[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Uncanny in /gd/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6
Weird, possibly complicated question: do any of you guys have an interest in, and would you be able to point me to examples of effective use of the uncanny, macabre,Gothic, and otherworldly in graphic design?

I'd like to see how successful designers have conveyed this type of uneasiness using the formal elements of design, as well as have some ideas about how to work around the subject matter itself while maintaining the proper tone. I'd like to see examples of this that maintain clarity without coming off as too clean or commercial.

Distressed finishes, dark and horror-style subject matter, an element of insanity, fervor or dread in technically successful work is what I'm looking for for inspiration.
>>
File: artchantry-dragstrip.jpg (111 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
artchantry-dragstrip.jpg
111 KB, 700x700
i think those are more common in music-related posters/artworks.
http://www.howdesign.com/design-creativity/design-inspiration/art-chantry/
>>
File: James_Victore-1_18.jpg (132 KB, 406x630) Image search: [Google]
James_Victore-1_18.jpg
132 KB, 406x630
>>
>>
File: Kazumasa_Nagai-9.jpg (242 KB, 579x795) Image search: [Google]
Kazumasa_Nagai-9.jpg
242 KB, 579x795
>>
>>263144
>>263145
>>263146
>>263147
Really appreciate the help. I've gotten roped into some minor ad work in the local music business, and frankly I'm not a designer at all, and the style of art I've been trained in actually probably makes me worse than amateur at this, and any guidance at all is just great.

I'd be embarrassed to even show you guys what I've been throwing together lately. It's painfully terrible.
>>
>>263146
Anything else playing with blackletter styles? This is really eye catching.
>>
>>263140
Look at Dr. Seuss's work.
>>
File: flyer4-9-2016NEW.png (6 MB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
flyer4-9-2016NEW.png
6 MB, 3300x2550
>>263140
Alright, OP here. This is my first effort after some studying and introspection. I will say it's at least tidier than what I'd been doing. I'm aware the centering's not perfect and there are still a lot of problems, kinda stuck with these shit fonts for now, but this poster's in the bag. What can I do to improve on the next one?
>>
>>263404

Try giving more with less.
- don't have too many different colors in the same composition
- try having pictures with higher resolution
- don't use the first font you find
- learn about spaces between texts and individual letters
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.