[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Design Trends and Design Memes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 3c0c5230335165.561e474077e2e.jpg (1 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
3c0c5230335165.561e474077e2e.jpg
1 MB, 1200x800
This year I've noticed a new trend in graphic design , it has that feeling of "high level" design which I like it but at the same time there a few pieces that are just "meh"..

It seems like every graphic design even for web looks like some editorial stuff and they play a lot with type but I honestly don't get that part, most of the time that just looks like they just tossed some random letters into it and distorted them kek.

I see a lot of neon colors and IK blue, wiggles and milano inspired patterns, I look at it and I feel like every shit I've done to my portfolio feels outdated, but I believe I don't have enough sensibility to create my own "avant-garde" design, they seem to have a retro inspo but look timeless at the same time

I'm sorry I don't know how to express myself exactly and language is a bit of a barrier here.

Bottom line is, could you guys help me out to decode this style? Post inspo pictures, articles, books, grids, colors, links, whichever you think it's helpfulll.

I want to reach that higher level of design but I don't know exactly how
>>
http://trendlist.org/
>>
>>272231
you are six years late
>>
>>272236
Thanks I found that website a couple of months ago, but honestly I also found lots of trash there.

>>272237
Well okay, can you show me some 2016/17 Trends?! I'm kind of a man cave on this things..
>>
>>272231
Why would you want follow trends you fucking moron! That’s stupid!!
>>
>>272265
You're right, thats stupid , but I haven't found my artistic idendity yet.. I wish i did tho, I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet , but I'm pretty sure thats not going to happen by doing same old shitty design. Don't get me wrong I'm decent in what I do, I just feel that my work is outdated
>>
File: haw-lin.jpg (90 KB, 500x608) Image search: [Google]
haw-lin.jpg
90 KB, 500x608
Graphic design is a wide, a very wide world. Some of the things that people call "trends" are only done by a few people, but they appear bigger than they are because they get clustered by websites like trendlist; websites which both make up trends from nothing, and doesn't account for important ones. I think more than analysing the design scene to find what things are trendy, it's more interesting to meta-analyse and to see how trend are discovered and curated.
What even is a trend ? If it's something that's decided by the mainstream, then flat design is still the main trend. If it's decided by academia, then surely critical design is a trend. And if it's decided by hype, then both flat design and critical design are probably already over.

As for "2016 aesthetic" pic related is what I think of: very hyped studio Haw-Lin, curated by very hyped blog Back Catalogue.
But again, is it representative of all design, or even of most design ? Not a all.
>>
>>272270
What do you call critical design? There is no visual esthetic attached to the term as far as I know…
>>
>>272238
digitalartsonline (. ) co (.) uk
gdusa (.) com
aiga (.) org
those are good places to start. You really should search for this stuff yourself and absorb everything, keep playing, keep sketching. The only way you're going to get better at creating is actually doing the act.
>>
>>272316
Do you know the term or at least tried to google it ? There is a visual esthetic to it, and it's VERY recognizable.
>>
File: huggablemushroom.jpg (48 KB, 400x602) Image search: [Google]
huggablemushroom.jpg
48 KB, 400x602
>>272342
Yes, thank you, I do know the term… It was introduced by Anthony Dunne and Fiona Raby. But what they do looks like pic related and as they said “It was more of an attitude than everything else, a position rather than a methodology. […] For many years the term slipped into the background but recently it has resurfaced as a part of growing discourse in design research, exhibitions, and even articles in the mainstream press. This is good but the danger is it becomes a design label rather than an activity, a style rather than an approach”

Looks like they were right. Point is, critical design is just using design as a critic, as a way to make people question issues. You don’t have to do metahaven-like stuff to do that and it’s not because you use metahaven “style” that you are doing critical design.
>>
>>272231
>Listen to a good amount of Yung Lean and Vaporwave
>Absorb aesthetics
>kill self
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.