[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Medievival Kingdoms such as the Spanish and Scandinavians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: 423131.jpg (12 KB, 297x170) Image search: [Google]
423131.jpg
12 KB, 297x170
How did Medievival Kingdoms such as the Spanish and Scandinavians manage to use their ancestors the Goths and Vikings for propaganda reasons while Viewing them as filthy Heretics or Pagans bound to hell?
Building your legacy on a bunch you think were all in the wrong and worthy of eternal punishment seems to be rather contradicting.
>>
Goths were pretty much always Christian, they were converted to Arianism really early on and pretty much before any other major Germanic tribe.

Vikings as well were converted rather then having to be conquered like the Baltic pagans or the Saxons.
>>
>>1007178
1. Virtuous pagans.

2. Humans are adept at ignoring what they don't like and what doesn't fit their world view.
>>
>>1007178
People respect military strength. Also because those pagans no longer exist, you don't have to worry about being associated with somebody you currently have a feud with.
>>
>>1007178

look at /pol/

hitler, mussolini, pinochet, every single autocratic or fascist dictator in the history of the world restricted freedom of speech heavily. yet they are the first to cry "boo hoo muh free speech why can't I say dyke and nigger?"

people don't give a fuck about contradictions mostly. hell, they're not even aware of them.
>>
>>1007178
Because they weren't necessarily raving mad Christians?
>>
>>1007196
The Arians were pretty much super heathens though as they rejected the Trinity itself.
And many of the Viking exploits were in some way hostile against the Christian Kingdoms.
>>
>>1007202
What makes /pol/ funnier is that the mentally ill would have been sterilized or killed in Nazi Germany and they still support him despite themselves being mentally ill.
>>
>>1007231

there's slavs on /pol/ that celebrate hitler even though he planned to kill half of eastern europe to make place for the aryans-

the ride never ends, friend. when you think "it doesn't get more retarded" they'll show you.
>>
>>1007244
I remember some putinbot from an ex-Yugo country explaining how the Ukrainians are neo-nazis and they keep electing Jews in positions of power because they are in Rotschild's pocket or some shit, and they're fighting in Donbass for ancient Jewish Khazarian lands. I couldn't make heads or tails of that shit.
>>
>>1007178
I don't think Danes were ever that religious. The king said we were christian and so it was. If the church wasn't solely state funded in Denmark it would not exist today. The Swedes fought over it, but had it nowhere as though as the Norwegians. The conversetion was really grim and bloody there. Funny thing though is that in Norway you'll find the most die-hard christians in Scadinavia today.
>>
>>1007310
Wasn't the Conversion relatively peaceful in Sweden and Denmark?
It was only in Breivikistan that things got really bloody.
Also, unrelated, but you have heard about these three "Saint" kings Norway Swden and Denmark got?
I am finding it a bit funny that while both the Swedish and Danish Kings became killed during a sermon the Norwegian one was (As I get it) slain by Christian peasants while leading a largely Pagan host to retake the crown of Norway.
>>
>>1007327
Denmark was totally peaceful. Traders "converted" to trade in the south and Prussia but heavy pressure on the king. No uprising in public as far as I know. To be honest I don't know about the Swedes, but I assume thats because there wasn't much to report ;) Danish Saint/King Canute(Knud) IV was slain while hiding in a Priory in Odense from uprising pesants who wanted to go back for harvest and got tired of waiting for battle - stil a bit vinking-ish
>>
>>1007395
We were mostly peaceful, partly because the kings didn't dare to do anything.
We did have a King that converted to Christianity early on and he was forced to drop the faith when the pagans around him got a bit pissed.
>>
>>1007178

Goths were Chrisitian Arrians, and that later converted to Catholicism, so Spaniards had no problems with then.
>>
>>1007310
>danes
>not religious
Religion teacher in Danmark here. BS. 70% of the country pays church taxes. Every 15 year old is confirmed in church. They just don't know shit about the religion cause they're hippie protestantcucks who, recently, decided that priests that say reincarnation is compatible with Christianity are a-okay. Dont know how the fuck that would work, but the Danes can do it cause theirs is a feelgoodreligion.

Fuck em.
>>
>>1007421

them*
>>
>>1007178
How come Northern European countries kept day names like

Tyrs day
Wodans day
thors day
Friggs day

Oh wait, maybe it's because American Christians are actually more insane and disconnected from real life than medieval ones.
>>
>>1007460
And having the last day of the week dedicated to Saturn
>>
>>1007640
A month to Mars and some bloody roman autocrat.
>>
>>1007178
Visigoths were Christians before arriving to Spain, and later converted to Catholicism.
>>
>>1007196
>>1007227
>>1007310

They weren't christian famalam, their "conversion" wasn't what you probably think it was. Their king aligned the tribe/state/kingdom/confederation/whatever you want to call it with the church for power/political reasons/survival, he either didn't even think or understand that he was supposed to adopt the christian belief system (and/or wasn't supposed to anyway) or he knew that he was officially meant to become a believer but didn't really give a shit. Either way he probably didn't understand christianity and what being/becoming a christian is like later christians did.

Historians say Arianism was a fusion of christianity and paganism or christianity with lots of pagan allowances/influences or vice versa, but really what happened was that they just kept on practicing their religion while officially they were meant to be Christians ie the king just told the church whatever they wanted to hear, "yeh they're doing/believing that thing you want us to now, whatever the hell that is"
>>
>>1007805

The Roman Church was against Arianism, no? The main focus of the council of Nicea was to determine it as heretical
>>
>>1007661

Two months to two autocrats, budy!
>>
>>1007805

What the hell are you trying to say?
>>
>>1007196
>Goths weren't Vikings
>Vikings are a tribe
>>
File: pelayo.jpg (21 KB, 340x297) Image search: [Google]
pelayo.jpg
21 KB, 340x297
Don Pelayo...expulso a los Moros de España
>>
>>1008895
Don Pelayo ... expelled the Moors from Spain
>>
>>1008877
You are aware that the Goths were pretty much gone already before Charlemagne and that the viking age began towards the end of his reign?
>>
>>1008895
>>1008899
>Tfw when my nation will never be based enough to have a city literally named "Kill Muslims"
>>
>>1008895
>>1008899

That has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
>>
File: reyes-catolicos.png (231 KB, 299x320) Image search: [Google]
reyes-catolicos.png
231 KB, 299x320
Catholics ... the most powerful kings in history
>>
>>1008877
Well, Götaland was well established by the Viking age. Were the inhabitants not Goths?
>>
>>1008948
No, not if you are talking about the Goths that ended up settling Crimea Italy and Spaun. They were North Germanic while the Goths were East Germanics
>>
>>1008948 was meant to be a reply to >>1008902
>>
File: Theodulf of Orleans.jpg (42 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
Theodulf of Orleans.jpg
42 KB, 231x346
>>1008902

All gone???
No!!!
>>
>>1007805

You know arianism was the first form of Christianity preached to barbarians, right? And that they were among the first if not the very first ones to convert, right? You also know they later converted to Catholicism right?
>>
>>1007805
You know Arianism reached back long before it became big among the Germanics?
>>
File: mOnvOJG.png (298 KB, 2271x2380) Image search: [Google]
mOnvOJG.png
298 KB, 2271x2380
>>1008904
>tfw doing presentation on the Reconquista in history class in my college tomorrow
>>
File: reconquista.jpg (29 KB, 417x287) Image search: [Google]
reconquista.jpg
29 KB, 417x287
>>1011095
SANTIAGO!!!
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.