[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So...Why are Mac computers the industry standard for Graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: hero-macs.png (125 KB, 602x342) Image search: [Google]
hero-macs.png
125 KB, 602x342
So...Why are Mac computers the industry standard for Graphic Design, and creative arts in general again? I know it harkens back to the past when Mac was the platform that had PS first, and all that crap, but seriously...Why is it still considered the industry standard?

I've done design work on both Mac, and Windows ocmputers, and it doesn't affect the end result of my work at all. Seriously, why is the industry still so stuborn to change? Why do they think MAC IS THE BEST FOR DESIGNERS!!! Still? BTW, I'm not hating on Apple, just genuinely curious af about this subject, and wanted to hear /gd/ 's opinion on it.

Typing this from my Macbook Pro.
>>
>>265760
I'm also interested what others will say but for starters:

—The way OS X handles fonts

—ColorSync

—Generaly OS X can be more pleasant to use with touch gestures, screen scaling etc

—Aesthetic aspect of Apple hardware/software
>>
>>265760
in the tech world if you show up for an interview (back end) and you said you only know windows they probably will laugh at your face.
for design is kinda similar i don't think mac's are the "industry standard" but rather an status symbol. i was just reading about this photographer who said something like "i use mac's because when people see the apple logo they associate apple products with a higher level of professionalism and therefore they immediately recognize you as a pro even if you're not."
another thing i have experience is in the 3D industry the standard seems to be Windows 7 for some reason (maybe the compatibility with most 3d softwares)

watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPIqGi7MWY

and also have you read walter isaacson's steve jobs biography? it's pretty interesting i.m.o.
>>
>>265760
I was halfway through a blogpost to answer your post when an easier though came to mind.

See that gray haired old jew sitting in the managers office?

He is why.

He started using macs cause they saved him money and shit aint gonna change until something way better comes along.

And by that time no one will even know what a fucking book or magazine is.

You want to use a PC?
Become a 3d Artist.
Lotsa PCs in that work environment.
>>
>>265760
Been using a Mac for the last 5 years and decided to buy a brand new PC since I got a great deal (the PC was almost $1200 cheaper than the Mac I was looking at).

Honestly, I'm really enjoying the PC. All my Adobe programs run super smoothly, I've had no typeface issues and large format files save very quickly.

Will I go back to Mac? Probably down the track when I'm earning more $$$, but for now, the PC is working well for what I need it to do.
>>
>>265760
most people don't give a shit about what's in their computers and don't care to learn

a mac(book) is just part of the designer "uniform" and people will buy whatever they need to feel like they fit in
>>
I'm new to graphic design and I'm having a hard time finding out about 1 thing in particular in PS

How do you draw a line that is exactly, lets say, 10 cm? Without just looking at the length of the line and moving the mouse until it hits 10

Sorry for unrelated question
>>
>>265760
I honestly think the MacBooks are a rip, but the iMacs offer a lot for the money. The biggest plus is the all-in-one form. There is no box to put under your desk. I am a product designer so I agree a lot with what >>265764 said. I also try to buy nicely designed things, because poorly design things bother the shit out of me.
>>
>>265769
How did he save money on them initially?
>>
>>265783
Jesus Christ make a new thread for heaven's sake
>>
>>265791
If what you mean is the current Macbook then yes, its a worthless expensive piece of shit to attract rich dumbassess with the gold color. But classic MBP is the shit really.
>>
>>265760
Handles fonts better, easier/smoother workflow and shortcuts, can preview any type of file without opening it up. Retina screens are a godsend for editing photo/video and are worth it in their own right. Exclusive software such as Sketch, Final Cut, Affinity etc.

In general they're more stable in a professional/studio environment and handle saving to servers much more reliably than other systems.

More energy efficient. Look good.
>>
>>265764

vk
.com/doc8069473_222554339

there's the link to the book in case anyone wants it.
another interesting thing i have seen around and always remember is the old Steve Jobs presentations/demos (it really shows how that guy care about every single detail of the products) for example there's one presentation when he's on stage and actually start using a windows xp then he complains about something and everyone laughs. the best presentations of him are the first ipod presentation, the one about introducing itunes store and the new imac introduction they're all on youtube b.t.w.
>>
mac is so great because:

any picture of a vividly-colored, shiny piece of technology against a white background makes designers wet. oh, and put that product in a commercial because its provocative poses in motion'll getcha even wetter. (yeah, i'm talking to YOU, folks.)

B. "designers have money, they can afford to 'look good' and 'feel smart.'"
but are you good OR smart? NO, just POOR.

*goes insane* SURE, "GOOD" MY ASS! i wear the same outfit for 2 weeks straight, shower maybe 0-1 time a week, and "go home to work" so i have an excuse to secretly use a PC.

most video games are PC friendly, not really mac--so why not get the best of both worlds so you can play your games, then tab out/pretend to work when you think someone is spying on you from afar?

function > looks any day of the week, stink days or not :3

Sent from my shiny, provocative iPhone.

(fucking hypocrite, self. seriously plugging PC and functionality and own an ipad air 2 and iPhone 6. wait, no, really, 2 white apple items that i can set out for people to see is just a ruse for my badass PC skillz.)
>>
>>265817
autism
>>
p. much what >>265762 said, plus historic reasons. Anyone who was in the business during the PPC days knows what I'm talking about.
>>
>>265760
>Three simple answers
Software support
Retina screens
Warranties
>>
>>265805
>>265762
this

also
I think you are underestimating the impact being Mac Exclusive for the first 6 software versions has on an industry. That was only about 20 years ago, and that generation's workforce is still in the industry.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 512x384
>>265760
Because at a professional level it's all about efficiency and macs are the most efficient computer.

That's why chefs use high end stoves/pans/utensils. Why DJs use high end headphones/turntables/speakers. Why artists use quality paints/brushes/canvases.

When you're a professional you use the best tool you can. Sure you can do the same job on a cheaper system, but in an industry environment it's all about time and money, and doing things on a reliable, efficient system is key.
>>
does adobe still port from mac to windows? or is the windows version built from the ground up now?
>>
>>265817
>function > looks

shit designer detected
>>
>>265779
I'm in the same boat as you , I have 7yo MBP but this time I've decided to go with a PC because $$ . I actually hackintoshed it for a while but windows 10 is doing great and never gave me a single crash or BSOD unlike 7.

About adobe programs in windows my only complain is Illustrator, I kinda crashes frequently
>>
>>265791
I also agree with this nigga, specially for those with 5K retina.. yeah I know still expensive but hey, have you seen the prices of 4k/5k monitors? I think iMacs worth the money, Mac Pros.. meh
>>
The people who will tell you they're the "industry standard" are the ones using them. Then they'll passionately defend the brand when anyone brings up Apple's habits of over pricing and planned obsolescence, or mentions that you can get "retina" (branding) monitors for PC (like it even matters that the human eye can only discern so many pixels), or that you don't need excessively priced proprietary adaptors and hardware for PC, or that you can build and upgrade and repair a PC by yourself without shipping it off to some hipster in Cupertino only to have him do exactly the same work then charge you and then wait to ship it back.

Long story short, the opinion that Apple is the industry standard is just that: an opinion. One that's commonly held by people who buy into the brand because they want their barista to think they're cool.

>source: this whole thread and every other one like it, and all the replies that will follow this post
>>
>>265846
/thread
>>
>>265817
Wow. I don't even know what to say. Kill yourself, and I mean it this time.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>265846
Every single creative/advertising/web/motion/marketing agency uses macs. Do you really think it's because they're "cool"?

No. It's because of all the valid reasons that have already been listed in this thread. Just because they're more expensive doesn't mean they aren't valid. Like someone said earlier, a chef would buy the most expensive ingredients and use high quality equipment because it makes him better/more effective at his job.

Macs are the best creative tools for everything apart from 3D.

Even our account managers use macs because they're so reliable. We reservice 10+ year old iMacs/MacBooks which run perfectly fine.
>>
>>265908
>Every single creative/advertising/web/motion/marketing agency uses macs. Do you really think it's because they're "cool"? No. It's because of all the valid reasons that have already been listed in this thread.

Actually it's because Macs u s e d to be better for design applications, more than 20 years ago. And people in agencies have already been using them then, therefore never tried any alternatives but stuck with their opinion that "windows machines aren't up to par in the design field". Which is total bullshit nowadays. Since about 8 years it's even. I'm working on both systems and although there are minor differences in handling, none of them takes the lead in anything. Hi res displays (stfu with your "retina"-apple-marketing-lingo, use your own language, mthfckrs) are really cool and should be standard by now, but personally I prefer them seperated from the computer casing, so iMacs are not my choice.

So it's all a matter of preference, not which one's better. If you like hi res displays all in one computers with a terrific build quality, go for a mac. If you don't see a point in paying way too much for a computer, go for windows. The days of bluescreens are long gone, even if this information hasn't made it to Mac communities yet.
>>
the UI
>duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>265846
>Long story short, the opinion that Apple is the industry standard is just that: an opinion.

>Opinion

It's not an opinion, it's a fact it's the industry standard. It's the most commonly used machine in the creative industry.
>>
>>265825
>and macs are the most efficient computer
provide proofs
>>
>>265936
This
I recently saw a gd job advertised on gumtree which specified owning a MacBook as a necessity for application
Crazy shit
>>
>>265805
/g/ here
While I agree with most of this, I'm not sure how they would save to server 'more' reliably. Used server storage in several different types of environments I wouldn't understand how a mac would be any more reliable. I don't hate mac btw. Just my autism was slightly triggered.
>>
>>265946
UNIX based servers are generally more reliable and efficient than Windows ones. All of our the machines in our studio do automatic timemachine backups which are saved to a server. We also have a separate server which we archive old jobs/film footage to.
>>
>>265936
>citation needed
Mac fags in full blown autist mode. See them scurrying to defend a brand, OP? The irony of people who aspire to work on brand identity buying so heavily into one is like a delicacy.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 300x300
>>265988
I think the majority of people in this thread that are "defending" macs are giving sound reasons.

>reliability
>better workflow
>retina screens
>exclusive software
>handles fonts/colours better

The people in this thread hating on macs:

>too expensive (maybe for individuals but not for businesses)
>opinions
>too cool

What is the advantage of using a Windows machine other than price or 3D software in the creative industry?
>>
>>266001
You're right bro, businesses can afford to overpay for everything. Why would you consider cost efficiency when running a business??? Just but the the expensive one that gives you less power for your money!!
>>
>>265760
I use a PC as a main workstation and a macbook on the go. Best combo IMO, pretty much all laptops are chinese shit.
>>
>>265760
Sketch.

/thread
>>
>>265783
make it in AI and transfer it to PS senpai
>>
>>265762
Also creative types aren't typically good with tech, Macs are very simplistic compared to windows. Even today windows is very quirky when it comes to configuring and setting things up.
>>
>>266013
>expecting employees to defrag regularly
>expecting employess to run maintanence software
>expecting employees to know how to network
>expecting employees to solve there own driver issues
>expecting employees to navigate DLL hell

it's not exactly overpaying when you get your money's worth.
>>
>ITT: anecdotal Apple dickriding presented as facts
>not pictured: statistics, citation, sound arguments, or heterosexuals.
>>
>>265846
the people who refused to believe that apple products are industry standard cant wrap their mind that something they dont personally like is a piece of shit being hyped by sheeples
>>
>>266135
Basement dweller virgin detected
>>
>>266151
Nope, first non-opinionated post here.
I'd also like to see some facts to prove that "Macs are more reliable", "allow for a better workflow" or "have exclusive software".
>>
>>266162
>more reliable

See >>266059 In an office environment having a machine which you don't have to constantly maintain and update = reliability.

>workflow

This is probably more opinion based but it gives lots of benefits when developing apps as it syncs better with iOS. Cleaner UI, easier to drag/drop documents across apps, gestures, preview any file without opening, finder etc.

>exclusive software

Okay you're just trolling now. There's loads of creative software which is Mac only. Sketch being one the main design/UX packages which has become a new industry standard.

Affinity is a new affordable creative suite which a lot of freelancers have moved over to.

Final Cut Pro, Logic (albeit for music), Aperture, Keynote are all made by Apple.

Not to mention coding in a UNIX environment has many advantages for certain things.

Windows computers have always been good at one thing: gaming. If you need to play games then get a PC. For any serious creative task then Mac is the only choice.
>>
>>266178
>Windows computers have always been good at one thing: gaming. If you need to play games then get a PC. For any serious creative task then Mac is the only choice.

Umm, what about 3D?
>>
>>266200
And 3D
>>
>>266059
Where the hell did you work with that kind of environment?

While its true that Windows OS are easy to fuck up, this prgm called "common sense current year pro edition" will make your experience absolutely flawless. The only thing that I, and a lot of others, dislike in win 7 and 10 is font rendering. Hi dpi displays are available for both platforms, color calibration can be done in a few minutes you lazy fucks, "workflow" is the same with most software suites. All the other reasons are subjective and based on brand worship, don't get me wrong I like macs but there aren't solid reasons to back up the cult like following nowadays
>>
File: 1323444539046.jpg (20 KB, 307x320) Image search: [Google]
1323444539046.jpg
20 KB, 307x320
>>266226
>hi, i've never worked in the industry before, let alone at multiple agencies, but here are some of my basement dwelling opinions
>>
Prior to cheap laser printers and by cheap i mean $5000. Print shops used a thing called a photo image setter. Instead of printing out sheets of paper, it printed to lithography film that had to be developed. This was much more costly and time consuming. And back in the 90s, turnaround time became a major selling point to desktop publishing, even if it was a step back in quality in the short term.

I remember the boss bringing in a PC that had windows 3.1 on it as a cheaper way to get more workstations. It was very kludgy.
Widows has come a long way since then. And with platform commonality with Adobe applications there are fewer reasons to go with macs if all you care about is price.

One thing macs are good for is longevity.
Since publishing and graphics doesnt advance at the rate that gaming does, you can expect to get a lot of years out of a piece of hardware.
The imac I am typing this on was purchased in 2008. It has had some upgrades, but it runs illustrator and Photoshop just fine.
>>
>>265846
Macs are to modern graphic design what fountain pens are to academia--absolutely useless, overyl-expensive bullshit meant to present an image rather than actually perform a function.
>>
>>265805
>shortcuts
My fucking ass it has better shortcuts.

You have to press like 5 buttons on a Mac for a 2 button shortcut on PC.
>>
>>265760
Firstly yeah the fonts thing.
Secondly I do a little web design & development too and OSX just has a plethora of tools that make your workflow run smoother.
>>
>>265942
Not him buuut:

>Automating tasks like image resizing and compression through command line tools

>generate dummy text through command line tools for when your mocking stuff up

>Font manager infinitley better, makes keeping them in order etc a breeze

>dat monitor

>handy OS wide applications like ColourSnapper, Alfred etc.

Theres more but I'm sleepy, basically you can automate the fuck out of stuff with OSX if you take the time to set up your environment.
>>
>>265988
>brand =/=work environment
Apple are asshats. But they make a good desktop OS.
>>
>Blanket thread statement
If any of you think any Mac(or any PC) is expensive for a company, you need to stop kidding yourselves.

$4000 for a piece of hardware that will last them 3-5 years is NOTHING compared to the price your company pays in insurance just for your our ass being in the building.

This debate is purely a personal/home/poor ass studio matter, and you will work with whatever computer sits on your desk when you are lucky enough to get a job; and you will like it!
>>
File: image.gif (168 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
168 KB, 375x375
tfw I started a job at a new agency and they bought me a maxed out 5k iMac
>>
The thing about graphic design is, once you reach a certain level, you can't get any better unless you use a Mac.

It gives you the freedom to create at a level way above anything you can do on a Windows machine.

All top designers use macs for this reason. It allows them to unlock their full potential.
>>
>not designing on Linux
>>
>>266520
Same goes for programmers, musicians and every other field.

Basically, if you want to achieve anything in your life - get wealthy, famous or change the world - you need to get a Mac. There is no other way.

Guess why Mac doesn't have many video games? Because they are a waste of time - having a Mac automatically increases your productivity and helps you with your self discipline.

Get a Mac. Change the world.
>>
>>266520
>>266537
Although these posts are actually sarcasm I've noticed how much more productive I am using a Mac. I used to play games quite a bit and now I just focus on my work (and go outside more).
>>
>>266536
Does Adobe even run on Linux?
>>
>>266562
>using Adobe to design anything
>>
>>266313
This is literally "I've never used anything but a mac so ill defend basic tools available on any platform as unique mac features" the post.
>>
>>265908
I work in a design house and it's true that the only reason macs are favoured is because the older md bought into the meme 20 years ago and hasn't even used a pc in 10 years. They just keep buying macs cos it's what they've always done.
>>
>>266313
>generate dummy text through command line tools for when your mocking stuff up
is a lorem ipsum that hard to find for you,stupid american idiot?
im a professional web designer and when im coding on sublime text on my windows 7 PC,i just type lorem and hit tab and i get a paragraph of lorem ipsum.You could just grab it with a ctrl+c from any clipboard or text file or website or whatever.just how much of an imbecile are you?
>>
>>266226
It's the cost to the company, not the user. When you have a ton of fuckwits with Windows computers, there's always things happening, especially with networking.
>>
>>266622
But I've worked in new agencies where the staff are all 20-30 and they use macs.
>>
People in this thread defending Windows/hating on Macs either:

A poorfags with no job
Have never worked in industry
Jealous
>>
>>265817
Lmao who the fuck types like that?
Kill yourself.
>>
>>265846
I like muh ganoo+unix, not having an enormous laptop to lug around, having good wireless drivers, and I like touch gestures working when I need them.

Hence I like MacBooks. Plus, OSX would be god-tier if it didn't have to come on Apple's shitty hardware.
>>
Personally I use the 2015 iMac 5k for design as te wide colour gamut mixed with the high resolution. It's probably one of the first Apple products I've found to not be too overpriced when compared to Windows PC's. The 5K display alone must have cost a fortune as other monitors of that resolution are really costly, especially with the DCI-P3 gamut.
>>
>>265762
>>265760

My first computer was a Mac.

My second computer was also a Mac because everything on the first computer was Mac.

And so on...

They've all been second-hand except the most recent one (first new computer ever).
>>
File: 4ph5j.jpg (58 KB, 499x549) Image search: [Google]
4ph5j.jpg
58 KB, 499x549
>>265760
>>
I use a PC at home and trudge along with a Mac at school. Because it's what the design teachers tell us its what we HAVE to use.

The macs are ok.
It's more a pain in the ass for me to do anything on it. The mice are absolute shit, I guess that's more of the school's problem. Because I can just bring my own mouse.

But the thing that fucking irks me the absolute most.

Is the GLASS FUCKING SCREENS.
No matter what fucking angle you tilt that shit at, you get a massive fucking glare. Good luck designing anything dark, unless you like staring at yourself the entire time.
Granted you could turn the lights off, but why would should I have to do that just so apple can tote around "WOAH GLASS SCREENS" like it's a fucking feature.

The screen is ok when there isnt a massive glare, but there's glare like 80% of the time.
>>
>>267194
What sort of room are using them in? Just work in indirect light and they're fine. You must have shitty lighting at school.

If it's really a problem you can pull the glass off and just use exposed screen below.
>>
designers like attractive objects and industrial design, PCs are generally ugly inside and out in comparison. There are a couple stand-out PCs that definitely aren't but a lot of the shit drags the image down. Which brings up the second point, PCs are fragmented compared to macs with so many different manufacturers, combinations of parts, screen resolutions etc. Mac is a more standardized experience if you aren't using from now, 2000, and everything in between.

That's not to say mac is better (I prefer it but I don't really care), but that seems to be enough reasons for designers to choose the platform. They then design things for mac first, PC second or never. Same with developers, if we're gonna separate them from designers, OSX is more similar to Linux than Windows so there's more cross-development/platform switching, and someone who develops for OSX is going to stay that way. You also need OSX to develop for and publish to iOS at all, lot of developers jumped ship due to that.
>>
>>267194
Are they older macs? New ones have very good glare reduction, but ya it can be a problem depending on where your mac is. I find matte screens so dull in comparison though, not sure if that's poor anecdotal experience or physics
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.