[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about this statement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Good and evil.jpg (48 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
Good and evil.jpg
48 KB, 850x400
What does /his/ think about this statement?
>>
actually the good can be a subject of knowledge so it's like the sun to vision
t. plato
>>
>>1009733
spooky
>>
>>1009733
Interesting
>>
>>1009733
I agree with the sentiment, but can't call it a universal truth or anything.
>>
>>1009733
no it doesnt make any sense
>>
>>1010296
>The only really good thing is to gain knowledge about the world and how it works
>The only evil is to not try to learn, even doing your best to not learn
As I gets it.
>>
I think that the grammar in it is fucking atrocious. Maybe I'm getting my own grammar all fucked up, but it took me two or three passes to understand what was written.

Is it just me, or are the commas all fucked up? Should there be a colon after good and evil?
>>
>>1009733
This is the type of thinking that leads to absolute terror. When you believe you are objectivily in the right and everyone else's opinion is "ignorance" that needs to be re-educated thought-crime is now possible. There is no compromise with those that have opposing opinions their thoughts are the greatest evil of all.

This is the ideology of liberals and SJW, they are right and if you disagree you are ignorant and this ignorance is evil.

It's the ideology of tyrants and cruel dictators. They are right and those against their rule are committing the great evil of ignorance. Sending them to re-education camps is morally good.

Socrates is basically patient zero for all the problems of ideology today.
>>
>>1010328
so its okay to be a serial killer as long as you do some reading on the side?
>>
he's right you know
>>
>>1010467
Well, either he don't puts any moral to such actions, and that you don't become good by studying. You just do good things.
Or he just think that more knowledge will give you better morals, that it will make you come closer to an universal truth.
>>
>>1009733
It's arrogant nonsense coming from a man who says he knows nothing.
>>
>>1009733
Socrates' words reflect the Platonic tendency to break things down to binaries, which is inherently problematic. Paired with the Aristotelian tendency toward taxonomies, and you begin to enter into a machination of infinite complexity, constantly striving to place ideas, concepts, and (most dangerously) people into categories which belong to larger categories, eventually leading toward two groups: the "good" and the "evil." Thus, while it is an attempt to reconcile the complexity of the world into a simple opposition, and an appeal to the pursuit of knowledge, it is also an effort to establish a premise for acceptance of rule by the "Philosopher Kings" that Plato believed should rule over all other classes. Mapping this onto contemporary worldviews yields an admitted elitism, further problematized by the issue of how we measure "knowledge." Essentially, attempting to bridge the ethical claims of "good" with the objective claims of "knowledge" appears to be either intentional enthymemic equation or intentional omission of detail.

>>1010330
Yes, I agree. Perhaps it should read "There is only one good - knowledge, and one evil - ignorance."
>>
>>1010658
>not going Beyond Good and Evil
>>
>>1011043
Are you referring to Nietzsche here? Because admittedly, his premise of the Apollonian vs. Dionysian impulse is a reflection of similar binary opposition, but he reconciles it through application of the Hegelian dialectic, which Socrates can only arguably be seen to have done in Parmenides (obviously not the *Hegelian* dialectic, but the principle of dialectical thought). I can only assume this is your line of thinking, because otherwise mentioning Nietzsche in a post on the analysis of a quote from a Greek philosopher makes basically no sense whatsoever.
>>
>>1009733
>knowledge of how to exploit others
>ignorance of the resentment felt by the exploited
>>
>>1010467
A serial killer is ignorant of virtue
>>
>>1010508

But is not true wisdom in knowing you know nothing?
>>
File: download (17).jpg (6 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
download (17).jpg
6 KB, 183x275
>ignorance is by definition bad
>mfw
>>
>>1011448
A virtuous person is ignorant of serial killing. Either knowledge isn't a good unto itself or there are outside qualifications upon what is actually good (in this case, "virtuous" knowledge.)
>>
>>1013118
Virtue concerns proper conduct of act. Improper action (e.g. serial killing) demonstrates ignorance of virtue.

>A virtuous person is ignorant of serial killing
One needn't become a serial killer to possess knowledge of serial killing (such as the fact that it is evil, and ought not to be committed), in the same way that one needn't become an engineer to possess knowledge of the physical sciences.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.