[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most popular monarch in history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: alfred.jpg (89 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
alfred.jpg
89 KB, 768x1024
Just got a curious thought while doing some reading on the life of Alfred the Great. Who was history's most universally popular monarch? Taking into account the opinions of vassals, peasants, enemies, the clergy, and basically everyone else. Which monarch is universally agreed to be the most based?

Any thoughts?
>>
probably a recent british monarch just because of population increases on earth, so elizabeth II
>>
Louis IX
>>
>>1006816

That's kind of cheating though, no?
>>
Obama
>>
Probably Alexander, king of Macedonia
But >>1006826 and Richard the Lionheart are good picks considering they had the support of all the Christian world
>>
King Arthur
>>
>>1006803

Kid kings.
People loved their kid kings.
Its even better if they die tragically.
>>
File: tn_1235245586270.jpg (8 KB, 220x180) Image search: [Google]
tn_1235245586270.jpg
8 KB, 220x180
>>1007087
>>
Christian X of Denmark or Albert I of Belgium.
>>
>>1006833
does it matter if im right?
>>
Augustus

>>1007087
>in history
>>
>>1007112

Micky Mouse is very popular, even if he never really existed.
>>
File: dtfjo;hilgukfyjdthgkuhi.jpg (114 KB, 959x639) Image search: [Google]
dtfjo;hilgukfyjdthgkuhi.jpg
114 KB, 959x639
>>1006803
Charlemagne.
>>
Los Reyes Católicos, Isabel y Fernando.
>>
>>1006803
Cyrus the Great
>>
Henry IV (France)
>>
Probably Charlemagne. Slavic languages even use his first name "Karl" as their word for king.
>>
>>1006803

Isabella I?

Was popular with commoners, restored prestige to the Castilian crown, ended lawlessness in Castile, commanded respect from the vassals, restored relations with Portugal after the Castilian Civil War.
>>
>>1008690
Ferdinand was more admired than Isabella.
>>
>>1008725
Is that so? I learned about Isabella in school and games without even hearing his name.

Nobody cares about Ferdinand
>>
>>1008737
In their time, which is the object of this thread, Ferdinand was very admired and Isabella just respected.
Maquiavelo wrote The Prince thinking in him.
>>
>>1006803
Cyrus the great. Even the conquered Babylonians like him.
>>
>>1008658
If you're talking about tsar, that comes from Caesar
>>
>>1009006
he's talking about 'król' and whatever it is in other slavic languagues and he's right
>>
>>1008973
Even the Persian hating Greeks loved him.
>>
OLD
FRITZ
>>
Jesus Christ, BY FAR. The king of kings.
>>
Henry v possibly. He was praised by both French and English chroniclers. Though I don't know how he was viewed in the rest of the Mediterranean world
>>
>>1009239
>He was praised by both French and English chroniclers.

That's because he was both French (genetically) and English (culturally)
>>
>>1006816
I think the question is asking in terms of percentages. Besides, while if we were to take a simple Do you like? Yes/No You may even be right, but these people hold no power, neither politically nor culturally (they hold the cultural power of a major celebrity, NOT the same as a monarch or a leader)
>>
File: Friedrich Der Große.jpg (80 KB, 467x552) Image search: [Google]
Friedrich Der Große.jpg
80 KB, 467x552
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.