[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3D W is giving me a headache
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: thisfuckingletter.png (101 KB, 867x922) Image search: [Google]
thisfuckingletter.png
101 KB, 867x922
Okay, so I was trying something in Ai before just to learn how to do it and to get familiar with the program. I didn't think the task I chose was hard and that it is a good idea for learning the basics. However, I cannot find anything useful on the Adobe page since I have no idea what to look for. When I try, their names for tools and workflows are confusing to me and, ironically, it is not really well illustrated. I have failed so often now that I am fucking mad. I really need someone to explain the best practice how to accomplish this:

I used the letter W that you see in pic related. I chose it because it has intersections. As you can see, as of now it is still just flat. What I wanted to do is add a kind of 3D effect to it by giving it a gradient and some depth (will recolor, it's a standard gradient I just used for the exercise).
To achieve this, I want the paths to go above each other, so that the "W" kind of looks like a spring, if you know what I mean.

For example, in the middle where the strokes meet and just merge, I want the path coming from the left to be above the part that comes back down. (That one should go below said line.) At the end to the right, where it is merging again, I want the path to go above itself once more, creating a round tip instead of the flat merge.

I hope someone understands what I mean by that and can help me out here. I just don't get how the tools work and how I can cut the letter into shapes. Hell, I don't even know how to make the closed paths that are already there longer without fucking everything up.

(I realize sometimes you can copy/paste but with drop shadows, gradients or opacity involved, I would rather not copy it multiple times to create the "illusion". Also, it's about getting to know the program, so a workaround is fine as long as it's generally applicable.)
I can't believe I don't even understand how to extend/cut an existing, closed path. Sorry that I am apparently THIS dumb.

Thank you all, guys!
>>
File: 1464150987318.jpg (48 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1464150987318.jpg
48 KB, 500x333
>>273585
damn blog. tldr? did you tried with a 3d software? you can do it with c4d in seconds (spline + extrude nurbs or sweep nurbs) however illustrator 3d extrude & bevel could give more control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUaR2lt2WGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqrz95xlQX8
>>
>>273594
Not my first language so I kind of scrambled. Anyway, I found the solution how to do it. Line tool to "connect" the paths (although they are still both seperate entities then).
Then Pathfinder, divide the shapes and you're pretty much done alread except for the color. Found multiple ways but none of the others worked consistently for each part of the letter. Don't know if this is the best practice, though.

Also thanks for your suggestion but this is mostly about learning to work with paths, not so much about the final result. Looks rad though!
>>
>>273627
scrambled?! I meant rambled
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.