[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, /his/, tell me everything you know about the Roman conquest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
Alright, /his/, tell me everything you know about the Roman conquest of Greece.
>>
The Greeks didnt stand a chance against the Romans
t. Hellenophile
>>
Why macedonia, once being a great empire fell down to just a small state to be conquered by Roman?
>>
>>1001362
I know literally nothing about it. Go on, tell me.
>>
>>1001362
Diadochi wars split up the empire, years of campaigning had left Macedonia without sufficient forces to defend itself, and it hadn't adapted to the new military tactics of the romans
>>
>>1001379
But what actually happened? What were the lead-ups, the cause of the war? What happened during it? What tales of bravery and heroism lies there within? What were the follow-ups?
>>
>>1001384
Don't quote me on this but from what I've read some cuck Greek league asked for help against Macedon since Philip V had recently gained a nice amount of land together with Antiochus III who was the Seleucid monarch. The Greek league were scared of being next so they called for Roman help.
>>
>Conquest
Surely you meant "Liberation".
>>
>>1001384
Romans kept getting dragged into Greek affairs, eventually got sick of it and just conquered them.
>>
>>1001546
The Fourth Macedonian War, fought from 150 BC to 148 BC, was fought against a Macedonian pretender to the throne, named Andriscus, who was again destabilizing Greece by attempting to re-establish the old Kingdom.[27] The Romans swiftly defeated the Macedonians at the Second battle of Pydna. In response, the Achaean League in 146 BC mobilized for a new war against Rome. This is sometimes referred to as the Achaean War, and was noted for its short duration and its timing right after the fall of Macedonia. Until this time, Rome had only campaigned in Greece in order to fight Macedonian forts, allies or clients. Rome's military supremacy was well established, having defeated Macedonia and its vaunted Phalanx already on 3 occasions, and defeating superior numbers against the Seleucids in Asia. The Achaean leaders almost certainly knew that this declaration of war against Rome was hopeless, as Rome had triumphed against far stronger and larger opponents, the Roman legion having proved its supremacy over the Macedonian phalanx. Polybius blames the demagogues of the cities of the league for inspiring the population into a suicidal war. Nationalist stirrings and the idea of triumphing against superior odds motivated the league into this rash decision. The Achaean League was swiftly defeated, and, as an object lesson, Rome utterly destroyed the city of Corinth in 146 BC, the same year that Carthage was destroyed.[28] After nearly a century of constant crisis management in Greece, which always led back to internal instability and war when Rome pulled out, Rome decided to divide Macedonia into two new Roman provinces, Achaea and Epirus.
>>
It's such a shame Rome and Sparta never met each other on a battlefield, except for that one Spartan general who helped Carthaginians to crush Romans during the First Punic War.
>>
Sulla tore shit up. Then Pontus.

>>1001483
>cuck Greek league

You'd have thought the whole Delian """"""League""""" ordeal would've taught the Greeks to be a bit suspicious about joining the EU.
>>
>>1001588
It worked well with Persians though.
>>
>>1001586
By the time Rome was anything Sparta was nothing
>>
>>1001602
Yeah, I know, Spartan-led Peloponnesian League would be good to.
>>
>>1001591
>It worked well with the Persians though.
Only for a short time, and then the Persians wrecked ********Athenian Empire******** as a result.
>>
>>1002454
> then the Persians wrecked ********Athenian Empire******** as a result.

What are you talking about? The Athenians absolutely trashed the Persians in the 5th century. It was the Spartans that crushed the Athenian Empire with the help of Persian cash.
>>
>>1003110
Athenian armies being routed and annihilated in Egypt by the Persians marked the start of the decline of the Delian League after the failed siege of Memphis. The Corinthian War and so on only magnified things negatively for Athens afterwards.

Reversal of fortunes were so massive and Persians strengthen that both the Spartans and Athenians appealed to the Persians as mediators.
>>
>>1001058

surely, you mean philhellene
>>
>>1003147
just before the sicily expedition athens was still powerfull even after the plague in the first part of the war.the peloponnesian war started on even footing for both athens and sparta.when spartans started to choke athens in the sea mainly by persian gold and wrong athenian strategy made the things difficult for athenian hegemony.And finally after the tragedy of the sicilian expedition and the loss of so many men and navy personel the war could only have one outcome
>>
>>1001483
That was the second Macedonian war, the first was fought because Macedon tried to profit from Roman losses at the hands of Hannibal.
>>1001379
>it hadn't adapted to the new military tactics of the romans
It wasn't just that, it was the fact that they (and the other Diadochoi) had regressed tactically, to the point where they were using almost exclusively heavy cavalry and heavy phalangites. The Diadochoi had almost completely abandoned lighter armed troops and gone back to the older Greek "spectacle" style of hoplite warfare, only with longer pikes. Lack of lighter troops meant they couldn't effectively screen and protect the flanks, and that coupled with gross incompetence by Macedon led them to fight on uneven terrain that rendered their phalanx useless because it couldn't close up properly, so they got slaughtered by the more mobile Romans.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.