>1010200
>>1012329
CRAWWWLING IN MYYY SKINNN
>>
>>1010363
Damn, that edge is so rare it hasn't been produced since Byzantine steel.
>>
>>1014307

History is complicated, but if wanted to draw a generalization I'd say that treatment of natives actually got worse in the century following the conquest of Peru and Mexico, because the Spaniards began codifying racist policies as an excuse to get more material wealth. The huancas were originally treated as equivalent to Spanish nobles but eventually the Spanish administrators burnt the documents that legitimized their house.
>>
>>1010331
what was the purpose of these things? How did they work?
>>
>>1014290
Same in Mexico, in fact the dukes of Moctezuma are still part of the spanish nobilty to this day.
>>
Apparently, Native Americans were better with herbalism than Europeans when they were first discovered.
>>
>>1010570
lel, Italians, Greeks/Byzies and Spaniards were more hygienic and cleaner than Northern Europe.
>>
>>1010355
they did because of diseases from animals
>>
>>1010529
>Fairly peaceful
>Mesoamerica

Lel
>>
>>1014368
Leyes de Burgos, English and French treated natives, as well as Africans worse than the Spanish
>>
File: asspain.png (119 KB, 592x767) Image search: [Google]
asspain.png
119 KB, 592x767
>>1014251
>>1014290
>>1014368
Lets be honest most of the early "explorers" were tyrants and psychopaths even by the standard of the day.

Afonso de Albuquerque
Hernán Cortés
Columbus
Francisco Pizarro
Vasco Da Gama
Pedro Álvares Cabral
Juan Ponce de León
Vicente Sodré

Or it might be that the Iberian Peninsula breeds a special kind of shityness
>>
>>1010190
Mostly local knowledge and what not. Which plants held certain properties, which insect and animals where especially dangerous, the geography of America.

They were pretty notoriously bad in trade since they lacked the knowledge of the true value of what they were selling and buying.
>>
>>1010190
It took until the second half of the 17th century for English settlers to learn how to live in America without freezing to death every winter
>>
>>1015082
>They were pretty notoriously bad in trade since they lacked the knowledge of the true value of what they were selling and buying.

Completely disregarding the Putun.
>>
File: 1452037005402.jpg (469 KB, 1056x674) Image search: [Google]
1452037005402.jpg
469 KB, 1056x674
>>1014251
not to stand up to pizarro (Cortés was the most gallant conquistador by far) but the Inca (which was the quechua god emperor title) also was kind of an ass
>>1015081
don't you talk shit about cortés you fucking heretic
>>
>>1015033
Not really though, Spaniards were still shitty colonists. Shit tons of works of art and books were burned, aspects of their life and culture banned, Radicalized the children of the native elites. And their racial caste system, though abolished is still rooted in the subconscious of latin america today.
>>
>>1015269
There was no "Mayan Empire". When will this meme die?
>>
>>1015269
What ya gonna do about it.
>>
>>1015282
the autist that made the image probably confused it with the Mexica empire, few people know that the maya culture was reduced to a collection of petty city states at that point
>>
File: cuscomasonry.jpg (45 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
cuscomasonry.jpg
45 KB, 640x427
>>1010190
this maybe. they lacked good cement and iron chisels maybe so they went crazy into masonry
>>
>>1015319
>petty city states at that point
but that's what Mexica empire pretty much was
>>
File: cortes_hernan_2.jpg (19 KB, 340x293) Image search: [Google]
cortes_hernan_2.jpg
19 KB, 340x293
>>1015312
sneeze in your close proximity then give nobility titles and convert your enemies fukboi
>>
>>1014970

Yes, Spaniards are filthy animals, glad we're on the same page.

:^)
>>
>>1015327
Yes and no, Tenochtitlan was a fuckhueg city directly controlled by the mexica that was practically unasaultable by the local natives, which recieved tribute of spice and sacrifice from a collection of petty citiy states and tribes
>>
>>1015082

There's no such thing as 'true value' you pleb. What is this, 1884?
>>
>>1015319
Yes, and prior to that they were no more than a collection of city-state kingdoms and confederacies (League of Mayapan). I was referring to back in the 60s academics used to call the Maya of the Classical period the 'Old Empire'. But there was never such unity, and it's considered an antiquated idea now.
>>
>>1015082
>true value
>>
>>1015459
yes, but those weren't as petty
also, old historiographical stereotypes and mistake are very hard to erase
>>
File: EndHimRightly.jpg (83 KB, 635x600) Image search: [Google]
EndHimRightly.jpg
83 KB, 635x600
>>1010190
Guerrilla warfare.
>pic unrelated
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.