[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's ask a history academic anything time /his/ History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 1451363075583.jpg (135 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1451363075583.jpg
135 KB, 500x373
It's ask a history academic anything time /his/

History academics post in here with your field of study and other anons can answer questions

Broadly speaking I work on the history of the internet/history of certain right wing movements in the US
>>
File: 1454644403552.jpg (56 KB, 575x600) Image search: [Google]
1454644403552.jpg
56 KB, 575x600
>Broadly speaking I work on the history of the internet/history of certain right wing movements in the US

"""work"""
>>
>>1002264
>i am a /pol/ historian, please pay attention to me
>>
>>1002290
Yeah sorry I should have clarified: I am very critical of said movements, just interested in how they re-create certain visions of history through use of the internet/memes

So like, as a hypothetical example, looking at how Holocaust deniers use the massive ms paint red-line images to prove that hitler is a dindu nuffin etc and what the implications of that are
>>
Can you explain why internet right wing movements are toothless and don't do anything outside of the internet?

I've never seen /pol/ protesting a Bernie rally, for instance.
>>
>>1002311
Do you seriously think the rise of Trump has nothing to do with the internet at all?
>>
>>1002306
>there are people who are actually being paid to document this

How does it feel to be completely useless to society?
>>
>>1002306
/pol/'s adoption of crusading sounds similar
>>
>>1002316
In the big picture, /pol/ is fairly irrelevant when it comes to Trump. Most people who vote Trump have no idea about memes or imageboards.
>>
>>1002321
All one needs to be useful is pay taxes and not be a drain on social welfare. Everything else is gravy.
>>
>>1002325
But they might know about facebook and social media and guess where /pol/ goes to get people to adopt their beliefs?
>>
>>1002316
Still, that's within the internet. I mean big protests against BLM and shit. Internet grassroots campaigns are one thing but its another to put your ideas in motion and do something about it.

Obviously it hasn't happened yet, but if Trump wins, and you could connect the voters to the internet then that would a real world consequence.
But you see SJWs and other groups getting in front of the UN, getting games and movies and comics changed. Those are real world effects that right wing groups don't seem to be able to make.
>>
>>1002330
Trump gets most of his exposure on TV m8.

If you want to look at politicians who are big on the internet but completely irrelevant IRL look at Bernie or Ron Paul.
>>
>>1002321
Feels good man.jpg.

>>1002325
It's not so much /pol/ specifically as this idea that people have to be "politically correct" and the construction of subject around that

>>1002338
Uh
>>
>>1002331

Most actual far-right movements, parties and groups are pretty small. /pol/ has given the far-right more popularity, but they're still relegated to fringe internet groups, and /pol/acks themselves are braindead neets on welfare that only know to communicate through memes, so they can't do much except call everyone who disagree with them on the internet cucks

SJWs have more power because they're a deformed succesor of civil right movements and social theories developed in academic circles and are somewhat capable to actually function in society, so they're taken more seriously. Plus they have the whole "we want to bring equality and create a better society" thing.

TL;DR: "If you pretend to be good, the world takes you very seriously. If you pretend to be bad, it doesn't. Such is the astounding stupidity of optimism." —Oscar Wilde
>>
>>1002264
>history of the internet
...You studied this? Who even teaches those classes? Certainly not 90-year-old professors who don't know how email works.
>>
>>1002440
As with all new areas of study, it was likely forded by someones who crafts the curriculum themselves and who is judged by people of the closest relatable disciplines
>>
>>1002440
>>1002450
It's almost as if history is an evolving discipline
>>
>>1002264
hey so anybody in art history here can give me some sources on art patronage and crowdfunding of art pieces and music compositions
>>
>>1002463
Assassin's Creed 2
>>
>>1002463
Bourdieu maybe?
>>
>>1002482
thanks, market of symbolic goods seems interesting
>>
>>1002461
>>1002450
Yeah, I was just curious since I've taken classes on "internet law" and it's almost always by people my own age
>>
>>1002502
Yeah The Field of Cultural Production is a fucking good book although it takes a while to get into
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.