[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /gd/. I'm a senior undergrad studying design and comp
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: Designbolaget_Nørgaard_10.jpg (350 KB, 1150x760) Image search: [Google]
Designbolaget_Nørgaard_10.jpg
350 KB, 1150x760
Hi /gd/. I'm a senior undergrad studying design and comp sci. Web and interface design are my strong points (probably all the time spent with computers) but I'd really like to improve at print design. I struggle with things like brochures and magazine layouts in comparison. I can make them look *fine*, but not often great.

I already have the technical knowledge of how to use InDesign, but I feel like I'm not always really using right (if that makes sense). I've read the Vignelli Canon and Grid Systems by Muller-Brockmann, but I'm searching for something more in-depth, whether it be firsthand experience from /gd/, a lengthy text on using baseline grids, or something else you guys would recommend. I feel like I'm at a wall, and usually when I get stuck like this, I need to read and practice to get over it. I don't have any print commissions right now, so I thought I might read for now instead.

Dumping inspo in the meantime. First few are by Designbogalet.
>>
File: designbolaget_NYCarlsberg_1.jpg (406 KB, 1150x760) Image search: [Google]
designbolaget_NYCarlsberg_1.jpg
406 KB, 1150x760
I think vertical rhythm is something I struggle with from working so much with web. Web designers have 100 ways to craft horizontal grids and an endless scroll to cheat verticality with. Obviously, the same methods aren't conducive to print whatsoever.
>>
Read the Elements of Typographic Style by Bringhurst. It has hard knowledge on type setting and page setting.
>>
File: Designbolaget_P_Nordic_05.jpg (219 KB, 1150x760) Image search: [Google]
Designbolaget_P_Nordic_05.jpg
219 KB, 1150x760
>>274846

Great. I just grabbed a pdf of it online; will start reading today.
>>
File: Designbolaget_HaywardGallery_10.jpg (482 KB, 1150x760) Image search: [Google]
Designbolaget_HaywardGallery_10.jpg
482 KB, 1150x760
If anyone wants to talk about their methods and workflow with InDesign, specifically, that's something I would be interested in also.
>>
>>274856
Well I don't what level you are at with InDesign so what I say might not be all that useful but whenever I start a new project for something editorial based. I always make sure I establish my editorial system. So this would include page number, rules, headers, sub headers, etc. Things that would be on the majority of the pages of the editorial I would then create master pages for the relevant pieces. I also can stress enough the importance of paragraph rules and how efficient they make your workflow.
>>
>>274858
paragraph styles *
>>
>>274858

I have a good understanding of setting up paragraph styles, master pages, etc, but nailing a really solid grid format eludes me. I want to use baseline grids more instead of just columns and rows. How do people do the math on that? Is it just a lot of practice and fucking up that has to come first?
>>
>>274897
Oh right I see, I remember watching a set of Lynda tutorials on an introduction to InDesign and the instructor spent a while discussing exactly what you are after. Like the math behind setting up a baseline grid, how a typeface should compliment another in relation to its x height, etc. I can't quite recall the name of the course right now because it was years ago but yeah it describes what you are after.
>>
>>274858
are you saying you create a host of empty paragraph style containers for editorial elements like headers etc.?

then do you just define them as you go?
>>
>>274918

I just found out I get Lynda for free through my Uni. This is a huge help, thanks!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.