[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just how effective is it to use "made up work" in your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 0b02a29252131.560cb2b33254e.jpg (176 KB, 527x766) Image search: [Google]
0b02a29252131.560cb2b33254e.jpg
176 KB, 527x766
Just how effective is it to use "made up work" in your portfolio. By that I mean work you've created for fun. Logos and brand identities not made for real clients?

Been working as an in-house corporate designer for a few years and would like to switch over to do more "fun" design. Figured a design or marketing agency is what I should aim for. My work is a bit more corporate looking and I feel this might detract from agencies.
>>
>>271872
Have you heard of Aaron Draplin of DDC? There's a video interview of him somewhere on the web and he's said that personal work/for fun projects are what he wants to see most from people in order to know what they love to do most.
>>
>>271872
Depending on the place you wanna get to, it could be very important, in my case it earned me a couple calls for freelance and agency work.
>>
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see way more of your own, personal, "fun" projects than shit done for real clients. Mostly for reasons >>271878 said.
>>
>>271914
Not OP but this gave me confidence to upload more "passion projects" to my portfolio. Thanks senpaitachi
>>
I've wondered this for days now. I'm a student and I want to start doing some work already. The problem is that I have absolutely nothing to put in my portfolio besides some shit I've done for the lols. Should I put those in and make them pass as legit in an attempt to fool some dumbass employer into hiring me or should I make it obvious that they are non-comissioned pieces?
>>
>>271919
Make it obvious as many interviewers will ask "is this real work or a case study?" If you're a student fresh out of college, the work you did in class should be fine.
>>
On this topic, are there "fun" works that one SHOULDN'T include? Either because they're a turn-off or no one cares for? Besides the usual nothing 18+ and no anime/comic work (but cartoon work I'm assuming is OK as long as it isn't homogenous?).

Should I include my own business card as a portfolio piece?

I'm wondering if there are some things I'm not considering.
>>
>>271968
Something like a business card might be fine on your About page. I personally don't see a problem if you want to make a portfolio page for just your branding and how you've come up with your logo. I get a ton of questions about my logo.
>>
>>271968
uh, almost everyone include 18+ work as long they've done a good, tasteful job. You're working with and for grown men. Student thesis on queerness, body posity and sex toys are very popular.

Business card is okay if its not your only branding project. I would include all and any drawing/illustrations in its own page. Always avoid putting early student work, even if you had cool ideas.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 320x371
>>271990
>men
>>
>>271990
I've done a lot of poster work for things like Evangelion or Journey. It's not too weeby looking but should I lump them all into a "hobby work" page or does it have its place in demonstrating my illustration?
>>
>>272027
They shouldn't be among your main projects no. I personally wouldn't show them at all, but it depends how those posters fit into your overall style and the kind of job you're going for. I'll repeat: you're working with and for grown men. Will they like to see your anime poster ?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.