[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I'm switching from Photoshop to GIMP because freedom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1457137630796.png (51 KB, 666x457) Image search: [Google]
1457137630796.png
51 KB, 666x457
So, I'm switching from Photoshop to GIMP because freedom and I was wondering if /gd/ has helpful pasta/guides? Please point me into the right direction.
>>
>>267778
Yeah, go back to photoshop.
>>
>>267778
gimp.org/books/
>>
>>267779
This.

It's $20 (or $50 for everything) a month OP. So cut down on your bitch coffee and energy drinks budget and just get CC.
>>
>>267778
Gimp is not a photoshop replacement. It's feature-set doesn't even come close. I wish it did.
>>
>>267809
It's open source, learn to code and you can help make it a photoshop replacement.
>>
File: lisää bassoa.png (6 MB, 3471x1659) Image search: [Google]
lisää bassoa.png
6 MB, 3471x1659
well i have used gimp for about 6 years (and im studying as media-assistant) i kinda like it more, its much nicer to use but some features at photoshop are much more advanced (specially selection tools) if you need help at something, feel free to ask.
>>
>>267799
People pay for photoshop?
>>
>>267839
if you want to be taken seriously yes.
>>
>>267839
With the new subscription based service, yes I believe a lot do. I use it mainly for photography, and they always update it for each camera, lens, etc released. So i need it to be constantly updated
>>
File: 1323448671474.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1323448671474.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>267841
>>267840
>>267799
>paying for a subscription to use the same features that have existed for more than 20 years in previous versions
>>
>>267778
Real talk OP, if this isn't bait. GIMP is an amazing program for being open source, it's a good solution for quick photo manipulation and basic design.
I suppose if you work with it long enough you can even use it for small projects. But that's where it ends. And believe me when you reach that limit you're going to regret not staying with the Adobe environment. I used GIMP for five years, then switched.

Also, why the fuck are you asking for guides? If you can use PS the learning curve for GIMP is fucking plane.
>>
I will point you, but in a different direction.
https://krita.org/
http://mypaint.org/
http://www.rawtherapee.com/ or https://www.darktable.org/
Gimp is okay, but this set of tools might be a better solution, depending on what are you working with.
>>
>>267778
>he fell for the freedom meme
>>
>>268086
>more than 20 years

Yeah no.
>>
>>268148
sorry, 10 years
>>
>>268382
Still no.

Just because you don't use the new features doesn't mean that no one does.
>>
>>268386
kek, name a new feature that isn't some "auto" bullshit or proprietary compatibility update and is worthy of a monthly fee.
>>
>>268388
Agreed, the main thing that has changed lately is the look and the location of some stuff. Don't see a reason to go past CS 6.0 myself.
>>
Can GIMP do CMYK and spot colors yet?
>>
>>268402
Kek
>>
>>268408
i guess not?
>>
>>267778
Diehard gimp user here, stick with photoshop. Photoshop is absolutely the better program, and the only reason I use gimp over it is because I've used gimp for so long that anything just feels too different to work productivity in, despite being functionally better. I mean for fucks sake, gimps pen tool is a fucking joke, and if you're doing graphic design work, you need to rescale shit on a whim.
>>
>>267831
You have a geo metro. Learn mechanics and transform it into a Ferrari. Asshole.
>>
>>267831
that will never happen, unless you are willing to re-write it from scratch. And at that point, you might as well just start a new project without all the bloat and the toxic community.

>>268417
it cannot. Krita can do CMYK and all the other things that are missing from GIMP, + it can use GIMP/GMIC filters/plugins. It's also faster and has a more flexible/configurable UI that doesn't suck ass, and it works with tablets.
>>
>>267778
Gimp is good for drawing, and image editing, but is very limited if you're going to use it for graphic design. Stick with photoshop.
>>
>>269018
GIMP is not good for drawing. It's absolutely terrible for drawing.

It's passable for image editing, but lacks important features like higher bit-depths, CMYK, ...

Krita is better than GIMP at both of those tasks, if you want free. clip studio paint is also nice for drawing & painting if you're willing to pay.
>>
>>267778
intall krita and inkscape alongside it. together they are pretty good.
>>
>>269022
>but lacks important features like higher bit-depths, CMYK, ...
we can only wait for 2.10, that will have both of those (cmyk is already available through plugins). it's said to support 16bit.
>>
>>267840
You think you are taken seriously LOL
>>
>>269469
Show some serious work you've done with gimp or kindly stfu.
>>
>>267840
recently switched to paying because I am going to make two books that will be published, is this smart or am I just wasting my money?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.