[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: things teachers have told you that you think are wrong/stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1458845568143.jpg (102 KB, 344x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458845568143.jpg
102 KB, 344x1080
ITT: things teachers have told you that you think are wrong/stupid

>"every single file in the industry gets packaged in indesign, even if it wasn't made in indesign"
>"sketches need to be identical to how your final piece turns out"
>any teacher that has made us class critique sketches multiple times then not even critique the final project or look at it
>anytime a teacher has said It should be 35% done by next class, or some other ridiculous made up on the spot percentage that isn't an accurate way of measuring progress completed
>>
>Dreamweaver is an important tool to learn
that's the only thing that bothered me
>>
>>263931
>"sketches need to be identical to how your final piece turns out"
Your teachers sound like hacks with loud opinions. A sketch is meant to save yourself time, nothing more. Wether you actually sketch or not is optionial.

More /ic then /gd/, but:
>Art school. One teacher frequently cites Betty Edwards's "Drawing with the right side of the brain" as if it's the end-all-be-all of drawing.

Good teacher experience:
>Media art school. Teacher shits on everything we make, especially any typography reminiscent of dafont. Says typography is most important.
That very same year he stopped working there, he was pretty old though. In hindsight i would probably have loved him now.
>>
>>263931
my gd teacher tried making us create a video using powerpoint instead of after effects (Ae was on the computers) the only reason was because he didnt know how to use Ae

shit teacher
>>
>>264363
How even
>>
>>264381
what does this mean?
>>
>if sketching an under-drawing for a painting NEVER EVER use lead pencil because it smudges you have to use a special watercolour pencil
bullshit just let me draw it

>there are warm and cool colours but theres warm blues and cool yellows too, this is a huge big deal and I want to be the only one to ever tell you this and emphasise it so youll be confused and never just go with a simple blue or red
ok
>>
>>263931
>any teacher that has made us class critique sketches multiple times then not even critique the final project or look at it
Fuck, my /gd/ professor does this shit and it pisses me off so bad.
I spent all that fucking work on a project, I want to show it off.
No one but the people around me knows what it looks like, and all the rest of the class has to go off is the sketches of rough ideas we critiqued.

I put the work in for people to see the shit, not for me to fucking look at it. I've been looking at it for hours, I know what it looks like.

Plus I like knowing what my classmates are up to and different ways I could have solved the problems.

No crits piss me off to no end.
Yeah you don't do it in the field, but you show your clients your work and that's almost the same thing.
>>
For a while I was teaching photography and they required me to teach ingestion via Lightroom, which had the most arcane way of hiding your files I've ever seen. I ended up switching to Bridge and showing my students how shitty Lightroom was at that part specifically.
>>
>>263931
>"every single file in the industry gets packaged in indesign, even if it wasn't made in indesign"

Uhhhh! Pure bullshit! At the end of the day it comes down to a PDF file that is either in RGB or CMYK.

Fuck you professor!
>>
>>264363
>my gd teacher tried making us create a video using powerpoint instead of after effects

My GD professor made us do that too! To tell a story with power point. fucking lame and a waste of my time.
>>
>>265086
>>264363

my teacher didn't try and do this but she was like heavily stressing that if we didn't know powerpoint fluently then we'd be in trouble/wouldn't be taken seriously. like, really? don't they teach you how to make power points starting in like 3rd grade?

OP here, just adding to the list:

>"if you don't know how to animate you won't be able to keep up in the industry"

>"by the time you graduate, you won't need to know coding because there is wordpress"
>>
>>263931
sounds like you're doing a lot of paraphrasing to make these sound more retarded.
>>
>>263958
>Art school. One teacher frequently cites Betty Edwards's "Drawing with the right side of the brain" as if it's the end-all-be-all of drawing.

When did you go to school? The right brain/left brain myth has been debunked for like a decade now.
>>
How can an art teacher not know how to use after effects? It took me 20 minutes to figure out
>>
File: IMAG0001.jpg (382 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0001.jpg
382 KB, 2688x1520
In class right now, applied to the "Kolleg für Kommunikations- und Mediendesign" because of the photography and film part (and some InDesign/Illustrator stuff which I'm already used to since I worked in the field for over a year), fucking liars didn't tell me it's 70% programming and I quit my programming study years ago already due to fairly common reasons despite working and learning in the design/film area since 2008
>>
File: Unbenannt.jpg (58 KB, 1176x525) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.jpg
58 KB, 1176x525
>>266754
that is real Windows 8.0 btw, and two girls in front of me are using 8.0/8.1 right now as well

Best part is: we had a test last week where the USB webserver for a wordpress installation would not work on my notebook - which is why I'm now getting a 5(worst grade achievable here for americans/other gems), but PLOT TWIST: I had 90% on the whole DTP part, including InDesign and Illustrator, but just because fucking wordpress would not initialize correctly I'm getting a total of 0% written into my school report this year. Because: Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator grades get mixed up with Dreamweaver/Wordpress/PHP 50-50 although we're actually having more hours on the programming part. Same teacher by the way and she knows nuts about photography and has shit taste in design imo
>>
>>266754
>which I'm already used to since I worked in the field for over a year
looool
>>
>>266762
I know that that's really not much(Premiere Pro and Photoshop experience goes back to 2007 as I partially said already) but this school right now, I already(actually never did desu) don't learn anything new and I'm in semester 2 of 4.
>>
>>265083
You never worked for a digital magazine
>or a magazine
It's okay
>>
>>266574

the only paraphrasing I did was making the indesign statement one sentence. I made something in photoshop, she asked me to bring it into indesign just to package it and hand in that folder instead of a PSD. I asked whats the reasoning behind it because I wasn't further editing it at all in indesign and thats when she said every file eventually gets packaged in indesign, even when you didn't design it in indesign.

I don't get joy out of teachers saying stupid or wrong things, I'm the one paying to be there. what do I have to gain by making them look bad on an image board?

>>266773

I can't speak for him but I can say that I never have. I understand that there are times where files need to be packaged in indesign but I can't see a reason why you'd make something in one program then bring it into indesign just for the sake of packaging it. I've asked other professors who I have more confidence in their abilities and they told me not to believe everything teachers say because they can be misinformed. which frustrates me because I don't know how they could be teachers and be misinformed about industry practices.
>>
>>263931

>35% done

Nothing scrapes my balls more than declaring that some piece of artwork/design/comp etc. is x% done. Bruh, 80% (lel) of the time this shit is subjective af.
>>
"MAKE IT PERFECT! IT MUST BE PERFECT!"

fucking Germans...
>>
>>266836
>paying for education
what kind of third world country you live?
>>
>>266754
Broda, das ist CSS und keine programmierung, ganz simple scriptingsprache für Web-Design, wenn du das nicht kannst, solltest du dich direkt aufhängen holy shit
>>
>>266754
Ausserdem bist du auf einem Berufskolleg und studierst nicht, also mach mal nicht einen auf super schwierig hier, man kann sich auch anstellen
>>
Das Macht Mich An!
>>
>>266892
>Programmiere ein Lottospiel mit Zahlen aus 1 bis 45 in 6 Durchgängen mit Sortierung nach aufsteigender Größe in Visualbasic
bringt mir nichts wenn ich an die FH Salzburg für eine weitere Filmausbildung will oder beispielsweise als Fotograf weitermachen möchte mit der Ausbildung
>>
>>266893
Ich mach das Berufskolleg vollzeit um mir später den Einstieg ins Studium an ner FH zu erleichtern, wo ich mich neben >1000 Bewerbern anstell
>>
>>266946
I don't speak nazi but I can if you like
>>
>>266992
then do
>>
>be in my advertising class
>get assigned html email blast
>not too complicated to code but still have questions
>ask the teacher for help
>tells me "I don't do coding anymore so I don't remember, try going on lynda though or asking somebody else in the class. you need to figure it out"
>stare at her for a few minutes and walk away

how the fuck are you going to assign something you can't teach.
>>
>>265086
for us it was an advertisement he spent about a month trying to teach us powerpoint from shitty youtube videos. i ended up doing it in after effects and he gave me an A
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.