[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Résumé and cover letter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: Screenshot_91.png (677 KB, 921x515) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_91.png
677 KB, 921x515
I know I'm a bad designer but I would like to know why
>>
File: image.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
285 KB, 1920x1080
>>273053
This is bait.

This is now a bait thread.
>>
>>273056
its not I swear
>>
>>273053
>>270947
>>270947
>>
That font is laughably bad. The colors look like a 4 year old did it. Just stop. I'd shred that the second I saw it.
>>
>>273053
It seriously looks like the resume of a 12 year old.
>>
>>273053
kys
>>
>>273053
>MS Paint
>>
I understand it is bad, guys. I want to know how i could do better next time
>>
It is out of fashion, but to me it looks kinda cute and childlish. How much of a design do you actually know? Go and see what others are doing, find some patterns, understand what works and what doesn't, use you logic, learn some more theory. There are plenty of design sites you should keep monitoring and filling up your inspiration folders with content from them. Also, make multiple iterations, when you finish, start over. And over again.
>>
File: CV spoof.png (71 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
CV spoof.png
71 KB, 1240x1754
Posting here in order not to make another useless thread. Just finished making mine for a study thing, anything you'd change?
>>
File: linuxmarketing.jpg (305 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
linuxmarketing.jpg
305 KB, 1280x1024
>>273053
>illustrator
>designer
>looks like it was designed by gradeschoolers
>OS proficiency includes "PC"
>coding in blender art

What are you even doing?
>>
>>273121
>I want to know how i could do better next time
Start over. Completely.

Be thankful that any employer who saw this probably got distracted by the terrible design to remember your name and/or the fact that you filled it with total bs.
>>
>>273131
pretty good anon, could use some breathing room and a spot color
>>
>>273176
>BS
in what form?
>>
>>273180
Thank you for the constructive criticism
:^)
>>
>>273175
I probably should have mentioned im a sophomore in highschool
>>
>>273125
Thanks for the help!
I hadnt thought to start an inspiration folder
>>
>>273096
;^)
>>
>>273131
This is how a resume is meant to look, you don't add too much design bullshit to one, any employer isn't going to be impressed by your flashy fonts and logos in the corner or splashes of colour to 'stand out', all you want is a nice clean simple layout that's easy to read. If it's for a GD position you show off your design skills in your portfolio and don't have it crowding your resume up.
>>
>>273192
Thank you. I'll that in mind when i redo it
>>
>>273056
Kek was thinking the same.

>>273057
You start being a less terrible "designer" when you use a more professional font. That comic sans is awful OP.
>>
>>273248
I know, I feel ashamed using it. I just couldn't find one that went with my personal logo. (I guess at that point it must mean I should redo my logo)
>>
>>273250
Well, test some fonts. You can use sites like dafont .com
If all else fails use Helvetica as last resort
>>
>>273251
yeah Dafont is were I get most of my fonts. didn't think to look this time around for some reason though.
>>
Im not kidding when I say the tagger signature I used in middle school was more mature and good looking than your current logo.
>>
>>273263
I wouldn't doubt it. I fucking hate my logo. just cant think of anything good.
>>
File: ThisIsHumorousToMe.jpg (7 KB, 249x188) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsHumorousToMe.jpg
7 KB, 249x188
>>273264
flatten out the logo, something monochromatic that you can use as a base. I know you're an animator and you want the cartoon style, but its good to have a clean professional base logo, and then get creative with it from there.

Also the hard lines on the border and headers contrast bad wit the whole rounded look of the font and logo. Pick a style and stick with it. The blue is also very juvenile and could have more impact if it was a bit darker and stronger.
>>
>>273322
Thanks man. I appreciate it when people actually try to help out instead of telling me to kill myself (which of course I should but I already have myself for that kek)
>>
File: b8MasterLogo.png (6 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
b8MasterLogo.png
6 KB, 500x500
>>273338
No problem m8, im still in high school so maybe I haven't gotten fucked in the ass enough to develop that seasoned dickery only true gd veterans can know.
anyways here's something to go off of best of luck to you man.
>>
>>273264
>"I fucking hate my logo. just cant think of anything good."

Then don't include it.

Here's my analysis:

>My Goal
Unnecessary. You're applying for a job or an internship. Your goals are obvious: git gud and make fat stacks of cash. A goal/objective paragraph is for your cover letter, and only if the employer asks for one.

>Technical Skills
You can save some space by being a little vague- CS6 implies photoshop/illustrator/indesign; everyone knows what's in MS Office; Epson scanner is bullshit and you know it; unless you're the toppest of shit with a camera, don't bother.

>Employment
You have no freelance to brag about? Even if it's something small and seemingly insignificant?

>Education
Ultimately, where you went to COLLEGE is unimportant if your portfolio speaks for you. Don't bother putting your high school or udemy- it's not impressive, and comes off amateurish.

>Contact Me!
No hiring manager will take an exclamation mark seriously. Drop that shit.

>Your Cover Letter
You don't need to include a date.
I can't read the text easily due to this shitty photograph, but I can tell that it's waaaay to fucking long. Be succinct, and don't waste the reader's time.
Do your research, and focus the salutations to a specific person, and avoid general titles like "Human Resources." When in doubt, "Dear Sir or Madam" is acceptable.

>Font Comment:
Your font choices are poor. You should know by now that MS Comic Sans is an unprofessional and untrendy font.
You're never going to get a straight answer on what's an acceptable font (especially here), but I'd recommend a nice, friendly sans for your section titles, and a reliable serif for your body text.

>Final thoughts
You're clearly young, so start reading, start practicing and imitating, and keep seeking critique.

And for godsakes, please post a revised version for our scrutiny. Show us that you're doing your due diligence by taking any practical advice we give while doing your own research. Show us your growth!
>>
File: outlook-graphic-design-jobs.jpg (53 KB, 419x324) Image search: [Google]
outlook-graphic-design-jobs.jpg
53 KB, 419x324
Do you have to be good-looking to be a graphic designer?
>>
>>273444
Like with everything in life, it makes it easier. If you're a ugly beast of a person then you better make up for it with skills.
>>
>>273184
Well that makes sense, then.
You have a lot to learn, but you're still ahead of the game. I like your drive.

The resume you posted literally looked so bad. Also, replace the filler stuff with actual skills. "Hard worker" will already be expected of you. Like others said, check out design theory. Read some books. Don't spend too much time on "inspiration" websites because a large majority of those posts are garbage that's just following the current trends, and if you try to keep up with theater trends, you'll always be behind.

Make your designs timeless. Do good work.
>>
>>273053
Comic sans, what a meme
plain
You probably shouldn't start this with "Dear", it's not very professional mayreo
>>
>>273131
whats the font on that?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.