[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books, books and books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: ThinkType.png (2 MB, 1053x1278) Image search: [Google]
ThinkType.png
2 MB, 1053x1278
Can we get a book thread going?
Have you read any books that in some way improved your work?
>>
File: book-cover.gif (9 KB, 366x516) Image search: [Google]
book-cover.gif
9 KB, 366x516
This book i got in first year, still use it.
>>
File: L1010081-1190x791.jpg (79 KB, 1190x791) Image search: [Google]
L1010081-1190x791.jpg
79 KB, 1190x791
>>237976
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!Z1kRhBDC!IGMME02K5eJUDl0m10Br3w

Josef Müller-Brockmann - Grid Systems in Graphic Design
Robert Bringhurst - The Elements of the Typographic Style
Drew de Soto - Know Your Onions
Sean Hall - This Means This, This Means That: A Users Guide to Semiotics
Edo Smitshuijzen - Sculpting Type An Introduction To CNC Typography
Jeff Gothelf & Josh Seiden - Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
M. Itkonen & H. Uppa Eds - Resolutions : Responsibility in Graphic Design
Richard Hollis - About Graphic Design
Paul Elliman & Maxine Kopsa & Irma Boom & Will Holder - Dutch Resource : Collaborative Exercises in Graphic Design
Victionary - You are here : a New Approach to Signage and Wayfinding
Kathryn Coates & Andy Ellison - An Introduction to Information Design
Andrew Blauvelt & Koert Van Mensvoort - Conditional Design Workbook
Keith Finch - Paper Engineering for Designers : Pop-up Skills and Techniques
Timothy Samara - Making and Breaking the Grid
Stefan Kanchev - Logo Book
Julius Wiedemann - Logo Design Vol. 1 2 2 Tashen
The Listomaniacs - Listomania: A World of Fascinating Facts in Graphic Detail
Mike Monteiro - Design is a Job
Victor Papanek - Design for the Real World
>>
>>237976
pdf please?
>>
>>237953
Use the catalog, there already is a book thread.
>>
>>237992

literally just googled it and the entire fucking book was on page 1

try harder
>>
File: ny711.jpg (21 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ny711.jpg
21 KB, 400x300
i once saw a book for sale online that was all about typography on new york city trucks and vans
sorta these types of pictures of the doors and sides of the vehicles but no graffiti, does anyone know what i'm talking about? it was released in 2015 or 2014 maybe but i know it's recent
>>
>>238091
This
>>
>>237994
how do i use the catalog?
>>
File: pain.jpg (102 KB, 903x767) Image search: [Google]
pain.jpg
102 KB, 903x767
>reading books on grid design
>can't get my head around it
>all my grid stuff looks like absolute garbage that has elements that are either too tiny or too big

oh god does anyone have tips to getting this? perhaps i'm too dumb for this shit.
>>
File: holyholy.jpg (836 KB, 2117x800) Image search: [Google]
holyholy.jpg
836 KB, 2117x800
>>237953

My sacred texts. Light in dark times, at least the first three. The "Lateral Thinking" one was helpful during academic years.
>>
File: frontz.jpg (164 KB, 640x905) Image search: [Google]
frontz.jpg
164 KB, 640x905
>>238782

First of all, do something interesting for you... Keep exercising and experimenting. Respect the rules, break the rules.

First years my problem was about contents. Designing layouts for luxury real estate agencies, pharmaceutical packaging and stupid editorial magazines (with pre-fixed masters and styles) full of shitty ads and interviews. Really. Fucking. Boring.

Aside from that, I started designing random shit from own photographs, notes and thoughts on multiple fake projects. Then I found a good employer (now friend) who's as passionate as I am. We're going very well these times and found a good balance.

No comparison between what I learned academically/in books rather than what I achieved experimenting.

Another tip: there's time for booze and time for studying and experimenting, if you're brave enough to say "no" to your friends or gf giving all yourself in front of InDesign (night after night after night), you'll succeed. If not, you aren't passioned enough.

Also, if you speak french, think about buying the second book I mentioned here:

>>238784

Cheers
>>
>>238787
alright mate, i'll do that

also i don't know french but i'll keep the name around if i do get to learning french soon like i planned
>>
>>238784

Know where I can find Design Anrachy for free? Can't find on google
>>
>>237980
Thanks very much.

I can't seem to find ">Kathryn Coates & Andy Ellison - An Introduction to Information Design", am I blind?
>>
Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst improved my work, and his less-known book Carving the Elements inspired me to think wider deeper and make new things
>>
>>238787
>Another tip: there's time for booze and time for studying and experimenting, if you're brave enough to say "no" to your friends or gf giving all yourself in front of InDesign (night after night after night), you'll succeed. If not, you aren't passioned enough.

I disagree. I think you need to be real with yourself about what your goals are, work hard, get excited, be tenacious through art blocks or shitty drafts, all that... but don't lock yourself in your room for fear of not being passionate enough or falling behind. There's a lot to be learned from the outside world, even just socializing. If you go to clubs and get trashed every night or play video games 24/7 you're obviously wasting time, but booze and drugs and coffee dates and community events and art galleries and the way streetlights look in a line at 3 am all have value in learning to make better things.
>>
>>239938

Of course you've to, since "the truth is out there". I love to completely walk away from projects, deadlines or doubts. Sometimes I found the answer through the bottom of the glass or after an LSD trip.

The point was about taking the time to learn and improve instead of waiting things getting fixed by themselves. Especially at the beginning.
>>
>>237980
>https://mega.nz/#F!Z1kRhBDC!IGMME02K5eJUDl0m10Br3w

Really awesome, thanks for sharing!!!
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.