[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my portfolio for Uni wasn't good enough. I made a 1)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: duck.jpg (999 KB, 800x1129) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
999 KB, 800x1129
So my portfolio for Uni wasn't good enough. I made a

1) Personal logo
2) Two alternative movie posters
3) A cafe poster
4) A business card with front and back
5) A music album cover with front and back
6) A pet magazine cover and a fashion magazine cover

So I'm gonna try again at another university... What else should I include or replace?
>>
>>269416
Got it online? I'm applying myself and curious to how well I do compared to someone else who's new :)
>>
>>269416
Judging by your work you need to further refine your style/work. Good luck getting into Uni.

What country are you in?

In my experience a smaller portfolio of consisting of only your best work is better than trying to create a large portfolio.

The best thing I could tell you to do would be to discuss the theory of your work to the person reviewing it. Even if your work is not at professional quality (which no one should expect anyway if you are trying to get into education) being able to talk about your reasonings behind the decisions you made in your designs is key. The tutor wants to know you can think critically and theoretically about the work, thats what makes a strong base for education.

If you don't know anything about theory then its time to drop the youtube tutorials and pick up a book. Don't look here for inspiration, /gd/ is a cesspool. Make a behance account and follow 20 peoples whose work you like then you will have a constant feed of work they are appreciating and commenting on.

Also we can't tell you what to cut from portfolio without seeing it all.
see:
>In my experience a smaller portfolio of consisting of only your best work is better than trying to create a large portfolio.
>>
File: Stationery-Mockup.jpg (831 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
Stationery-Mockup.jpg
831 KB, 1920x1280
>>269421
Not OP but I got into university with about 5 pieces of work give or take. UK here. Will post some of the shit.
>>
File: Große Höfe.jpg (807 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
Große Höfe.jpg
807 KB, 1200x1000
>>269421
>>269424
>>
File: Home Page.jpg (427 KB, 1903x1014) Image search: [Google]
Home Page.jpg
427 KB, 1903x1014
>>269421
>>269427
>>
File: poster.png (3 MB, 792x1224) Image search: [Google]
poster.png
3 MB, 792x1224
>>269421
>>269428
>>
>>269429
I studied graphic design at a college in Canada for about 3 months before applying to a uni in the UK. This work is all pretty trash and contains tons of copyrighted shit but I feel I've improved a lot since then. Anyway don't worry about your portfolio too much just explain your theory and you will be fine.
>>
>>269424
I'm applying for a college/uni in The Netherlands, thanks for posting some of your work! I'm afraid mine isn't nearly as good for the moment :')

>>269429
Also big fan of the band haha :D
>>
>>269421
Nah, it's all in a tiff/pdf format and I have no idea where to upload it.

>>269422
I'm in Singapore. One problem I have is that I get really nervous during interviews. I could have a really well-written explanation of the development attached to the work and I still won't be able to say it to the interviewer which was what happened today.

Any recommended books? The deadline for the other university I'm applying to is at the end of this month. Good idea on the behance account, can't believe I haven't gotten to it already. And true on the smaller portfolio idea. The first question they asked me was to talk about my best work and I was seriously stumped. I worked hard and like all of them but there wasn't one I was really satisfied with

>>269424
Those are really good, anon. Thanks for the inspo. And did you actually create that website or was it just a draft?
>>
>>269439
The /gd/ wiki in the sticky has a lot of good book recommendations located on the right of the page. I would recommend looking specifically at Visual Signs by David Crow. It teaches you about semiotics which is basically the theory and reasoning behind designing.

Also yeah I coded the website as well.

Good luck in your future interviews, glad my work/advice could be of help.
>>
The art and design college I applied and went to had a list of what they wanted to see.
(Funnily enough, in 2005, they still wanted physical projection slides. Could only find one goddamned camera store that could make them, and they were already seeing writing on the wall. God I feel so old...)
>>
>>269440
Thanks alot and damn, that's really impressive. I can't html for shit

>>269442
Projection slides are the little card-like things that make a really cool sound when you put it in the machine? That's kind of cool
>>
>>269424
>that logo
>>
>>269424

whats the logo supposed to be? I can't figure out how it's related to skating. Its okay I guess. I feel like people just do the lowered opacity logo on the business card or letterhead to take up space. There's no real meaning behind it and it seems to be overdone for some reason. I get the appeal of keeping things minimal but you literally have no design elements but the logo.

It doesn't necessarily mean its bad its just, simple and boring.
>>
10 signs of a dick suck. psychological damage to directors interviewing you?

just put Dick Suck and they will seriously not notice, because they care about composition, not literary value.

if they catch on, you're good to go and explain your twist to shit. if they don't read it and reject you, they're no good to critique you, just there to look at your work and move on...possibly leech from your ideas.

remember/consider the source. rejected? the critics are no good. move on, you're better than that.
>>
>>269932
Glad it portrayed what I wanted it to.

>>269936
The logo was mean't to resemble a cityscape as well as a hand sticking its middle finger up.
It was for a fictional underground skateboarding brand.

Please keep in my mind this logo was made with about a month of design experience and was the first logo I made (basically what this thread is about). I know it's shit, I referred to it as shit but everyones work is shit when starting out. My work has improved a lot since the creation of this logo.
>>
>>269981

ah okay. I'm sorry if I came across as a prick with the criticism.

even if you think its shit I can still get the appeal of going for a minimalistic look.
>>
>>269981
I think the logo/text looked better in >>269424 than in >>269428.

I like it.
>>
>>270042
Its not that you came across as a dick, I just wasn't looking for criticism(>>270048
). Someone in the thread earlier asked to see examples of work that was used in a portfolio for applying to university.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.