[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digital voodoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: eeggg.jpg (2 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
eeggg.jpg
2 KB, 150x150
Not sure if this is the right board to ask if so please tell me where to ask but anyway can someone tell me where I can find information about "digital magic" which means changing the colors and objects in a way that can make you feel something without you realising what really happens in the video/picture.
Here is one example if you don't know about what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nasajim108/videos
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkG-KMx3qH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-KXO-9Ho7w
more stuff about it
>>
Are you trying to spoop me up OP ?
>>
>>267327
They sure have something really sinister in them and thats why I'm asking here about it.I really want to understand how things like this work.
>>
So let me make sure I've got this right. You're asking about how certain colors unconsciously affects your attitude towards a thing?
>>
>>267341
Yes but also different combinations of images/effects.If you have some time just look at the videos I posted and more preferably the nasajim108 ones to see what I mean.
>>
>>267344
are you asking for the theory behind it or the technical skills/tools required to make something like that?
>>
>>267345
The theory obviously but I wont refuse to know about both even thought they dont look like too difficult to made.
>>
>>267344
Oh, well those videos are just inspiring revulsion through confusion and absurdity. There's some juxtaposition there between familiar and unfamiliar, and some stuff that I think is being intended to be seen as disturbing because it's old.

But by and large there's no real design elements in there, it's basically just someone's pure id. Nobody went into it thinking "Well if I wear a pink shirt instead of a blue shirt, then that will make people think/feel this way." He just threw it on because he thought it might add to the fucking weirdness of it all.

Saw a lot of this kind of shit in art college from certain types. They just think shock value through absurdism is somehow worthwhile, try not to read too much into it.
>>
>>267349
I know what you mean and I'm pretty much desensitized from things like that but this videos still make me feel really uneasy.Its like being brainwashed by them.
>>
I think I get what you're saying. The same effect is also in a lot of Apple advertisements. (Ex. Apple Watch - choose colorfully https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZJHbvDWzFQ) The music and video seem to match perfectly. You're on the right track, op.
>>
Saw your thread on /x/ as well. Looks like you've managed to hit up the only two boards I frequent, which probably obligates me to post something, but I'll be doing it in my native tongue, which is /gd/. Ask if you need anything defined or clarified.

If you want to make someone "feel something without realizing" what's going on, it's incredibly hard to do that with just static imagery. Certain colors have certain effects on people, we talk about color psychology all the time here, but the effects aren't nearly as pronounced as some would like to believe. And you can invoke all kinds of different images to create different reactions, but the tricky part is doing it without your subjects realizing why they're having said reactions. You could probably make people feel uncomfortable by intentionally breaking the grid of an image. Toying with forced perspective can place someone off balance. As can using clashing or disruptive patterns.

What we typically work toward on this board is the opposite: creating a sense of organization, harmony, and order through the careful use of grids, colors, type, and imagery.

Video is probably much easier to accomplish what you're trying to do. The Shining is a masterclass in creating dread in a viewer without them realizing what's taking place. The crafty use of camera tricks is a notable example, like following someone on screen around a series of hallways that architecturally can not exist, or showing a window that points outside but is located deep within the building itself. These little disruptions in the reality of the situation inspire more fear in viewers than the actual in-your-face horror that takes place in the film.

The use of certain frequencies and tones can elicit a number of reactions as well. Study up on binaural audio, and watch Irreversible for a good example on how to use certain tones to get under a viewer's skin (horrendous rape scene notwithstanding). Now get the fuck out of /gd/. I like my boards separate.
>>
>>267452
I never said I was going to use only images since I'm going to make videos just couldn't find a better board about it.I would have to try by myself what really works because most of the things you said are really basic and I know more than enough about audio engineering.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.