[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help trying to recreate this effect.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: HowToGetThisEffect.jpg (48 KB, 962x1272) Image search: [Google]
HowToGetThisEffect.jpg
48 KB, 962x1272
So, long story short: I somehow really got preoccupied with recreating the authentic VHS tape look. Not chromatic aberration or "just shift channels", but the actual affect based on the way VCRs worked, because 99% of people got it all wrong. I do it out of pure enthusiasm. I'm not interested in various shortcuts like "just download this plugin" because they all look wrong to me, I'm interested in near-perfect emulation of the tape look just for the sake of it.

I read up on NTSC, YIQ/YUV, read up on VCRs, watched lots of VHS footage and came pretty close to understanding what exactly produced the "look" of VHS tape.

Right now I'm trying to understand how to recreate this tape color "bleeding" you can see on pic related. And I just don't know how to do it. I work in GIMP and the obvious solution would be to duplicate a layer, use motion blur on it and set it to "lighten only", but it didn't have the desired effect. "Wind" filter produced very thin stripes which didn't look like intended, but came very close. I'm out of ideas, it seems like I've tried everything GIMP has to offer.

Any ideas?
>>
>Any ideas?
Not really.
Emulating VHS properly is hard as fuck (you can try twitch or whatever plugin but it doesn't feel allright).
I think the go-to method isn't about recreating it but about doing so.

>Shoot whatever you want in a modern camera and get 2 VCRs.
>Make a VHS copy of your footage
>Make a copy of the copy
>Repeat till its degraded enough
>Capture the VHS with Premiere
>>
>>269171
Not OP but this is quite hard to control before you start getting color dropouts or even brightness shifts which are very annoying and make it hard to watch.

Not to mention you will be getting same artifacts with every new batch of passes. So that might turn boring fast. The variety of artifacting is probably related to old worn out or damaged tapes, faulty vcr mechanics. NTSC tapes also have less detail than PAL ones.
>>
File: fantanoVHS6.png (499 KB, 606x611) Image search: [Google]
fantanoVHS6.png
499 KB, 606x611
>>269171
>>269173
OP here.

My bad, looks like I've made a very dumb mistake… This snapshot I posted makes it look like the tape is "bleeding" to the right. But in fact it's just the lighting of the room in the shot.

Anyway, I think I'm close to finally understanding it… Right now what I make looks like pic related.
>>
>>269160
[spoiler]Hello, /vg/.[/spoiler]

Short of emulating how a vhs stores the signal and simulating degradation on a physical level (i.e. with magnetic fields equations and shit), there's not much you can do.
Get two vcrs and start re-recording from one to the other, as >>269171 said. It's the simplest and fastest way. Else you'll be keyframing lots of things an-
>GIMP
Oh hell nigga, good luck with that. Maybe look up some gegl filters or whatever gimp uses and see how they work.
>>
>>269191
Actually, I'm not a big fan of videogames. I have always liked the look of VHS tapes, then I saw vaporwave and felt really glad I discovered it. But then I saw all the '90s kids who jumped on the trend hype bandwagon, and felt immense repulsion towards it. I wouldn't want anything to do with all that kind of faggotry anymore, even though I still enjoy all that '90s aesthetics.
>>
>>269171
>>269191
As for capturing the VHS tapes. Obviously, that's the most authentic way to obtain the VHS look.

But I think I'm on my way of understanding this effect. I usually start from decomposing the image into YCbCr or YIQ layers. Then I blur chroma and luma horizontally and apply unsharp masking to layers. So far it has produced pretty similar results.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.