[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General critique please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
This is a little class project I'm working on.

I'm struggling with the placement of the text beneath the title. I prefer the overall composition of the left one, but the text doesn't fit within the light beam so I moved things around on the right side.

General criticism also welcome.
>>
File: ufo.jpg (18 KB, 238x320) Image search: [Google]
ufo.jpg
18 KB, 238x320
I think the font doesn't go very well with everything. Maybe you should try a different font (a bolder, simpler one that stands tall and doesn't bend to the side), and use a different shade of red (if you really want to use red) for the "ABOVE" text. The two fonts are good on their own, but they don't go well together, try to balance them out with other fonts.

Also - why is the random light beam that's coming from the city directed at the UFO? Shouldn't the UFO be doing that? And if the beam really must be coming from the city at the UFO, shouldn't the spaceship have a bolder shadow-light contrast?

Other than that, I think the colors are pretty nice and that you have a good idea in your head, it just needs a little improvement in my opinion. Move the title and the text around a bit, try some new options, i suggest you move the text to the bottom right corner, but I might easily be wrong.

Keep working on it, it's good work!
>>
make the spotlight one color (that yellow color)

put the words on top, black on white, as if they are snipplets from a document

use a typewriter / slab font

you're welcome
>>
File: received_10208414056049313.jpg (84 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
received_10208414056049313.jpg
84 KB, 1440x900
Can you check out my wordpress site ive uploaded some of my work.
>>
>>268518

Forgot to paste the site

https://pewpewlazorsblog.wordpress.com
>>
>>268519
you need to work a lot harder anon
>>
File: imho.png (132 KB, 961x681) Image search: [Google]
imho.png
132 KB, 961x681
>>268389
>>
>>268566

Ye? You think they are bad or in need of much refinement/repair?
>>
>>268573
I believe the title is supposed to be "Above Top Secret," followed by the caption. At least, that's how I read it.
>>
>>268668
I don't think they are bad, I just believe they are a bit stiff and not very elegant. I can see effort and good thought process, but time is key for your style development. Try to free your hand more and try things you might not be comfortable with, practise. You have spirit!
>>
>>268389
Love it, has this authentic '50s book look. I'm not a pro though.
>>
>>268389
Scrap the text below the title.
>>
>>268389
Redraw the UFO in the same style as the rest of the picture. Simplify the light. Switch the subtitle and author fonts to roboto. Make the background color darker and less saturated. switch out your blacks with dark grays.
>>
>>268389
I Think if you move the small Text to the Right Side of the Light. make it White. Move the Skyline a Little Up to have more black on the bottom. and then Fit the Authors Name There in BIgger Txt. Would look better. I Think.
>>
File: Untitled-13.jpg (3 MB, 1750x2625) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-13.jpg
3 MB, 1750x2625
currently a junior in college. Here is a class project, the restriction was it could only be type. What do you all think?
>>
File: ab.jpg (18 KB, 82x62) Image search: [Google]
ab.jpg
18 KB, 82x62
>>268389
This is physically painful to look at. Holy shit, do not put red on blue or green.
>>
>>269211
agreed
>>
>>269204
What's the point of the letters you chose? What's the intent supposed to be in you design, in choosing to create the skyline with type rather than drawing it out?

And no, the reason shouldn't be "because I had a restriction for my project." The choice needs to be one driven by intent and meaning, otherwise it fails. If you were trying to communicate something more with the stylistic choice for the skyline, that needs to be clear.
>>
>>269249
Wow, you make a great point. That was really informative. Thanks!
>>
>>268389
I actually like the one on the right far more in every aspect. It looks resolved.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.