[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for advice and work in graphic design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Graphicnewfag.jpg (139 KB, 491x494) Image search: [Google]
Graphicnewfag.jpg
139 KB, 491x494
This thread is for you who want to help a rookie logo designer with everything there is to design.

Hey /gd! I'm an 18 y/o student currently taking courses in graphic design and what I mainly enjoy is making logos and that is something I want to improve in. To put it short; In order for me to pass the course and graduate I have to document my journey as a rookie in the "graphic design market" as well as actually do work for people. Mainly I am creating this thread because I want (if lucky) to receive jobs in order to improve myself. The jobs will of course be free and I am also interested in how you started out in the business as far as how you got/get your clients. I am also interested in typography and you are welcome to share your favorite fonts & logos. Thank you in advance!
>>
>>252495
>Mainly I am creating this thread because I want (if lucky) to receive jobs in order to improve myself. The jobs will of course be free
Whatever you do, don't work for the newfags that don't know how our board works and show up requesting stuff.
Given your situation and that you are asking /gd/ for work, you should lurk >>>/swr/ for some projects to work on.

>how you got/get your clients
I started doing show posters and album covers for my own bands, later for friends bands, later people started asking me to do shit for their bands and it kind of snowballed from there.
Basically, do shit you like and try to put it out for other people to see it.
Also, go outside, meet people and socialize (I've met a couple of clients smoking weed before entering a show).
If your work is good enough, mouth to mouth advertising should be enough, at least it worked for me when I started.
I'm 30 now, by no means wealthy, but I do ok, working freelance, doing shit I like for the past 7 years.

Godspeed you anon!
>>
>>252525
>for my own bands

So like imagined/random personal briefs?
>>
>>252545
>So like imagined/random personal briefs?
More like
>We have a show in 2 weeks, should make a poster for it or no ojne will show up.
Find something from your life that could benefit from some decent /gd/ and just start working on it.
>>
File: vanschneider.jpg (76 KB, 1344x497) Image search: [Google]
vanschneider.jpg
76 KB, 1344x497
I went to a school that has a good rep in the industry for actually handing out real briefs from real clients to the students. Having said that I had an pretty average portfolio when i was done.

Went on to become visual design intern at a small web agency and improved my portfolio a lot. Learned a lot by seeing how my creative director handled clients during meetings.

Got a job at a different well known web agency. I was tired of doing web design at this point but accepted the job to pay them billz. Won my first web design awards during that time. After the awards i started doing freelance work on the side. Clients started to contact me on Behance/Dribbble/e-mail. In the end I quit my job at that agency and started finding fun projects I actually enjoyed on my own. I still do boring projects from time to time though.

>Bottomline
Do good shit and clients will come to you. You just have to train your eye for details and the only way to do it is to do a lot of work. Also what the other anon said, meet people and socialize.
>>
If you are a social inept person and not some outgoing person that strives off socializing this field of expertise is not for you. If you are socially akward don't bother.
>>
32 year old /g/ent here....

Is it too late for me to get good at design for front end dev?
>>
>>252653

Don't know.

But you can start learning by just looking at ads, commercials, etc. targeted at "normal" people. (So no graphics cards, computer games, or whacky spaceship gamer computer cases or other "cool" tech targeted at computer folk, those are absolutely horrendous)

Typography is very important, learn how to use different kind of fonts and what their common applications are and their correct use.
>>
>>252653
absolutely not, all of the resources you need are out there on the web and you can become quite proficient once you learn the basics. The most important thing is that you're setting aside time for it and make goals for yourself. You can learn a lot simply by assigning yourself a project and learning every step of the way. To become good at it you'll have to devote a lot of time to it and have a good eye for this stuff.
>>
>>252658
>>252659

Thanks! God, this place is much nicer than /g/
>>
>>252653
Many front end devs are entirely self taught. You can get employed on at-home skills and then spend more time while working to learn the heavier back-end and architecture stuff if you're interested. HTML, CSS, and javascript are very attainable and accessible compared to diving into back-end and object oriented programming (which js is but you'll get there slowly). I know 2 front end devs who don't even really understand OOP, the most difficult leap for beginners, and they fiiiine because their html/css/professional workflow is efficient and their design sense is good.

If you're good at it it's also in demand in most places so the barrier for entry is a bit lower than some professions. People are scared of code.
>>
>>252495
Hey Op

Not a newfag but if your looking for work I'm willing to pay and work with you in designing a logo/brand plus write up a review of your work to attach to any handins up to you give me a email address if your interested and we can talk more
>>
>>252651
This is true if you have to deal with the clients directly but if you work at a studio you only have to deal with your boss.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.